By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPGs with good stories but weak gameplay

Tagged games:

The first Raidou Kuzunoha on PS2, it's an action-rpg, it had a good story with lots of cool moments but the gameplay was just bad, there was a delay to everything you do so defending was a nightmare, imagine a ball coming towards you and you see it coming but you can only catch it after 1.5 seconds that's what it was.

They totally fixed that in the sequel though, it's crazy how much better the battles were in Raidou 2.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Fire Emblem: Awakening comes to mind. Which is unfortunate since the gameplay in the three GBA titles was superb.

I actually thought of the opposite of this regarding FE:Awakening. I thought the gameplay was great, while the story was really terrible, and I`d say one of the worst in the series....

I thought they were both great...maybe not the best best story-wise and gameplay objectives but is a fine attempt. There's worse Fire Emblem entries.

Me...I know i'm gonna get a lot of flack for this but for me it has to be Xenoblade Chronicles. The story as most would know is superb, but the gameplay just couldn't do it for me for reasons I won't go into. I had to end up looking up chugga's LP to see the story. This is MY opinion, not yours, so don't try to change my mind about XC. 

Odin Sphere.

Kotastic said:
Cloudman said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Fire Emblem: Awakening comes to mind. Which is unfortunate since the gameplay in the three GBA titles was superb.

I actually thought of the opposite of this regarding FE:Awakening. I thought the gameplay was great, while the story was really terrible, and I`d say one of the worst in the series....

I thought they were both great...maybe not the best best story-wise and gameplay objectives but is a fine attempt. There's worse Fire Emblem entries.

I find the story to be rather lacking myself. Perhaps because the previous games I played were Radiance and Radiant Dawn, Awakening feels weaker, especially with Chrom as the main lord. Plus everything else with the game feels so great, that the story seems lacking. But that's just me.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

The Witcher, though story isn't that good either.

Around the Network

Nier, if you can call it a RPG.

Hiku said:

There are a lot of other questionable story parts I could mention. Like Sahz threatening to blow Vanille's head off with a gun. Why? Becaue she happened to have been teleported (against her control or will) into an area which caused his son to end up in the condition he is in. And because of that, she deserved to be excecuted? I really really don't buy that.

Do you realize Vanille is the very reason Dahj becomes a L'cie, right? It's not just because she was teleported there, but because Vanille's Fal'cie demanded that she picked someone, and she choosed Dahj.

I'm gonna go with Xenosaga.

Hiku said:

No, she didn't pick anyone. This is what the wiki says: Dajh stumbled across pulse l'Cie Vanille and Fang, who were preparing to attack Kujata. Sensing the danger, Kujata awoke and branded the nearest human as his protector and Dajh became a Cocoon l'Cie as Vanille and Fang escaped.

Vanille is not Kujata, nor is it her fal'Cie. Her fal'Cie is Anima. It was the fal'Cie Kujata who turned Dahj into a l'Cie.

Oh, right. I remember a cutscene of Vanille holding Dahj hand, so I got confused with it.

So, yeah, Vanille and Fang tried to attack Kujata and Kujata tried to defend itself. It's still Vanille - and by extention, Fang - fault that Dahj got branded in the first place.

Hiku said:
Clyde32 said:
I'm gonna go with Xenosaga.

I would agree with this, regarding Xenosaga 1 and 2. Although I enjoyed Xenosaga 1's gameplay, the battle system at least was rather simplified. And the second game's battle system was just tedious.

Third game's battle system was good. My enjoyment was hindered by the fact that I had a faulty disc 1 though, so the battle music would outright stop during 90% of the battles.