By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry: Witcher 3 Face-Off

Playstation_awaiter said:

Ps4 <<<<<< xbox = pc as expected then

Is this for real?

*Cue Bohemian Rhapsody*

Around the Network

These aren't even interesting any more.

"PC spanks the shit out of consoles with ultra settings, resolution & frame rate. But don't worry console people, PS4 is ever so slightly less pathetic, and both console versions are playable I guess." - almost every DF face-off.

The Pc version's performance out of the box is excellent. I get a consistent 45-50 fps ultra no nvidia hair on my r9 280x. Wish the game had better AA though.

This one is interesting. 750ti/i3 4130 PC is about same price as xbox one  but no online fees and way cheaper games. 

Why do people still buy these consoles? They are way more expensive then an equal pc in the long run and still can do less. 

JNK said:

This one is interesting. 750ti/i3 4130 PC is about same price as xbox one  but no online fees and way cheaper games. 

Why do people still buy these consoles? They are way more expensive then an equal pc in the long run and still can do less. 

That PC setup will be dead within 12 months, while a console will be optimised throughout its entire lifetime. Hence you have to upgrade PC to keep up with newer games that get released, consoles do not need upgrading. Why people compare a PC to a console is rather stupid.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
JNK said:

That PC setup will be dead within 12 months, while a console will be optimised throughout its entire lifetime. Hence you have to upgrade PC to keep up with newer games that get released, consoles do not need upgrading. Why people compare a PC to a console is rather stupid.

If games continue to be optimized for consoles then said PC will last fine. It's not like consoles have odd architectures that need their power unlocked anymore. What you see is what you get. They are pretty much closed-platform PC's with laptop AMD CPUs. 

shikamaru317 said:
JNK said:

That's more expensive than PS4, not the same price as Xbox One:

CPU- i3 4130- $117
GPU- 750ti 2GB- $130
Memory- 8GB DDR3- $40
Motherboard- B85- $50
Power supply- 430w- $33
Hard drive- 1 TB- $50 (500 gb only saves you like $5-10)
Case- $25
OS- Windows 7 (free upgrade to Windows 10 starting this summer)- $85

Total- $530

Prices were obtained from Amazon and I found some of the cheapest parts I could find (most were on sale). Didn't include a mouse/keyboard, a proper gaming mouse a keyboard would cost a good bit extra, or you could use an Xbox or Playstation gamepad to save some money, but you'll still need a basic mouse and keyboard for navigating the OS. Mini-ITX prices are usually a bit higher than ATX, so if you want a console form factor PC to put under your TV you'll play even more than this, unless you get a Steam Box which saves you a bit (though they're still more expensive than consoles for comparable specs). There's a reason why consoles are still pretty popular. PC Gaming has it's benefits, modding, steam sales, etc. but the initial start up cost is higher and there's more hassle involved with building a PC yourself compared to driving to Gamestop and buying a console.

I can easily get a Windows 7 Key for $30, don't make it seem like it costs $80 this far in its life. Only if you bought a non-discounted key from Microsoft is it true. Also, gaming mouses and keyboards are nowhere near necessary. My $10 mouse and $20 keyboard work fine for almost every single player game and non-competitive multiplayer. 

Here's PC Partmaker for such a build: 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bGnnhM

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bGnnhM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($36.80 @ SuperBiiz) 

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Seagate Pipeline HD 500GB 3.5&quot; 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.95 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ Micro Center) 

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $401.70

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-23 16:34 EDT-0400

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-23 16:34 EDT-0400

Add $60 on top of that for mouse + keyboard + OS to get $461.70 after rebate without tax. A PS4 costs $428 with tax  (7% sales tax) here, and in some places even more. Considering the performance bonus and added functionality, the extra $30 is certainly worth it. 

shikamaru317 said:

^All of my prices were from Amazon, including the Windows 7 copy. Where do you get a legal Windows 7 key for $30 at?

Oh yeah, also just realized we both forgot a DVD drive, that's an extra $15 or so I think.

https://m.reddit.com/r/softwareswap

And other similar sites.

Most Pc gamers I know these days go without DVD drives since most games are fully digital. Also if you only buy from one market then of course the cost will be high. Notice how most of the cheapest parts on Pcpartpicker are from newegg.

sc94597 said:
shikamaru317 said:

^All of my prices were from Amazon, including the Windows 7 copy. Where do you get a legal Windows 7 key for $30 at?

Oh yeah, also just realized we both forgot a DVD drive, that's an extra $15 or so I think.

And other similar sites.

Most Pc gamers I know these days go without DVD drives since most games are fully digital. Also if you only buy from one market then of course the cost will be high. Notice how most of the cheapest parts on Pcpartpicker are from newegg.

man pc guys always gotta hate on us console peasants. I'll take my ps4 and xbone because they are much more versatile. I work out of town alot and I'm not lugging my pc around. I have a $700 laptop with a core i5 and it barely runs red faction guerrilla.

Low78wagon said:
sc94597 said:
shikamaru317 said:

And other similar sites.

man pc guys always gotta hate on us console peasants. I'll take my ps4 and xbone because they are much more versatile. I work out of town alot and I'm not lugging my pc around. I have a $700 laptop with a core i5 and it barely runs red faction guerrilla.

I a not hating anything. The convenience argument is an entirely different one from the price argument. You know it is possible to support PC without hating consoles right? Also the bold explains why you cant play red faction guerrilla.