By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Raises Earnings Estimate Thanks to PS4 Success, Still Expecting Overall Loss Though

Sony has issued revisions to their financial forecast for the fiscal year ending March 31st, 2015. The changes raise their overall outlook, taking them from an operating profit of $167 million to $567 million. The changes are largely attributed to the well performing PlayStation division, which has seen great success with the release of the PS4. The music division, along with the overall company restructure also played a factor. However, while this is certainly great news, especially for PlayStation fans, it isn’t all sunshine and rainbows for Sony as they are still expecting an overall loss for the year.

Net losses for this fiscal year are expected to hit $1.05 billion, down from $142 billionn, which is pretty staggering even with the better prospects these changes indicate. These losses come from Sony’s many other divisions, with the electronics section taking up a large portion. That area has seen many bad years as of late, with closures hitting the laptop division, and the TV portion being spun off on its own.

There is no doubt that Sony as a whole has been struggling these last few years, but with the PS4 taking a hefty lead in the eighth generation console race, they at least have some success to lean on in these troubled times. If they can work out the problems in their other divisions, while maintaining their current success in the gaming arena they could easily turn things around and get back on top overall.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/sony-raises-earnings-estimate-thanks-to-ps4-success-still-expecting-overall-loss-though/

Around the Network

The ps4 sucess was not an option.  It was a need. And even then they are losing money.

At least things are getting better and I´m sure they will recover.

But is very funny that people thinks Nintendo is the one doomed, when Sony lost 142 billions last year and their chances to bankrupt were around 75%.

Hopefully no one is doomed here.

Goodnightmoon said:

The ps4 sucess was not an option.  It was a need. And even then they are losing money.

But is very funny that people thinks Nintendo is the one doomed, when Sony lost 142 billions last year and their chances to bankrupt were around 75%.

I'm sure you can understand the difference between a company like Sony and one like Nintendo. Sony has a lot of profitable divisions including the gaming division. As for the chance to bankruptcy, that percentage has been halved.

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I'm sure you can understand the difference between a company like Sony and one like Nintendo. Sony has a lot of profitable divisions including the gaming division. As for the chance to bankruptcy, that percentage has been halved.

Most of the Sony division are not profitable by now, they are being saved by the ps4.  And believe me, even if i´m a Nintendo lover I´m glad for them. I like the overall quality of their products.

Its no big deal. Sony are Nintendoomed... meaning nothing is gonna happen but the media may have a field day over nothing.

Around the Network

Why am I not surprised?

Proud to be a Californian.

"Net losses for this fiscal year are expected to hit $1.05 billion, down from $142 billionn"

$142 billion - Isn't this a mistake? Or they really slash losses that much?

Lol, if Sony made a 1 year loss of $142Bn they really would be bankrupt, given their market cap is only about $35Bn. No company the size of Sony could survive that sort of single year disaster.

This poor confused fellow probably mixed up his dollars and his Yen. Sony were looking at 142Bn yen loss, which is about $1.42Bn and now it's down to $1.05. Funny how their revised operation profit is up by $400 million and their revised over all loss is down by $400 million.

The losses Sony has been experiencing over the last couple of years are book losses not operating losses. SOny has been making positive cashflow while booking losses.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Nanaki said:
"Net losses for this fiscal year are expected to hit $1.05 billion, down from $142 billionn"

Yen...not USD.

anamme said:
Nanaki said:

Yen...not USD.

Then it should be ¥ 142 billion. Now, is the 1.05 billion in USD or Yen?