By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Warner Bother: Jimquisition takes a stab at WB

MikeRox said:
foodfather said:
To be honest, 8th Gen prices are still around £44 - 49 RRP. Not sure you can find a next gen game for less than £40 unless its been out for a month of two.

In general, install base / attach rate has increased with the rise in development costs.

They still need sales beyond launch week.. I took a quick look on shopto and even stuff like Mortal Kombat X had hit the £40 mark. Even with that, it's still clearly way below historic prices. I stated this was offset by increases in userbases. However that has now halted so something is going to give somewhere.

It's either going to be higher prices, more necessity to sell add ons/DLC or developers going bust, and we saw a good chunk of the latter last gen.

I think what you forget with UK prices is pound to dollar conversion, for every £40 game it's converted to $60/$70 depending on rates. Also MKX is a bad example as fighting games are historically extremely cheap to produce, even with all the cutscenes they likely didn't pass $20/30m for it's development unlike say Arkham Knight which is open world so will quite likely hit $50/100 million for development of everything. Plus sales volume counts, if they hit 10 to 15 million copies they'll be raking in hundreds of millions of dollars for Arkham. So do they need to do it? Nah. Will they do it? Of course. Companies do whatever they can to make money. Customers are always secondary to shareholders.

To be completely honest I think Warner would of been a lot smarter splitting the bat girl dlc off as a stand alone for $15. It takes away from the sting of a $100 game. Really it does kind of boil down to will people stand for this? Some will, smarter consumers will wait for the GOTY/Ultimate edition where it's all bundled together. The only reason any company can do stuff like this is if consumers pay for it. If they don't they'll try something else.

For everything against them with this stuff Warner still kick EA's arse at the moment. Arkham Origins was the first properly bad/buggy game they've put out in a long time, EA do it annually with various series.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:

I'm UK. I just know that the general price for a home console game was:

4th gen £44.99
5th gen £44.99
6th gen £39.99 (cartridge games £49.99-£59.99)
7th gen £39.99
8th gen £39.99

Inflation between 1990 and now means that even if NES games were £39.99 (as most games generally retail for now) you'd expect to pay £88.99 for the game today. You don't see people complaining to the same extent that Mars Bars were 25p in the 90s but now you'd be expected to pay about 75p in most shops.

So actually the cost of new games has halved in real terms and that's without considering that it takes far more people to make those games now than it did before.

Luckily much bigger userbases had been offsetting this. This is how we ended up needing games to sell millions to break even while 100,000 on the NES would be the big time.

Are you sure?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Warner-Bros-Batman-Arkham-Knight/dp/B00IS6S7SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430955729&sr=8-1&keywords=batman+arkham+knight

Batman 45 pounds.

The Witcher 3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witcher-Wild-Hunt-PS4/dp/B00BT9DU0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430955789&sr=8-1&keywords=the+witcher+3

45 pounds aswell.

Where are you buying your games? You are getting sweet deals.

Star Wars battlefront

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Battlefront-Xbox-One/dp/B00D782500/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1430955846&sr=8-9&keywords=the+witcher+3

A whooping 48 pounds!

I found project cars for 40 though. I think there are some exceptions indeed, but the new AAA titles seem to have increased in price. Things that are a bit cheaper like project cars, Tokiden, etc seem to go for the more traditional price.

As for the inflation argument, it doesnt take into account that we are paid less relatively aswell with the devalue of currency. Games are definitly not cheaper than they were 2 generations ago. There is an argument that can be had for wether they are worth the money or not in comparison to how much they cost to develop, but they are in no way cheaper.

alternine said:
Burek said:
I avoid Jim Sterling at all costs, his constant bitching about anything and everything is very exhausting.
Too much of that in general, I'll choose to focus on the positive aspects of gaming from now on.

I couldn't agree with you more. The constant negativity is extremely annoying.

I disagree because you're both too negative.

Ruler said:
SanAndreasX said:
I couldn't care less about DC Comics games. The only reason I have any respect for WB is for rescuing Mortal Kombat and maybe publishing The Witcher on consoles in the United States.

Bandai namco would have published it anyways like they do in europe

I'd rather they published it in the US, honestly.