By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Kart 8 vs. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Which do you prefer?

Sonic 42 15.05%

Not Sonic 237 84.95%

Total:279

I've played both, and I really wish Nintendo would freshen up the MK formula with challenge modes like Sonic ASRT had. The map you could progress through with various stages was such a change from the usual Karting I've played.

In short, MK needs to change.

Around the Network
tolu619 said:
Faust said:
they are pretty much the same, but i give the edge to MArio kart 8 cuz the rooster is more apealing

I find the bolded strange. Even though I know all the chacters in Mario Kart and prefer MArio Kart, I find the roster in ASRT better because the characters feel and look different. In MK, it's just Mushroom Kingdom guys (with the exception of Link, Villager and my favorite character, Mii!). Unless by "roster", you were referring to the tracks.

As for the underlined, I couldn't disagree more. I have only played the Wii U demo, but I have the full game on my iPhone, and ASRT is the Kart racer I've played that feels the most different from Mario Kart. I never played CTR and I only played Diddy Kong racing once, but every other Kart racer I've played felt llike a MK clone, except ASRT which has its own unique feel.

I don't think the characters fit very well together in ASRT. Plus I haven't heard about most of them which doesn't help.

You have different costumes for your Mii, including a Sonic costume.

tolu619 said:
Teflon02 said:

Because it doesn't work for Mario Kart... Which is why I don't like it as much. Snaking is a tactic that wasn't an original intent. Rewarding you for choosing to drift a corner, doing a jump or fliping your vehicle is entirely different than snaking. Hell snaking doesn't have any advantage in those either. 
Mario Kart isn't the same game as those, they work with different mechanics. Look up some videos and see if Sonic Transformed or CTR is bad because of those. 

Also doing antigravity better than another game doesn't give the right to act like you're the first to do it. Which everyone acted like. How well it's done isn't relevant. Mario can mimic anything and it's fine Sonic Transformed was attacked for Copying MK7 lmao and it wasn't even close, it actually could be said it was copying DKR though but ppl didn't really, but MK8 does something exactly like in another game it got a pass lol. My point.

While all your other points for or against the respective games sound great and give me a good view from someone else's perspective, the anti-grav thing just sounds like beef, and not a reason to dislike a game. You dislike a game because of OTHER PEOPLE's reception to a feature of that game? That's like not liking a car simply because other people like a specific feature of that car more than you think they should. I think the graphics and polish were even more hyped than the anti-grav for one, and either way, the feature was used moderately, didn't feature in every track, and actually added to the gameplay by creating alternative routes/shortcuts in some stages, while being mainly an aesthetic feature in stages like Shy Guy Falls, where we drive up a waterfall and then drive down the other path on the same waterfall.

You got the wrong impression. I love Mario Kart 8, I hated the fanbase behind the series. I get what you're saying and don't disagree. But I definitely love Mario Kart, but I like Sonic Transformed better. I was specifically saying that because they're challenging my experience. But they are both good. But the boat car plane like DKR won it for me mainly. stages like race of ages etc. I personally thought they ruined one of my fav MK stages N64 RR, I liked the simple yet long stage it was lol. Trust me, when MK8touched my place I played it non stop for a little but MK is limited for me because it needs friends for me to keep playing. While games like MNR, DKR, Sonic Transformed, and CTR all have things beyond grand prix and basic racing modes to keep you going

tolu619 said:
Faust said:
they are pretty much the same, but i give the edge to MArio kart 8 cuz the rooster is more apealing

I find the bolded strange. Even though I know all the chacters in Mario Kart and prefer MArio Kart, I find the roster in ASRT better because the characters feel and look different. In MK, it's just Mushroom Kingdom guys (with the exception of Link, Villager and my favorite character, Mii!). Unless by "roster", you were referring to the tracks.

As for the underlined, I couldn't disagree more. I have only played the Wii U demo, but I have the full game on my iPhone, and ASRT is the Kart racer I've played that feels the most different from Mario Kart. I never played CTR and I only played Diddy Kong racing once, but every other Kart racer I've played felt llike a MK clone, except ASRT which has its own unique feel.

never played the game on my cellphone so i dont know how much different it is, but i own the ps3 version and i've played both games for quite a while..

About the rooster, well, i was talking about the character themselves, cuz at the end of the day, thats the very reason people choose one game over the other.

Finally someone brings this question to light! I really enjoy MK8 (even purchased DLC). In fact it's the most fun I've ever had with Mario Kart. However, Sonic ASRT does do a few things better than MK8. It definitely, in my opinion, has better tracks. They are longer, more varied and incorporate water, air and land racing. Heck, on some levels the tracks actually change everytime you pass a lap! MK8 only does land (with short spouts of gliding). In addition, Sonic ASTR has better music and sound in general and is much faster. Framerate is really dependent on platform as I have my version on PC. Also for the price, Sonic ASRT wins by a land slide since I got it for $5 on a Steam sale. Mario Kart does have better character selection but only because I enjoy Mario characters more (I am biased as most will be in this department). Honestly, Sonic ASRT is extremely under rated. I can't compare multiplayer as I play local multiplayer more on MK8 and never played multiplayer on Sonic ASRT (online or local). I have spent more time now on MK8 but only because I play it with my son but now that I have an extra controller (XBOX 360) I will play it again with my son this time on my TV! And yes, the DLC adds a lot to MK8! I love the new F-Zero stages and Animal Crossing stage. The new 200cc mode I have yet to try so I will update the whole speed judgement after I have tried it. MK8 is pretty good but if I had to choose 1, I would still choose Sonic as the better overall racing experience.

Around the Network
iamserious said:

Finally someone brings this question to light! I really enjoy MK8 (even purchased DLC). In fact it's the most fun I've ever had with Mario Kart. However, Sonic ASRT does do a few things better than MK8. It definitely, in my opinion, has better tracks. They are longer, more varied and incorporate water, air and land racing. Heck, on some levels the tracks actually change everytime you pass a lap! MK8 only does land (with short spouts of gliding). In addition, Sonic ASTR has better music and sound in general and is much faster. Framerate is really dependent on platform as I have my version on PC. Also for the price, Sonic ASRT wins by a land slide since I got it for $5 on a Steam sale. Mario Kart does have better character selection but only because I enjoy Mario characters more (I am biased as most will be in this department). Honestly, Sonic ASRT is extremely under rated. I can't compare multiplayer as I play local multiplayer more on MK8 and never played multiplayer on Sonic ASRT (online or local). I have spent more time now on MK8 but only because I play it with my son but now that I have an extra controller (XBOX 360) I will play it again with my son this time on my TV! And yes, the DLC adds a lot to MK8! I love the new F-Zero stages and Animal Crossing stage. The new 200cc mode I have yet to try so I will update the whole speed judgement after I have tried it. MK8 is pretty good but if I had to choose 1, I would still choose Sonic as the better overall racing experience.

So have you tried 200cc yet?
My personal take: judging from what most people have posted , Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is the better single player game, while Mario Kart is the better multiplayer game. Also, they're both different enough to justify buying both, unless you particularly play only single player or only multiplayer, in which case, the right one for you should be obvious. For those that have played both extensively, how accurate is my conclusion? As I stated earlier, I've only played the Wii U demo of ASRT, but I have the full game on my iPhone and I've played that a bit more. I have MK8 with all its DLC.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs