By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: "Cartridges" will return for the Nintendo home console

RolStoppable said:
setsunatenshi said:

I don't believe the first part (regarding the costs on the cards), I would need to see data to change my mind.

On your second point, It's true that it would be a mess to retail a product without physical media to be sold. I do think they could test the waters by releasing some limited edition on amazon or other such online retailers. But also Nintendo seems to have the weakest online infrastructure so that would be a whole other can of worms to resolve.

Basically I think this patent doesn't actually represent a product that will be released ultimately. At least not as everyone seems to be assuming (no optical drive)

You can dig up the data yourself, because I am not that interested to convince you.

A digital-only system isn't going to be cheaper when it's sold by online retailers and it's certainly not going to be successful by being sold in limited quantities and with very limited advertising. Since the latter half of 2012 all retail games on Nintendo systems are also available as download while Nintendo's new account system is planned to roll out this fall, so I don't think that Nintendo's online infrastructure could be considered a problem anymore.

I don't put much stock in the recent patent either. Apparently it also contains a second version of the system with an optical drive. But what's more questionable is that the controller comes with a screen. Given the Wii U's failure, it seems unlikely that such an expensive component will return.

that's fine, it's not such an important subject i feel like i need to be convinced, we can agree to disagree.

the fact that the patent mentioned the screen in the controller is what gave me the hint it might be some wii u 2nd experimental sku for an all digital type. i also don't think it would be successful, but lack of success never stopped Nintendo from doing stuff in the past.

i think we agree in the essencial anyway, this is unlikely to actually happen in the way several people assume judging from the comments.