By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 the "World's Most Powerful Console" According to New Sony Ad

Azuren said:
shikamaru317 said:
Valve probably wouldn't agree, there are available Steam Machines that blow PS4 out of the water. But of course you get into the debates about rather an open platform can be a console, even if it is in a small form factor that sits under your tv.

Except those are just small form factor PCs. 

That's all a console IS. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/console #5 That's exactly what a console has always been. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
Dusk said:
Azuren said:

Except those are just small form factor PCs. 

That's all a console IS. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/console #5 That's exactly what a console has always been. 

Except that game consoles are dedicated to gaming.

Good luck running programs like photoshop or MS Office on them.

sales2099 said:
Did PS3 have such marketing?

This just seems "kick in the pants". I mean its true, but there's a little something called class, Sony. Your approaching 2006 levels of smug, and all I can say is, what goes around comes around.

upset a little?

:P

Hynad said:
Dusk said:

Did you even read the link? Here, let me help you out. 

Console: an electronic system that connects to a display (as a television set) and is used primarily to play video games. 

It would not be hard to get programs like photoshop or MS office or the like to run on a console. All that has to happen is for someone to develop or even port the programs to the systems. With the PS4 and X1 now running on x86 arch, especially the X1 since it's using a variant of Windows, they might even be technically runable, it's the installing that might be an issue. 

Dusk said:
Hynad said:

Console: an electronic system that connects to a display (as a television set) and is used primarily to play video games. 

It would not be hard to get programs like photoshop or MS office or the like to run on a console. All that has to happen is for someone to develop or even port the programs to the systems. With the PS4 and X1 now running on x86 arch, especially the X1 since it's using a variant of Windows, they might even be technically runable, it's the installing that might be an issue. 

It wouldn't be hard. But the fact remains: The game consoles don't run these programs and are gaming centric, unlike PCs.

You're right when you say game consoles are computers. Even if they're specialized ones. But PCs are not game consoles. So I don't see the point in arguing further here.

Around the Network

They have the right to that title, that's for sure

Hynad said:
Dusk said:

It wouldn't be hard. But the fact remains: The game consoles don't run these programs and are gaming centric, unlike PCs.

You're right when you say game consoles are computers. Even if they're specialized ones. But PCs are not game consoles. So I don't see the point in arguing further here.

What the hell are you talking about? We are talking about what consoles are, not what PC's are. A console is a computer system designed to play games on a TV. Therefore the PS4 is NOT the most powerful console. Sure the Wii U is the most powerful console if you don't count the PS4, X1 and Steam Machines/alternatives. The X1 is the most powerful if you don't count the PS4 and Steam Machines/alternatives. This is no different. 

Dusk said:
Hynad said:

What the hell are you talking about? We are talking about what consoles are, not what PC's are. A console is a computer system designed to play games on a TV. Therefore the PS4 is NOT the most powerful console. Sure the Wii U is the most powerful console if you don't count the PS4, X1 and Steam Machines/alternatives. The X1 is the most powerful if you don't count the PS4 and Steam Machines/alternatives. This is no different. 

Oh my... Whatever makes you sleep at night. 

And I'm sorry to break it to you, but steam machines haven't been released yet. ^__-

So, there's that.

Dusk said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Even the makers refer to them more as PC's than consoles.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/steam_machines

Plus they play the same games every other PC does, whereas consoles play software thats made specifically for them.

You realize that console just means a computer system designed to play video games that is connected to a TV right? 

so then why did you bring up only steam boxes and not all PC's?

fireburn95 said:
Microsoft be like "most powerful xbox in the world"

Haha, this made me chuckle. Not a Microsoft hater, but it was just a funny line. Thanks for the laugh :)