By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Pele or Maradona? Who is the king of Football?

hi its me with another thread about football (yes im calling it football now). anyways pele or maradona?who is better? this question has been asked quite frequently over the past 20 years. but this is what i think. PELE ftw!

pele is a brazilian footballer rated as the best footballer EVER. he started playing for santos at teh age of 15, and scored 122 goals in his first season. Pele was an amazing player ( lack of video footage weakens my argument), he could kick with both feet, head the ball, and dribble through defenders like it was nothing. just check out this video,  http://youtube.com/watch?v=vy2LI6y5rDI. He played for brazil at the age of 16 and played at the world cup in sweden in 1958. he scored a hat trick vs france and scored 2 goals in teh final to lead brazil to their 1st wc title win. HE WAS ONLY 17!. he continued to play for santos average close to 100 goals per season. then came the 1962 world cup. unfortunatly, he didnt play due to inuries butbrasil went on to win anayways.

Pele could give the step over to any1. just look at what happend at the 1966 world cup. players had to trip him and hurt him (no red cards at teh time), to stop him, which was prolyl the main reason for brazil not winning the 1966 world cup. pele was even considered a national treasure to brazil to prevent him from being transfered to another team!

anyways at the 1970 world cup he led brazil to a 3rd world cup title. he retired after that but came back to play for the NY Cosmos.  some interesting facts about pele:

scored 1087 goals (according to wikipedia)

athlete of the century

FIFA footballer of teh century

top scorer for brazil 77 goals

won 3 world cups

12 world cup goals (4th  overall) 

dont get me wrong, i dont hate argentines ( i love tevez)

Maradona on the other hand was a great player with incredible dribbling abilities and had the skill to take on a whole team of players. maradona started playing for boca juniors at the age of 16 i think, and played in the 1982 1990 1986 and 94 world cup. he scoired 4 ggoals at the 82 world cup and led argentina to a 2nd wc title in 86. he scored this sexy goal vs england  http://youtube.com/watch?v=-rW-lK9F6TU. in the 1990 world cup, he didnt do so well. he was marked tightly by guldo buchwald in teh final and argentina lost 0-1. he joined napoli, an italian soccer team, and almost single handedly led them to 2 italian championships, a coppa italia, and a UEFA cup. but maradona was also a very controversial player. over his playing years he was addicted to cocaine, which lead him to being banned from the 1994 world cup. he also scored this ggoal vs england   

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AJZtivkagAw, in which he BLATENTLY used his hand to win vs england. in my opinion england shulda won that match.  btw maradonas goal vs england, the one where he ran the field, was voted the goal of teh century.

all in all, i think pele was the most complete ever. the video explains that. he could do everything. maradona was an incredible player, but you have to say, he ruined his own career. btw maradona was one footed (left).

what do u think? 

Around the Network

Pele, Maradonna isnt even mentioned in regards as a legendary footballer anymore really due to the amount of drugs he used to take as aplayer.Even so, Pele was unbelievable.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Pele, he´s just a mega über god to football, maradonna was great as well but not even close to Pele.

if you ask me, i'll say Matthew Le Tissier

Neither - lol. George Best was the greatest footballer of all time. George Best was the greatest Manchester United player of all time - shame he passed away two years ago.
Pele = second best player of all time.

Around the Network

^ yes he is the most underrated footballer in english history. matt le tissier.

look at what that man did for southhampton. he basically carried that team. and he only got 8 caps for england. damn you venables!

Pele of course, but I am Brazilian so ignore me.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Rock_on_2008 said:
Neither - lol. George Best was the greatest footballer of all time. George Best was the greatest Manchester United player of all time - shame he passed away two years ago.

yea he wasgood, if i had to put him in my list it would go:

pele

cryuff

maradona

puskas

beckenbaur

best 

Pele rox :P
i don't like how maradona is like the britney spears of the soccer .__.

Rock_on_2008 said:

Hmm its tough, Cantona will always be up there in my list of best united players, rivalling best definately.

C. Ronaldo will give best's legacy a run for its money. 

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey.