By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Does Society On A Whole Look Down On Pedophilia?

Because it's not (and rightfully so) normal in our society.
On the other hand, I think there is little being done in the way of prevention. Maybe we can help people with those tendencies before they do anything that they will regret an will scar other people for life.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
tak13 said:
JazzB1987 said:
tak13 said:
Mr.Playstation said:

First of all when mentioning pedophilia we're only referring to the act of an Adult being attracted to young children or prepubescent children ( mainly 11 years or younger ) not the actual act of abusing a child.

With this said, why does society on a whole see pedophilia as a mental disorder, rather than as a sexual orientation. The best reaction a person who's sexual orientation is pedophilia can have is to seek help, while the worst is that of being publically shamed even though the only crime this Adult person has committed is of being born in such a way that he is attracted to children.

Sure it shouldn't become legal but the negative stigma for this sexual orientation is pretty huge, when a person can't help himself since he was born this way.

Do you agree that society looks down too much on Pedophilia?

Is this hate justified? ( We're talking about the attraction to children not child abuse done by a person suffering from pedophilia )

Overall what do you think on Pedophilia ( The attraction not the act of child abuse )?

Disclaimer: Respect others people's opinion on the matter, therefore discuss the subject at hand like an adult and don't start calling other users names, if they have a different opinion from yours.

I'll post my opinion later but here is why it's mental disorder:

Development and sexual orientation

Pedophilia emerges before or during puberty, and is stable over time.[44] It is self-discovered, not chosen.[5] For these reasons, pedophilia has been described as a disorder of sexual preference, phenomenologically similar to a heterosexual or homosexual sexual orientation.[44] These observations, however, do not exclude pedophilia from the group of mental disorders because pedophilic acts cause harm, and pedophiles can sometimes be helped by mental health professionals to refrain from acting on their impulses which cause harm to children.[45]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia

Does this not also work for being hetero?

You are hetero not because you chose to be a hetero but because it just happens? its self-discovered.  Being hetero can also lead to harm (when men rape women).

Do heteros have a mental disorder now? I mean you can also "teach" hetero people that they should stop being hetero and start to like same sex intercourse.

Child rape is an aftermath of being pedophile,woman rape isn't because you're heterosexual though,It's related to other things,in my opinion some psycopathy but it can be also owed to other things,such  as anger,socioeconomics,drugs/intoxication e.t.c!You did a weird extrapolation and comparison!Why?

What exactly is the harm done if its nothing that can be compared to (woman)rape? Would like to know.

I mean if a kid does not know  imo there is less harm done than if you rape a woman that tries to prevent it from happening.

And are you telling me that every type of sex between children + old people is automatically child rape? Not every pedophile is a raper as not every hetero is a raper. etc.

btw
How are the chances a gay (not bisexual and not some aliby married gay person) but a 100% gay man who outed himself would rape a women? Pretty low imo therefore it has something to do with sexual orientation.
or how are the chances a straight male would rape another straight male because of anger, drugs, socioeconomics etc?

Again misguided extrapolations,come on you don't ask that seriously...A gay won't rape a woman because he is gay,he is not attracted by women,a straight male won't rape another straight male because he is  a straight  and isn't attracted by men,that doesn't mean that they aren't able to try it but it would be a disaster and I think that they wouldn't feel it(I don't know if when you're intoxicated or under the influence of drugs,can both happen)both are related to stimulation,you can't order to have  erection...Just simple as that,and I based woman rape mainly to some psycopathy!

As for the part which I didn't bolded could you explain it to  me,I find it interesting but I firstly want to see If I understood it correctly,to comment about it!:P

FragilE^ said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
It's kinda like how society would frown upon someone who sits around and watches videos of kittens getting stabbed in the eyes with a pen and loves it. If you enjoy the idea of awful things, the rest of us aren't going to like it. That's how society works. At some point "born that way" doesn't cut it, and nothing about having a society says it needs to accept everyone. Evolution is about promoting desirable qualities, and enjoying the pain of others is not a desirable quality to most of us.

Evolution among humans is basically gone. "Born that way" always cuts it, because natural selection is barely a factor - more or less everyone reproduces. More or less everyone lives. Being born a certain way, is the explanation. Laws dictate the rest, but they are far too tame to make a difference.

If society gravitates to mass executions based on sexual preferences, then sure. But that is not the society we are living in today (some are, homosexuals in certain third world countries for example..). Do you think that is a better world? It could be, in certain ways. It could also be extremely horrible.

A lot of people enjoy a lot of awful things. So what? In India, mothers sell their kids to "love temples" as "holy prostitutes", who then "pray" with anyone who pays. That is accepted in many areas of the country. You and I would never say that was good, but that is the way it is. Do you think we should invade and kill them all? Let "evolution" take over?

Enjoying the pain of others? Most of the first world countries make fortunes on war. Our economy would not survive if demands for weapons disappeared. This is reality. We thrive on war. The meat industry, and every other industry involving animal products, race to be the cheapest. This means that animals across the world are treated like ore from the ground, and not living beings. Look in to the fur industry, for example. HUMANS THRIVE ON SUFFERING. That is reality.

I don't want to see children get hurt. I want criminal people to be punished. But I'm not gonna act like I'm holy or something, that I should start a crusade on "evil". That would be disgustlingly hypocritical of me.

- Saying evolution doesn't exist today is brutally and scientifically uneducated.  Natural selection plays a major role in everything we do in our society.  And in humans - as in other species - it doesn't necesarily mean you don't mate.  It means you don't mate with the ideal partner.  For example, an NBA player will have their choice of females and can choose someone healthy, intelligent or whatever other qualities they choose and the child will grow up with all sorts of economic environmental advantages.  Someone who is labeled a pedophile in our society would be frowned upon, and most desireable mates will shy away from them.  If they can find a mate, it will be someone who is not desired - perhaps sickly, hideous or some other non-desireable quality.  As this process continues over generations, it can work to remove undesireable qualities.  There is a reason humans are growing taller every generation - tall people have an easier time finding mates.

- Saying another wrong exists to justify a first is flawed thinking.

-I'm not advocating genocide of any kind.  I'm simply saying that society doen't need to "accept" everyone.  People are moving rapidly to accepting homosexuals because people are fine with what homosexuals do.  Who cares if two consenting men have sex with each other?  People are not moving toward being more accepting of other qualties which are not thought of as desireable.  We are not moving to accept murderers.  In India, there is a growing movement to punish harshly those that commit rape.  This is the opposite of acceptance.  Even in western society where we have "acceptance" movements about accepting people of different lifestyles or sexual orientation, there is often a movement of not accepting those who don't accept and shunning those with "old-fasioned" ideas on the topic.

Society is not moving toward a "born this way so it's OK" attitude.  That's not the nature of human society.  It's moved to accept homosexuals.  But as a whole throughout the world we are moving toward a society where sexual violence is less accepted.  Those that enjoy rape of others and forced or cohersed sex with children are less and less accepted.

TheLastStarFighter said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

So wait, what? Paedophile = rape children? Why is that? 
There are paedophiles and then there are paedophiles who rape.
There are straight men and then there are straight men who rape.

What's your reasoning for thinking otherwise?

Your logic is flawed.

The fundamental problem is that all children are non-consenting, because children are naive, do not undertand consequence and are non-sexual.

So if you are fantasizing about pedophilia, you are fantasizing about rape.  You are desiring someone who is vulnerable, undeveloped and unable to recipricate your sexual feelings.

If you are a heterosexual male who desires women, presumeably you are desiring a consenting, sexually developed female.

Now, if you desire unwilling females or desire to rape or coherse vulnerable females into having sex with you, sure, that is very similar to being a pedophile.

No one mentioned fantasizing. If a man/woman is attracted to children, that does not make them rapists. They are rapist if they... well, rape. 

The same way being attracted to an adult doing make you a rapist, raping and adult does.
Being attracted to dogs doesn't make you a rapist but raping  one does.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Yes, pedophilia is very looked down upon, like very harsh. Do they deserve it, most of the time. but ofc there are just men or younger guys who are attracted to prepubecent girls, i mean its a bit weird for alot of people including me, i can see the potential attraction in a 13+, but aslong as no one abuses or make anyone feel very uncomofrtable its no harm done. Thats mostly the case with everything.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

There is a reason humans are growing taller every generation - tall people have an easier time finding mates.

That's a lie.

People are getting taller on average because of the better medical and nutritional standards. The huge disparity in height between some developed countries and third world countries backs that up.

It's a mixture of the two. Studies shows taller men have a higher average number of sexual partners. The reason people can grow tall is because of nutrition improvement allowing the genes to have their full potential.

But more taller people successfully mating propegates the 'tall' gene.

Dunban67 said:
regardless of a persons sexual orientation, how many of them go thru adulthood w out EVER acting on them? Vey few- so if a person is a pedofile the best thing they can do for society and themselves is voluntary castration (elimination of any desire) as to insure they never act out and destroy a childs life

Why would the question in this op ever need to be asked- it should be obvious to anyone other than those trying to justify it

And you know that how? Is there a study you can refer to?

tak13 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

So wait, what? Paedophile = rape children? Why is that? 
There are paedophiles and then there are paedophiles who rape.
There are straight men and then there are straight men who rape.

What's your reasoning for thinking otherwise?

You don't rape because you're straight....People you can't fathom the difference?It's not a cause of your sexuality,you will burn my mind today!:P

And people don't rape because their pedophiles. People rape because they put their desire above anyone else, feel the need for power and are just general scum. That doesn't exclude between pedophillia and heterosexuality. 

I wouldn't call pedophilia a sexual orientation. To me, it's a disorder, like incest or necrophilia.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

tak13 said:
DonFerrari said:

We can teach a homo not to act on his impulse, so should homossexuality be considered a crime?

Hahahahaahah people got that and come into really  bad conclusions!By your mind maybe but by science you can't and you shouldn't since it's not bad being homosexual(it's your nature) and acting on your impulses,while you don't hurt anyone,you have sexual intercourse with a  consenting adult!

Also you didn't use the whole phrase in the post  from wiki-paedophilia that I quoted,it says to refrain from acting on their impulses WHICH CAUSE HARM TO CHILDREN!But even if you can teach a gay to not to act on his impulse,Homosexual's impluses doesn't harm anyone(so why try to refrain him on acting on them?) and it's sexual orientation since you born but paedophilia mental disorder of sexual preference/interest  which emerges before or during puberty!Furthemore,you used the word crime in your comparison,while the quote from wiki says about mental disorder,so you did your extrapolation wrongly!Your phrase should be''We can teach a homo not to act on his impulse, so should homossexuality be considered a crime mental disorder''?Plus that Being paedophile,it's not a crime it's  a mental disorder not only because psychiatrists can prevent them from fulfiling their sexual desires but because  this particularity also damages the children,child rape which is a cause of paedophilia is the crime...

Wow people,read more carefully to understand rightly,the misguided extrapolations/comparisons(others with heterosexual/woman rape other with homosexuality) that some did with that post surprises me negatively!If you can't distinguish the differences...Then I'm sad!

That is because you are making a weak argument.

If both were considered the same on medical stand point them we should threat equaly. Besides science on that is ever changing.

Finally, you are  mixing cause and consequence. Someone can be pedo without acting and act without being.

Plus, a lot of homo would feel insulted by you saying it's a treatable disorder.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."