By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A Microsoft turn around? The importance of games in gaming.

There is no denying the brilliant performance of the Playstation 4 saleswise. A stroke of marketing genius, largely playing off Microsoft's marketing failures, has resulted in a very strong showing for Sony's console worldwide.

Then you have the marginal performance enhancement (again, its more a case of 'what was Microsoft thinking' over 'go Sony') playing into the narrative of a stronger console. All of this combined together to see the PS4 come hard out of the stables.

But its difficult to avoid the fact that for both Sony and Microsoft, the first year was characterised more by a lack of gaming strength than any brilliant new innovations. But where this has been true for both, it has been most true for the PS4. Indeed, before Bloodbourne, it was hard to look at the PS4 and say "gee, I really need that console for game/games "X."

As we look ahead to the end of this year, it is becoming clear that Microsoft has a relatively strong line-up of announced games, compared to Sony. Indeed, putting sales to the side, its easy to wonder exactly where and how Sony have apportioned their gaming resources for the first few years of their console's life, and how many resources were put in place to begin with.

Of course, the words 'turn around' are a bit of a misnomer. Japan and much of Europe seem all but lost to Microsoft. But with what would seem to be a tangible advantage in playable and high profile exclusives on the immediate horizon, Microsoft may well have a shot at damaging the notion that Sony will have this generation all to itself.

I'd be keen to hear what others think. This generation has shown us, arguably for the first time, that you dont have to have the best games to be the lead console. Arguably, both the Xbox One and the WiiU have better games than the PS4, and yet they are being beaten (almost combined) in global sales.

Does this year represent an opportunity for Microsoft to shift perceptions?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I think this year will be a huge moral victory for MSFT. I think with the XB1 fall lineup, they will take back the US by early 2016, then look to take back the UK by the end of 2016, then call it a generation.

true_fan said:
I think this year will be a huge moral victory for MSFT. I think with the XB1 fall lineup, they will take back the US by early 2016, then look to take back the UK by the end of 2016, then call it a generation.

Agreed.

Moral victories dont keep investors happy. But particularly in the US I think the games are there to support victory over the other consoles, particularly if they can start to emphasise that distinction in gamers hearts and minds.

There are still gamers I know who think the Xbox One is online only...

RolStoppable said:
I say yes!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=203111

I saw that thread.

That analysts view was one of the things I had in mind when creating this thread - there does seem to be a tangible shift in views relating to Sony's own offerings.

Like with anything else it is the consumers who decide. It is irrational to say that Microsoft has the stronger lineup if consumers don't respond. And if Microsoft throws everything into the US and still loses the world, why do the majority of consumers not matter. I believe that by the end of this generation we will all be forced to recognize and respect the world as a whole. And so will Microsoft; because they are the majority and they decide this thing.

Around the Network

Not sure how it's more true for Sony than it is for Microsoft that their first party was lacking the first year. I say they were both underwhelming. I'm not sure which XBO game you see and think "gee, I really need an XBO to play that game" either. Up until now they've both been in the same boat, of course that's looking to change now come this holiday, but I fail to see how MS' lineup is that great. You have Halo 5, which of course is huge, and the obvious XBO must have this fall, then you have the standard biannual release of Forza, and the timed exclusive, Rise of the Tomb Raider. That is substantially more than Sony though, where the only thing we know of by now is Until Dawn, if we stretch it, but again, just like with the case of the PS4 launch, this is more a case of Sony fucking up than MS doing insanely good.

In general though, exclusives don't matter much outside of internet forums (except for the Wii U, where it's basically all its got). Both the XBO and the PS4 are primarily pushed by third party software.

Gaming was always like games (third party and exclusives) + "standard" controller + good hardware. Lots of things happened last gen. PS3 screwed themselves, Xbox 360 RROD issue and Wii emerged by attracting casuals. But that hasnt changed the demographics. Core gamers always love good third party support, exclusives and decent hardware with "standard" controller. For PS4 everything clicked together.

believe MS had the better lineup last fall aswell

dont think they can take back us or uk sales wise ever

exclusives games do make or break a purchase for some but its 2015 now there are few exclusives left 3rd partys sell consoles the majority are shared between them and like last gen with the 360 the ps4 has the edge in having the superior version of 3rd party games i think that mgs5 starwars codbo3 and needforspeed are enough to keep the ps4 afloat despite its relatively weak or unknown fall exclusive linup

isnt no man sky releasing this year?

Play Me

starcraft said:

There is no denying the brilliant performance of the Playstation 4 saleswise. A stroke of marketing genius, largely playing off Microsoft's marketing failures, has resulted in a very strong showing for Sony's console worldwide.

Then you have the marginal performance enhancement (again, its more a case of 'what was Microsoft thinking' over 'go Sony') playing into the narrative of a stronger console. All of this combined together to see the PS4 come hard out of the stables.

But its difficult to avoid the fact that for both Sony and Microsoft, the first year was characterised more by a lack of gaming strength than any brilliant new innovations. But where this has been true for both, it has been most true for the PS4. Indeed, before Bloodbourne, it was hard to look at the PS4 and say "gee, I really need that console for game/games "X."

As we look ahead to the end of this year, it is becoming clear that Microsoft has a relatively strong line-up of announced games, compared to Sony. Indeed, putting sales to the side, its easy to wonder exactly where and how Sony have apportioned their gaming resources for the first few years of their console's life, and how many resources were put in place to begin with.

Of course, the words 'turn around' are a bit of a misnomer. Japan and much of Europe seem all but lost to Microsoft. But with what would seem to be a tangible advantage in playable and high profile exclusives on the immediate horizon, Microsoft may well have a shot at damaging the notion that Sony will have this generation all to itself.

I'd be keen to hear what others think. This generation has shown us, arguably for the first time, that you dont have to have the best games to be the lead console. Arguably, both the Xbox One and the WiiU have better games than the PS4, and yet they are being beaten (almost combined) in global sales.

Does this year represent an opportunity for Microsoft to shift perceptions?

Arguably? Bloodborne is the highest criticly scored game in this generation and the rest of both X1s and PS4 have pretty much same scores. The Wiiu has higher scored games on average but not everyone wants to play only nintendo games.

I think you and others are overvaluing Xboxs and Nintendos exclusives, espacially since their games are mostly sequels to existing series and not new IPs. Its another Mariokart, another Halo, another Forza, another Shmash etc.

The playstation 4 exclusives are mostly new IPs and everyone can see that they look visually better than almost the majority of 8-Gen games.

-Knack is the best looking platformer in this generation, game has a lot of the things in it which nvidia is bragging about with their Physx technology

-Bloodborne is the best looking action RPG

-Killzone SF is the best looking Science fiction schooter

-Infamious SO is the best looking open world GTA style game in a town, you have magic GTA hasnt

-Driveclub has the best graphics in a racing game since they put the rain effects into the game

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud6F45GMiXA

-The Order 1886 is probably the best looking game overall on pure visual level but not on what the engine is capable of rendering.

-And Uncharted when it comes out will be the best looking action adventure game. 

so yeah for a lot of people the ps4 has delivered because a lot of people wanted a next gen upgrade and they got it with the ps4 

daredevil.shark said:
Gaming was always like games (third party and exclusives) + "standard" controller + good hardware. Lots of things happened last gen. PS3 screwed themselves, Xbox 360 RROD issue and Wii emerged by attracting casuals. But that hasnt changed the demographics. Core gamers always love good third party support, exclusives and decent hardware with "standard" controller. For PS4 everything clicked together.

You make a very interesting point. I don't think people realize that first pary content account for a ver small chunk of overalk sales. EA, Activision,  Ubisoft and  Take Two completely crush the first parties. Third parties are the life blood of the industry (and this is reflected in Nintendo's current predicament).

I would like to add something though. What excies me most about independent studios is there freedom to be creative and deliver content that big publishers deem to risky. I think they are more important than first parties because it give us a chance to cultivate the developers to tomorrow.  We can keep our hobby fresh.