By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD Info! HBM-equipped Radeon this quarter! Zen CPU architecture in 2016

@bunchanumbers: Earlier in the thread we discussed some of the rumored prices, and they don't look good.

But if you think about upgrading in 2016, it could be a good idea to wait until Nvidia's 10x0 and AMD's 4x0 series are launched, made using the 14/16 finfet process and HMB 2.0. More performance, lower power consumption and more memory. Jackpot!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

http://videocardz.com/55539/powercolor-announces-first-fiji-giveaway

Soon...

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Soon...

That's totally an expectation of how hot it's going to run isn't it =P.

Something tells me we won't be seeing proper full on 4k 60fps this soon though, if it does it's going to come at such a price.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
JEMC said:

*pic*

Soon...

That's totally an expectation of how hot it's going to run isn't it =P.

Something tells me we won't be seeing proper full on 4k 60fps this soon though, if it does it's going to come at such a price.

Well, it's going to be watercooled for a reason.

And 4K@60fps is a myth. Nvidia's TitanX is only able to run The Witcher 3 at 60fps at 1080p with Hairworks turned off, so imagine what would it be like at 4K.

JEMC said:

Well, it's going to be watercooled for a reason.

And 4K@60fps is a myth. Nvidia's TitanX is only able to run The Witcher 3 at 60fps at 1080p with Hairworks turned off, so imagine what would it be like at 4K.

Yeah, those folk trying to push 4k are a little insane/tring to compensate, for me it's too expensive to invest in and I imagine it won't be viable until at least 5 years from now.

Still we can at least use DSR on older games from <2011-2012.

Bit disappointed in Nvidia though for the GW and HW being taxing on the fps even at 1080 for such minimal gains that it doesn't feel worth the tradeoff, at least that's what I'm seeing both visually and from people with higher end cards.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Around the Network

Need more news and an actual release date; I need to build my rig NOW!

Its weird that AMD has done so well with setting the standarts for ram.

They worked on DDR ram, back when Intel wanted everyone to use RDRAM from rambus.
They helped develope (I think) the GDDR ram that graphics cards use.
Now theyre helping again with thew new ram technology.

I hope it goes well, and I hope we see it used soon for APUs and motherboards.
Let DDR4 go away and lets get this new stuff instead.

JRPGfan said:
Its weird that AMD has done so well with setting the standarts for ram.

They worked on DDR ram, back when Intel wanted everyone to use RDRAM from rambus.
They helped develope (I think) the GDDR ram that graphics cards use.
Now theyre helping again with thew new ram technology.

I hope it goes well, and I hope we see it used soon for APUs and motherboards.
Let DDR4 go away and lets get this new stuff instead.

On APUs, unless used as a Last Level Cache mainly for the GPU (basically a on-package VRam), HMC would be more useful as the link on HMC goes both ways simultanously, while HBM would force the CPU to wait several clocks before the registers could be accessed again.

Also, both are problematic when it comes to expand memory, as classical RAM-dimms won't work with any of them afaik. If you need more memory then what comes delivered with an APU/iGPU, DDR4 is still the only viable way to go.

Mummelmann said:
Need more news and an actual release date; I need to build my rig NOW!

lol that last part reminds me of the Slave miner unit from red Alert 2 Yuris revenge when they say "FASTER LITTLE SLAVES/WE NEED MORE!".

I've read it seems like the 380 will be Tonga chips, and the 390 Hawaii again. A bit underwhelming, specially next to the fake leaked specs from mid 2014, but I guess you can only go so far with 28 nm. Fiji is going to be a high-end brand which will either be called 395, or a whole new series, equivalent of a Nvidia Titan. So, if I were to guess...

R9 380 = Tonga PRO
R9 380X = Tonga XT
R9 390 = Hawaii XT
R9 390X = Hawaii XTX?
R9 new brand = Fiji?