By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japanese or Western Games?

Which do you prefer?

Japanese 122 65.24%

Western 50 26.74%

See results 13 6.95%

Total:185

Japanese games. Western games now days feel the need to throw some d rated garbage storyline down our throats at every turn, feel the need to either tell us the exact direction of where to go at all times thanks to a marker on the minimap or to not tell you at all and have you guessing and wandering directionless. Western games also feel the need to force political statements in every game.  I just want to play the damn game.

Around the Network

Japanese,
if I am in a store and there is a random game i have never heard about from a western devoloper and anonther one from a japanese devoloper, i would pick the japanese game.

I play both but I favor Japanese games more.

95% of the games I play these days are Western

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

While I enjoy plenty of both, this choice is easy. Japanese, by far.

Kingdom Hearts alone is worth more to me than all western games combined.

Around the Network

Even with Konami and Sega mostly withdrawing from the console market, for mobile gaming, I'll still sayJapan all the way. Most of my game buying in the past couple of years has been from Nintendo, Namco, Square Enix, Koei Tecmo, NISA, Atlus, or Capcom. Even with Sony I prefer From Software over Naughty Dog or Insomniac. I don't care about anything from EA, Ubisoft, or Activision, and the only Western franchises that are automatic buys for me are Mortal Kombat and Fallout.

Most of my favorite games ever are japanese so I prefer japanese games. Not that I hate western games or don't play them.

Right now, probably western.

The difference for me has to do with franchise management and progression. As much as we all rip into western publishers, many Japanese publishers seem to be run by people who actively want to bury once popular IP. Sometimes when I think of companies like Koei, Capcom, or Sega, my hands automatically curl into the "I want to strangle someone" position.

As an example, when I compare two of my favorite new IP from last gen, Borderlands and Valkyria Chronicles, there is such a clear difference in how they were handled. There is no doubt in my mind that Borderlands 3 is going to be awesome. Valkyria Chronicles, on the other hand, is JUST NOW being released on PC, never mind the situation with its sequels.

Persona 5 is going to be amazing but, when I really think about it, I have trouble coming up with many Japanese franchises where I have faith that the next installment is going to be as good as the last.

Japanese, as long as it's not some j-pop pedo crap, Japanese games are just more fun to play and have way more personality, generally speaking. The most creative Western studios I can think of are for the most part Indie, with the exception of Valve and most of Sony's studios.

I'm now filled with determination.