By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Splatoon Go on and Sell 3mil Lifetime? (Shipped+Digital) [Update: 2.42mil LTD, 80% There]

Samus Aran said:
biglittlesps said:

There is a big reason why MK and SSB became big because all the charecters in those games are existing ones and familiar to everyone, but splatooon is is not using a single charecter from their IPs which is a big difference so dont expect success in this game unless they  add charecters from their IPs. Nintendo games sells only if the game has their IP charecters but not from the scratch. Always nitendo finds big success in milking their ips but not new original IPs recently and times have changed so Nintendo and gaming is not like old days for new IPs to get big sucess unless the platform is big, huge marketing, reviews are great for the game.

So you ignore Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Life, Wii Sports Resort, etc.

Ok, whatever. ;)

Remove Handheld titles and give me home console games that sold 3+ million as core game in last 5 years. Nintendo always dominated in handheld without much competition (only PSP did give some but not much) so their new IP's in handheld sold better but these days even new IP's from handheld also not going to sell like old days even if they try. Times have changed so dont expect great sales from new IP's and  also this game now in a platform thats not good, not having worth of 60$ content ready at launch, dont have features requested by online players etc., 

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network
biglittlesps said:
Samus Aran said:

Ok, whatever. ;)

Remove Handheld titles and give me home console games that sold 3+ million as core game in last 5 years. Nintendo always dominated in handheld without much competition (only PSP did give some but not much) so their new IP's in handheld sold better but these days even new IP's from handheld also not going to sell like old days even if they try. Times have changed so dont expect great sales from new IP's and  also this game now in a platform thats not good, not having worth of 60$ content ready at launch, dont have features requested by online players etc., 

Wii Sports, Animal Crossing and Pikmin were on homeconsoles

3 of 4...

biglittlesps said:
tbone51 said:

"It's a new IP" Oh yeah so was many games released such as Wii Sports/Brain Age/Captain Toad/Pikmin/Luigi's Mansion/AC/Tomodachi Life/etc. They all failed too right?

Most of the titles you mentioned are for handheld where Nintendo is dominating so its easier to find success because of huge install base they have and market share and Wii sports is motionware title found success fot its motion features back then but failed with Wii U sports game. Captain toad is a familiar charecter milked in a budget indie game but not a fresh new IP entirely and not a AA scope game. Pikmin game times are very diferent to find success back hen which can proved with Pikmin 3 sales so even if they made that game now it wont sell like 2001 game.

You have to accept that times have chagned and these days new IPs to get success need a platform with install base, good marketing, excellent reviews and content that everyone expects (mostly online), otherwise it wont get success. For me Splatoon can sell average (LTD 500k min - 1m+ max in best case without bundles) as they already got issues in content and price ration so mostly reviews will be 75-80 due to that. 

Ok you completely changed the topic. We are talking new ips, even if LM/AC were more successful on HH, doesn't exclude them for being new ips on HC.

Wii Sports: Doesn't matter for Motion Controls/Gimmicks/etc. It is the most successful New Video Game IP ever. And nothing ever came close. Mario Was only half of that and nothing comes close

Brain Age: HH IP, but still "Nintendo"

Captain Toad: New IP, Puzzle Elements. Very Successful

Pikmin: All HC games, all successful, especially the first game.

Luigi's Mansion: Completely New Genre, very successful

AC: New IP on the GCN. Major Success

Tomodachi Life: Successful in japan, One of the highest selling games of all time there. In the west, Europe shown one of the strongest legs of 2014, selling under 40k-60k FW now over 1mil 

That said you really are switching the entire conversation "Pikmin game times are very diferent to find success back hen which can proved with Pikmin 3 sales so even if they made that game now it wont sell like 2001 game." Seems like your grasping for straws here^

biglittlesps said:
Samus Aran said:

Ok, whatever. ;)

Luckily it doesn't cost $60 then. In Europe it's priced €30-40. And the dlc is free and comes soon after.

3 out of 4 games I mentioned were console games...

biglittlesps said:
Samus Aran said:

Ok, whatever. ;)

Why does it have to be 3mil+? Fire Emblem Awakening is one of the most successful games Nintendo made recently and that game sold 1.5mil. 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
tbone51 said:

Wii Sports: Doesn't matter for Motion Controls/Gimmicks/etc. It is the most successful New Video Game IP ever. And nothing ever came close. Mario Was only half of that and nothing comes close

Not trying to take the other side of this argument, but this is false. As much as it pains me to say it, Minecraft comes close, and will probably surpass it at some point. Then again, I consider Minecraft a better game than Wii Sports so they're both painful.

Forgot Minecraft. Ok Wii Sports is the most successful Exclusive game ever? Well point is excluding Minecraft nothing comes close :P

tbone51 said:
Moyu said:
tbone51 said:
Moyu said:

"Under 75? Under 70? If this game gets an 80 or above then what are you going to say?"

A nice round 80 score won't provide any legs and that's all I'm going to say, hell even if the game was in the range of 85-89 I doubt the impact would be enough to provide a significant boost to sales after the first week and that's IF the game gets good scores :)

I wont bother with the others as we'll be here all day.

That said your entire point is invalid here. You practically said the score doesn't matter^ Most games get under an 80, They have legs (ex: Destiny) Bayonetta 2  got 92 on meta, no legs. 

Of course you won't :)

I never said the score doesn't matter, I said a high score like like 85 won't be enough, 90-100 on the other hand would help this game to pull itself towards recognition.

Destiny is not a good example since that game had Activision's help regardless and Bayo 2 was restricted to an adult demographic as opposed to an "everyone" demographic that Splatoon could potentially have, but it won't (for reasons I explained earlier).

Maybe. Perhaps it should've been released at $40 for the States. Putting aside my personal feelings for the game (I have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever), I hope it is successful, especially if people find it fun and worth the value. It will tell Nintendo that there is an audience for these kind of experiences on their consoles. I'm not sure it will sell 3 million, but half of that is doable. The game does not look like it has been made with a huge budget in mind, so 750k+ would probably be a success, if a mild one.

mZuzek said:
tbone51 said:

Why does it have to be 3mil+? Fire Emblem Awakening is one of the most successful games Nintendo made recently and that game sold 1.5mil. 

Because that's the question you're asking in the thread.

Yeah, but i thought we were talking about Splatoon not being successful? My thread question is asking if its possible for 3mil, but many discussions as you've seen are talking about the game underperforming/bombing/etc! 

New Nintendo IP = Destined to fail :p

mZuzek said:
tbone51 said:

Yeah, but i thought we were talking about Splatoon not being successful? My thread question is asking if its possible for 3mil, but many discussions as you've seen are talking about the game underperforming/bombing/etc! 

New Nintendo IP = Destined to fail :p

Yeah, I'm not sure who's mixing "being successful/bombing" with "selling over 3 million", but someone sure is. Either way, I've seen some pretty bad reasons for why the game will bomb and that's why I'm staying away.

Lol, i see! Whats funnh is that im asking if the game could do 3mil, it isnt necessarily my prediction. Im predicting 1mil+ shipped/Digital by end of year and 1.5mil Lifetime