By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (US ONLY) Will Halo 5: Guardians be the game that puts Xbone and PS4 to neck & neck?

Will Xbone Get The Glory?

Yes 57 17.43%

No 243 74.31%

Halo for Wii U!!! XD 27 8.26%

Total:327
alabtrosMyster said:
Ljink96 said:

The Master Chief Collection is though? Isn't it?

Man, you are wasting your time....

Basically, most people who wanted an XB1 already got it last year, especially while they had the fire sale during the holiday period! even then, they did not outsell the PS4 with a very high ration (not even 2:1 in the best weeks in the US... WW PS4 was always on top).. imagine, in some bundles that came with an in store rebate card the console came to about 70$ this is bargain bin prices for a console!

We don't know for sure how Halo 5 will turn either, it may not be received very well for all we know (or it may be so good that it really does turn the tide? who knows at this point it could go either way... but you have to give the game some merit on its own for what it does).

Yeah, I can see it going either way for a while. But what haunts me is like with Nintendo's Wii U, everyone clamoured that Mario Kart 8 would bring Wii U from the depths of hell and rise ever so quickly but even though the game sold incredibly well and it's a great game, that never happened. That's what I'm telling my buds here where I'm at. They think Xbone can make a comeback and I think to an extent, it can. But not to the point where it will destroy the PS4. That's just my thinking though. I wanted to know what others who are more into Xbox think. 

Around the Network

It might outsell PS4 on the release week of Halo, but I see it very difficult for it to "recover" the U.S.

Ljink96 said:
Cloudman said:
Sorry, but I think it won't turn much around for the X1. : ( It'll likely give it a boost in the US, but the rest of the world, not so much... The thing about pokemon was that it was this new thing people never heard of, and it's cute characters and goal of the game were something that really attracted people in many parts of the world. Halo 5 isn't something new, and it won't have the same appeal Pokemon did. So I don't think it'll do a lot... : /

Good point. Pokemon was new. But a proper Halo hasn't been released yet. We're just speculating. I think Xbone has a good chance to edge out PS4 for a few weeks or so when Halo comes out. 

I think it does have a good chance of beating the PS4 in the holiday season, seeing as the other 2 and their big titles are delayed, so there is that : )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Shadow1980 said:

No chance in hell Halo 5 is going to turn things around for the XBO. Rare is the individual game that actually makes such a huge impact on a system's fortunes. You can count on one hand the amount of games that made that big of a difference. I can maybe think of only four games made in the past 30 years: Super Mario Bros. (arguably helped get the NES in homes), Sonic the Hedgehog (the first truly big killer app for the Genesis; likely helped boost sales once Nintendo lost their monopoly), Final Fantasy VII (marked the point where the PS1 finally started outselling the N64 in the U.S.), and Halo CE (was to the Xbox like what SMB was to the NES; based on NPD data, by the end of Q1 2002 Halo had an attach rate of over 50% in the U.S.). Nothing else could be argued to be that significant, that big of a killer app than those four games. Nothing else comes close. And three of those were games that helped put a console brand on the map, while only one of them, FFVII, actually caused a system with less-than-great sales to actually start selling well (the PS1 was literally selling at GameCube levels in the U.S. before September '97; it sold just shy of 2 million units in all of 1996 according to NPD). Nearly all other system-sellers have provided a boost that lasted only a month at best (the combination of MKWii and Brawl appears to have given the Wii a decent boost to sales for several months, but not any longer, and the system was already huge beforehand). I mean, let's look at monthly sales of the 360 in the U.S. since it launched:

Halo 3 did provide an unambiguous boost to sales, more than any other game released outside the holidays. Yet both it and a price cut boosted it to only 528k. The combination of Black Ops and Kinect gave a YoY boost for November '10 that may have been beyond the boost provided by the 360S, Gears 3 may have been what caused average weekly sales for September '11 to be higher than the previous month, and Skyrim & MW3 also may be responsible for the YoY boost for November '11. Other than that, there were no clearly major system-sellers for the 360 in the U.S., not even the other Halo games (most people interested in Halo probably already had a 360 by time Reach came out). The biggest boosters for 360 sales were price cuts and the release of the 360S, not individual games.

Halo 5 could boost XBO sales above those of the PS4 in October (depends on when the PS4 gets a price cut and how big it is), but it's not going to do much of anything beyond that. It is not going to be a game-changer like FFVII was for the PS1. End of story.

I don't know if I've said this before, but you always have some of the best posts on this site. Always a pleasure to read.

Shadow1980 said:

No chance in hell Halo 5 is going to turn things around for the XBO. Rare is the individual game that actually makes such a huge impact on a system's fortunes. You can count on one hand the amount of games that made that big of a difference. I can maybe think of only four games made in the past 30 years: Super Mario Bros. (arguably helped get the NES in homes), Sonic the Hedgehog (the first truly big killer app for the Genesis; likely helped boost sales once Nintendo lost their monopoly), Final Fantasy VII (marked the point where the PS1 finally started outselling the N64 in the U.S.), and Halo CE (was to the Xbox like what SMB was to the NES; based on NPD data, by the end of Q1 2002 Halo had an attach rate of over 50% in the U.S.). Nothing else could be argued to be that significant, that big of a killer app than those four games. Nothing else comes close. And three of those were games that helped put a console brand on the map, while only one of them, FFVII, actually caused a system with less-than-great sales to actually start selling well (the PS1 was literally selling at GameCube levels in the U.S. before September '97; it sold just shy of 2 million units in all of 1996 according to NPD). Nearly all other system-sellers have provided a boost that lasted only a month at best (the combination of MKWii and Brawl appears to have given the Wii a decent boost to sales for several months, but not any longer, and the system was already huge beforehand). I mean, let's look at monthly sales of the 360 in the U.S. since it launched:

Halo 3 did provide an unambiguous boost to sales, more than any other game released outside the holidays. Yet both it and a price cut boosted it to only 528k. The combination of Black Ops and Kinect gave a YoY boost for November '10 that may have been beyond the boost provided by the 360S, Gears 3 may have been what caused average weekly sales for September '11 to be higher than the previous month, and Skyrim & MW3 also may be responsible for the YoY boost for November '11. Other than that, there were no clearly major system-sellers for the 360 in the U.S., not even the other Halo games (most people interested in Halo probably already had a 360 by time Reach came out). The biggest boosters for 360 sales were price cuts and the release of the 360S, not individual games.

Halo 5 could boost XBO sales above those of the PS4 in October (depends on when the PS4 gets a price cut and how big it is), but it's not going to do much of anything beyond that. It is not going to be a game-changer like FFVII was for the PS1. End of story.

Great post, as usual! I always follow your analisys with great interest and I have the same opinion. PS4 will cut the price for sure and no game can match the amount of sales this kind of move can provide. And Halo itself won't be so huge like many people think, not after the declining of the series and the errors made with The Master Chief Collection. I believe that with a price cut and great marketing deals for Star Wars and COD, PS4 will confortably win the holiday in the US, that is my prediction.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

It is rare to find a post as good as yours, congratulations.

Shadow1980 said:

Thank you, everyone.

Is that...Steve?

Sadly, I don't think it will. Will the Xbox One sell well? Absolutely. Will it beat the PS4 worldwide? Unlikely.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

It'll give it a huge sales increase, but it won't single handedly do the job. I do think the XB1 will eventually re-take the US and UK, WW is a sure thing for PS4.

All hail the mighty Shadow1980!!

OT: The ship has already sailed for the XBO. Even a huge series like Halo can only offer the system a temporary boost. Also, kyser73's comment on GAF is worth a read: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160467736&postcount=99