By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Pre-NPD: Microsoft Expects To Trail In February

I wonder how long this supply constraint excuse will last. They said March in Feb., and now they're saying April.

Around the Network

If MS put this out in the news, it probably means the PS3 did win vs the 360 in NPD's February. How the 360 can be low in supply is beyond me, unless they really are restructuring their SKU offering.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Excuses created for poor sales figures tsk tsk.

you know what I think,,,I think ,they are hoping for a huge boost in april from GTA and now they created a fake shortage(all the sku's of 360 are every where in canada)due to lower demand,,,,,after the boost they will be all like ,yea we had shortages ,,,,,I just hope Sony hit them back hard with multi-exclusive advertising plus the GTA advertising,,,,then I really want to hear their excuse.

Do you guys honestly believe even manufacturing a 360 from scratch and shipping it would take more than 2 weeks if they want to.

DMeisterJ said:
I wonder how long this supply constraint excuse will last. They said March in Feb., and now they're saying April.

They did not say they will be supply constrained in March. They said

"By April, we will be in a very healthy inventory situation."

By April means before April they will be in a very healthy inventory situation. That doesnt mean March 31st they drop a load of machines.  It means during March inventory will build and by April they will have a very healthy inventory.

That is exactly what I have seen at the Best Buys and Targets near my office and home over the past couple of weeks. I hadnt seen a 360 besides an occasional Arcade at either Best Buy or Target until the last weekend in February.  Sincr then I have seen both get supplies and sell out and get resupplied with larger numbers.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
They expect the same thing for March as well. But for April they expect the complete opposite...

GTA4 release and a possible price drop are reasons good enough to foresee a healthy sales situation in April...

kingofwale said:
steverhcp02 said:
does this site correct numbers if theyve been over or undertracked when there is hard evidence such as NPD coming in?

Yes, ioi is pretty good at keeping the numbers as accurate as possible, as soon as possible

I used to think so until I saw the reaction to January NPD numbers.

ioi said:

Reasons why this is the case - blu ray and general market acceptance / good price point is helping PS3 sales, 360 sales have been low due to lack of Elites / Premiums and will likely remain a little low as many are waiting for a price drop which is just around the corner.

Pooper, were you reading that?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

ioi said:

From all the information we get, 360 has been in good supply for about 3-4 weeks now with supply definitely larger than demand so I fail to see where this is really coming from.

As always, I'm sure if PS3 does end up 2,000 units ahead of 360 this month we will be jumped on and criticised by rabid fanboys again. What you all fail to realise is that there is a margin of error on numbers. As far as I'm concerned, the last 5-6 weeks in America have essentially been tied, PS3 ahead some weeks 360 ahead others. I'd expect the two to be close in NPD just as they are in our numbers, and essentially tied (which of course is bad news for MS given their performance through 2007).

Reasons why this is the case - blu ray and general market acceptance / good price point is helping PS3 sales, 360 sales have been low due to lack of Elites / Premiums and will likely remain a little low as many are waiting for a price drop which is just around the corner.

Why VG Chartz gets so much stick in the middle of all this is beyond me, both our figures for 360 and PS3 were within reasonable margins of NPDs last month (don't forget Canada) but at the same time the critical thing that most of you seem to forget is that we are not trying to predict NPD data. We are trying to come up with our own independent figures on how well the various consoles are selling. We intentionally aim to be higher / lower than NPD on certain figures as we feel that when analysing various data sources they have been consistently too high / low on certain figures in the past. You also have to remember that Canada is not simply 7% of America - Canada figures are a different beast in their own right, as are the other small regions that make up the "Americas" figures here on VGChartz.

I do get annoyed when people compare our data to NPD and say "VG Chartz are miles out". That just shows a huge ignorance and lack of intelligence in looking at what the figures actually represent, where differences may come from and the fact that many of the "deviations" are totally "intentional" in that we are not trying to replicate NPD and are of no suprise to me. What many also don't understand is that NPD will make adjustments after they release their initial figures - which are not made public - and those who do see the adjustments will see that often it brings their inital data closer to ours.

ioi

you heard the boss Mike, now shush.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!