By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario kart 8 dlc pack 2 looks astonishing! (new trailer)

Favourite new course?

Animal crossing 17 8.76%

Big blue 64 32.99%

Super bell subway 8 4.12%

Wild woods 35 18.04%

Ribbon road GBA 42 21.65%

Cheese land GBA 3 1.55%

Koopa city (Neo bowser) 3DS 4 2.06%

Baby park GC 21 10.82%

Total:194
curl-6 said:
Skullwaker said:

I'll never truly understand why they thought it was a good idea to give us so many Peach and Mario clones. 

Because its faster, cheaper and easier to apply a different texture to an existing model than to build a new one from scratch. Rather than delay the game for what amounts to a reskin, they chose to literally reskin instead.

Does it really take that much effort to make a Mario Kart character? Smash has more characters with more animations despite each one being very different from the rest, unlike in Mario Kart where as you said they're essentially just re-skins.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
curl-6 said:

Because its faster, cheaper and easier to apply a different texture to an existing model than to build a new one from scratch. Rather than delay the game for what amounts to a reskin, they chose to literally reskin instead.

Does it really take that much effort to make a Mario Kart character? Smash has more characters with more animations despite each one being very different from the rest, unlike in Mario Kart where as you said they're essentially just re-skins.

It wouldn't take as much effort as Smash characters, no, (though the stages in MK8 would take way more work than stages in Smash) but being less important means it's a more acceptable shortcut to take when you want to get your game out on schedule.

curl-6 said:

It wouldn't take as much effort as Smash characters, no, (though the stages in MK8 would take way more work than stages in Smash) but being less important means it's a more acceptable shortcut to take when you want to get your game out on schedule.

And yet the battle mode still suffered. Would rather they went the MK7 route if it ment it could be salvaged. 

Einsam_Delphin said:
curl-6 said:

And yet the battle mode still suffered. Would rather they went the MK7 route if it ment it could be salvaged. 

Meh, doesn't bother me, I never liked battle mode.

Einsam_Delphin said:

No one rates a game based on DLC, and I doubt anyone buys a game specifically because of DLC. It's optional extra content that doesn't come with the package because said package is already a complete one, atleast it's supposed to be, and not everyone who get's the game is gonna get said content no matter how good it is. Plus a game needing a patch or DLC before it can become a complete experience is really not something that should be encouraged.

I of course ment the most recent and relevant entries, thought that'd be clear after I specifically named them, being MKWii and MK7. Feature/content-wise MK8 is not a significant step up from those games, that's just the simple truth.

So to be clear here, you're dismissing 200cc on the grounds that it wasn't part of the game at launch, even though it was added as a 100% free update less than a year after release? While ignoring the fact that certain features of games are completely removed after launch, for instance the termination of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection in 2014 resulting in Mario Kart Wii losing all of its online functionality roughly six years into its life?

It makes no sense to judge a game entirely by its day one content when we are no longer living in day one. If I buy Mario Kart 8 on day 365, I'll have access to different content from someone who bought it a year prior. This game, like many others these days, is a growing organism.

Mario Kart 8 is a step up from Wii and 7 out of the box, you don't even deny that. What makes it a significant step up is the DLC. The power is in your hands: play a game that is a step up from its predecessors, or play a game that is a significant step up. The developers are offering you this option. It's a very affordable option. If you get hung up on the principal of paying extra for something you feel should have been in the game to begin with, you'll lose sight of the value. You can pay $60 for a game with more content and way higher production value than Mario Kart Wii ($50) or Mario Kart 7 ($40), or you can pay $72 for a game with loads more content and way higher production value than them. You're looking at a 50% increase in tracks for less than a 50% increase in price compared to the Wii iteration. Factor in the expansion of gameplay variety with the kart transformations, and of the online features. Factor in the huuuge upgrade in presentation -- not just graphics, but music, animations, even MKTV plays into that. It's a feature people are quite enjoying, judging by its memetic popularity. And yeah, factor in 200cc, because it comes with the $60 version of MK8 as well.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

How heartless! I rarely ever used Ice Climbers, but I still feel for all those that did like them and would definitely rather have em in the game. Same for all the characters that didn't make it into MK8, though I actually did use Dry Bones, Birdo, n King Boo a decent amount, and would have liked to use Wiggler.

Einsam_Delphin said:
curl-6 said:

How heartless! I rarely ever used Ice Climbers, but I still feel for all those that did like them and would definitely rather have em in the game. Same for all the characters that didn't make it into MK8, though I actually did use Dry Bones, Birdo, n King Boo a decent amount, and would have liked to use Wiggler.

I have a limited supply of sympathy to give, so I reserve it for those who really need it. Like those poor souls who were looking forward to verbally abusing strangers from across the world in Splatoon. :p

curl-6 said:
Looks fantastic; so often add-on content (even back before the days of DLC) feels like just that; tacked on rather than a cohesive part of the package, and overall just not as good. The extra missions in the PS2/Wii versions of RE4 come to mind, for instance.
But with MK8, the extras not only feel right at home, but at least going by the first pack, are just as great as the on-disc stuff.

Also, this may be the graphics geek in me talking, but does anyone else feel like you can notice Nintendo getting better with the engine from the original content through to this latest DLC?

I thought the same thing to. The lighting, shadows and even the models look crisper. It may be a visual effect because the new levels look beyond stunning but I felt that the progress they've made in the short time since launch they've really grown leaps in their ability to produce in HD.

I'll say it, art direction this cycle from the Wii U has given me more of a wow factor than anything else I've seen on the next gen consoles. 

the_dengle said:

So to be clear here, you're dismissing 200cc on the grounds that it wasn't part of the game at launch, even though it was added as a 100% free update less than a year after release? While ignoring the fact that certain features of games are completely removed after launch, for instance the termination of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection in 2014 resulting in Mario Kart Wii losing all of its online functionality roughly six years into its life?

It makes no sense to judge a game entirely by its day one content when we are no longer living in day one. If I buy Mario Kart 8 on day 365, I'll have access to different content from someone who bought it a year prior. This game, like many others these days, is a growing organism.

Mario Kart 8 is a step up from Wii and 7 out of the box, you don't even deny that. What makes it a significant step up is the DLC. The power is in your hands: play a game that is a step up from its predecessors, or play a game that is a significant step up. The developers are offering you this option. It's a very affordable option. If you get hung up on the principal of paying extra for something you feel should have been in the game to begin with, you'll lose sight of the value. You can pay $60 for a game with more content and way higher production value than Mario Kart Wii ($50) or Mario Kart 7 ($40), or you can pay $72 for a game with loads more content and way higher production value than them. You're looking at a 50% increase in tracks for less than a 50% increase in price compared to the Wii iteration. Factor in the expansion of gameplay variety with the kart transformations, and of the online features. Factor in the huuuge upgrade in presentation -- not just graphics, but music, animations, even MKTV plays into that. It's a feature people are quite enjoying, judging by its memetic popularity. And yeah, factor in 200cc, because it comes with the $60 version of MK8 as well.

Not sure why you're telling me this, I already pre-bought both DLC packs. That doesn't change the fact that it's optional content that not everyone who has MK8 will get. Sure add in the 200cc, still not significant imo. Only with the additional tracks does the content difference become substantial to me.

Cubedramirez said:
curl-6 said:
Looks fantastic; so often add-on content (even back before the days of DLC) feels like just that; tacked on rather than a cohesive part of the package, and overall just not as good. The extra missions in the PS2/Wii versions of RE4 come to mind, for instance.
But with MK8, the extras not only feel right at home, but at least going by the first pack, are just as great as the on-disc stuff.

Also, this may be the graphics geek in me talking, but does anyone else feel like you can notice Nintendo getting better with the engine from the original content through to this latest DLC?

I thought the same thing to. The lighting, shadows and even the models look crisper. It may be a visual effect because the new levels look beyond stunning but I felt that the progress they've made in the short time since launch they've really grown leaps in their ability to produce in HD.

I'll say it, art direction this cycle from the Wii U has given me more of a wow factor than anything else I've seen on the next gen consoles. 

Yeah, Nintendo's graphical output on Wii U has improved dramatically since launch. It's no secret they struggled with HD development early on, but they seem to have a good handle on it now. Comparing launch games like New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendoland to newer stuff like this and Captain Toad, it's not even close.