By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NintenDomination! Your quest is over. We present you a new thread.

Rate Platina's Reign

10 15 62.50%

9 3 12.50%

8 0 0%

7 0 0%

6 1 4.17%

5 3 12.50%

4 1 4.17%

3 0 0%

2 0 0%

1 1 4.17%

Total:24

I'm calling it now that tomorrow's "big" announcement is going to be that the FF7 PC port is coming to Wii U :P

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

So most people voted Nintendo a 6-8/10 for the year?

Wow, you guys are a very forgiving bunch... XD

Well for my part, as I said, I only evaluated them as a first party regardless of the state of the platform.  And four standout, well received exclusives and two competent supporting exclusives is quite a good showing.  Hence 7. The Wii U's year would be like a 4 or a 5, but that's because Nintendo is the only one doing anything for it.  The Wii U' year last year would only be slightly better in the grand scheme, like a 5 maybe a 6 for the same reason, despite Nintendo's year being a 8 or 9.

As a platform holder though, isn't it Nintendo's responsibility to secure third party games for their system?

curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

Well for my part, as I said, I only evaluated them as a first party regardless of the state of the platform.  And four standout, well received exclusives and two competent supporting exclusives is quite a good showing.  Hence 7. The Wii U's year would be like a 4 or a 5, but that's because Nintendo is the only one doing anything for it.  The Wii U' year last year would only be slightly better in the grand scheme, like a 5 maybe a 6 for the same reason, despite Nintendo's year being a 8 or 9.

As a platform holder though, isn't it Nintendo's responsibility to secure third party games for their system?

To a degree, but after a point you can only expect so much.  And when third parties are willing to lie about a platforms capabilities (some indie devs, Deep Silver, EA) just to "bow out gracefully" despite the posibility of a big fat lawsuit in retaliation, I think it's safe to say that a lot of it is out of the hands of the company :P .  The only 3rd party games I think they really missed their opportunity to snag are Street Fighter - which was clearly up for grabs - and some key Japanese games that I think they should have ported/localized themselves costs be darned, biggest examples being Dragon Quest X and Star Ocean V being the ones that immediately come to mind as games that are either on the Wii U and need localizing or could easily run on the Wii U and would complement their recent releases well.

And I criticize Nintendo for their design of the Wii U, which is a significant part of the problem.  A year more in the oven to streamline the Gamepad and beef up the system plus secure the launch lineup they admit they really wanted (F-Zero, for example) would have done wonders.  But I'm not going to deduct a ton of points every year for that.  As I said in my post, that's not really a productive conversation :P

And also, I am evaluating them primarily as a first party developer and publisher.  From that front they've done well.  Just not as good as last year, for reasons I stated already. 

Also, for what it's worth, I think that while the Wii U has done a bit worse on the first party front this year they have done better on the indie front than last year with Affordable Space Adventures, Runbow, Freedom Planet, and FAST Racing Neo being major standouts.  And I still think a Nindies Selects series of physical releases for Nintendo centric indies would be wise for 2016. 

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

To a degree, but after a point you can only expect so much.  And when third parties are willing to lie about a platforms capabilities (some indie devs, Deep Silver, EA) just to "bow out gracefully" despite the posibility of a big fat lawsuit in retaliation, I think it's safe to say that a lot of it is out of the hands of the company :P .  The only 3rd party games I think they really missed their opportunity to snag are Street Fighter - which was clearly up for grabs - and some key Japanese games that I think they should have ported/localized themselves costs be darned, biggest examples being Dragon Quest X and Star Ocean V being the ones that immediately come to mind as games that are either on the Wii U and need localizing or could easily run on the Wii U and would complement their recent releases well.

And I criticize Nintendo for their design of the Wii U, which is a significant part of the problem.  A year more in the oven to streamline the Gamepad and beef up the system plus secure the launch lineup they admit they really wanted (F-Zero, for example) would have done wonders.  But I'm not going to deduct a ton of points every year for that.  As I said in my post, that's not really a productive conversation :P

And also, I am evaluating them primarily as a first party developer and publisher.  From that front they've done well.  Just not as good as last year, for reasons I stated already. 

Also, for what it's worth, I think that while the Wii U has done a bit worse on the first party front this year they have done better on the indie front than last year with Affordable Space Adventures, Runbow, Freedom Planet, and FAST Racing Neo being major standouts.  And I still think a Nindies Selects series of physical releases for Nintendo centric indies would be wise for 2016. 

Purely as a development house I can understand giving them a 7 for the year.

I personally factor in their performance as a platform holder as well though.

curl-6 said:

Well I gave them a 4... still not as low as your score I see

But yeah if it wasnt for the out of nowhere success of their new IP Splatoon it would have been an incredibly sad year for Nintendo imo. 
I mean this is the first new IP theyve created that can really move units for generations to come since what, Animal Crossing back in 01.

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
curl-6 said:

But yeah if it wasnt for the out of nowhere success of their new IP Splatoon it would have been an incredibly sad year for Nintendo imo. 
I mean this is the first new IP theyve created that can really move units for generations to come since what, Animal Crossing back in 01.

Bold: And mine's not as low as spemanig's. :P

Italic: Since Wii Fit in 2008, actually. ;)

curl-6 said:
ktay95 said:

Since Wii Fit in 2008, actually. ;)

3 Wii Fit U WiiU 2013 Sports Nintendo 0.29 0.17 0.20 0.04 0.70

I dont think that meets my criteria tbh

Im talking multi million sellers, thats why I didnt say Pikmin but instead AC.

curl-6 said:

Bold: And mine's not as low as spemanig's. :P

Italic: Since Wii Fit in 2008, actually. ;)

To be fair, he did say for generations to come. xD

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

ktay95 said:
curl-6 said:
3 Wii Fit U WiiU 2013 Sports Nintendo 0.29 0.17 0.20 0.04 0.70

I dont think that meets my criteria tbh

Im talking multi million sellers, thats why I didnt say Pikmin but instead AC.

Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus sold a combined 45 million and propelled the Wii to record breaking hardware numbers.

It would seem I misunderstood your "generations to come" criteria, but that's a rather arbitrary restriction, especially since Splatoon's ability to move hardware in future generations is completely unproven.

curl-6 said:
ktay95 said:

Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus sold a combined 45 million and propelled the Wii to record breaking hardware numbers.

It would seem I misunderstood your "generations to come" criteria, but that's a rather arbitrary restriction, especially since Splatoon's ability to move hardware in future generations is completely unproven.

Well the Wii games are hamstringed on principe.  Unless Nintendo goes back to motion control of the same form, they will always be pulled down by the need to own new, extra peripherals.  Splatoon, on the other hand, is not dependent too much on any extra peripheral.  So I think Splatoon I think has a very good chance of being a staple that continues to move units.  The Wii games have much they have to over come that will only get worse the farther from the Wii we go.