By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 980Ti worth it?

Ruler said:

No graphicscard will last 5 years, they will always come up with some new DX or something like Physx. Even the Gtx 980 isnt worth the money

I'm not talking maxing all games for 5 years, I'm talking more like maxing them for 2 years + and then running them well for another 3. I've had my current setup since October 2010, been working fine.

Around the Network
Ruler said:

No graphicscard will last 5 years, they will always come up with some new DX or something like Physx. Even the Gtx 980 isnt worth the money

My 5850 has served me right for more than 5 years, even if now I think that the 5870 would have been worth that extra more .

Although I'm due for an upgrade.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Probably want to wait for the 390x before making a decision if possible.

I'm currently drawing out the specs for a new build (need a new workstation) and will likely end up just going with a GTX 970 for the next 2-3 years rather than pay more for a diminishing rate of cost/performance and keeping it an extra 1-2 years.

greenmedic88 said:
Probably want to wait for the 390x before making a decision if possible.

I'm currently drawing out the specs for a new build (need a new workstation) and will likely end up just going with a GTX 970 for the next 2-3 years rather than pay more for a diminishing rate of cost/performance and keeping it an extra 1-2 years.

Kinda what I'm going with, I've got a 680 i want to replace with a soon to be cheap regular 980 (maybe stock)  and hold out for 2-3 years until returns come back in mid to full range, current returns aren't really that great for us in terms of performance/savings.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Looks like the 980Ti will be my choice after all if recent AMD news turn out to be true!

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

So, as some of you know, I'm building a rig this month and I just got an e-mail stating that the shops have gotten the 980Ti in stock within this or next week!

Now, initially, I was going with the 980GTX, and then AMD rumors started circulating that their 390X would feature 8GB of HMB, but this has later turned out to be most likely false. Now, on the one hand, the 390X will likely be a lot cheaper than the 980Ti but will only have 6GB, the 980GTX will go down in price as of right now but only has 4GB and it appears that the first 8GB single-gpu possibilities will appear in 2016.

My question to the nerds is as follows? Is it worth it? I can obviously afford it and I'm planning on building a rig that will last me about 5 years or so, the 980Ti clings very, very closely to the Titan X in performance and I'm going with 1440p gaming from here on out, I'm not keen on waiting for 8GB cards since I need a new PC now.

A cheap(er) GTX980 with 3rd party mods for more OC, the new 390X with ultra-fast HMB stacks or the monstrous 980Ti for proper future-proofing of my rig?

The Fury XT (That's AMD's flagship) is coming out in two weeks.  LOL just wait!   If you want it to last 5 years, you should want the card with a next gen memory system.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:
Mummelmann said:

So, as some of you know, I'm building a rig this month and I just got an e-mail stating that the shops have gotten the 980Ti in stock within this or next week!

Now, initially, I was going with the 980GTX, and then AMD rumors started circulating that their 390X would feature 8GB of HMB, but this has later turned out to be most likely false. Now, on the one hand, the 390X will likely be a lot cheaper than the 980Ti but will only have 6GB, the 980GTX will go down in price as of right now but only has 4GB and it appears that the first 8GB single-gpu possibilities will appear in 2016.

My question to the nerds is as follows? Is it worth it? I can obviously afford it and I'm planning on building a rig that will last me about 5 years or so, the 980Ti clings very, very closely to the Titan X in performance and I'm going with 1440p gaming from here on out, I'm not keen on waiting for 8GB cards since I need a new PC now.

A cheap(er) GTX980 with 3rd party mods for more OC, the new 390X with ultra-fast HMB stacks or the monstrous 980Ti for proper future-proofing of my rig?

The Fury XT (That's AMD's flagship) is coming out in two weeks.  LOL just wait!   If you want it to last 5 years, you should want the card with a next gen memory system.

The next gen memory won't help me if there's not enough of it and the card itself performs worse than the alternatives though, right? I'll wait for confirmation from official AMD spokesmen but it seems like the cards they're releasing this quarter will be underwhelming stuff. And I'm not about to wait a whole year for 8GB of HBM on their cards.

SpokenTruth said:
When you're this close to a new GPU launch, you always wait. Picking now could leave you with a $650 decision you regret. Never put that kind of money on the table without all the cards shown.

Yeah, I'm waiting for official confirmation. But if the most recent news turn out to be true; the 980Ti will be my best choice.

SpokenTruth said:
Mummelmann said:

Yeah, I'm waiting for official confirmation. But if the most recent news turn out to be true; the 980Ti will be my best choice.

I'd still wait for reviews.  I mean if you aren't going to be doing any 4k gaming, 4 GB will server you just fine.   VRAM overkill is just marketing.

That's not strictly true; there are already games, such as Shadow of Mordor and The Witcher 3 which use more than 4GB of VRAM if available, especially for draw distance and detail. I'll be playing at 1440p and 4GB is actually not quite enough, especially when you consider that I'll be using this card for many years. For 1080p, it wouldn't be worth it, but there are reports of slight worries with cards like the GTX970 not having enough memory for certain games even at that resolution.

I absolutely don't think that 6GB VRAM is useless to me at 1440p and Ultra across the board and for several years to come. 4GB won't exactly be grand in 4-5 years time (which is when I'll likely be upgrading or building a new rig).

For 4k gaming, even the baddest cards are having issues with all effects turned on, 4k gaming is just too early for any single GPU, regardless of memory.

As other have said, just wait.

So far, we still ignore too much about AMD's Fury to make a proper decision. Until the first benchmarks appear, we only have rumors and what some representative said about the performance of the card... with a card that had no BIOS!

Also, 4GB will not be enough, that's true, but we don't know when that will happen or if the card will run out of GPU muscle before the lack of VRAM becomes the limiting factor. After all, the GTX980 doesn't suffer from having 4GB on the games that use more than that, right? Remember that there is a difference between using it and needing it .

Besides, it's only a couple of week before the E3 reveal and AMD has stated that they will be launched this Q2 which ends this June. At the very least, you'll be able to get a 980Ti for a little less as the price gouging would be over!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.