By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the best RPG on the Nintendo 64? (NSFW)

XanderXT said:
Xxain said:
You ever play Quest 64?

I wouldn't try it. ProJared says it sucks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6lzitHLfMM

It was kinda fun at the time but is quite simple and hasn't aged well at all.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
XanderXT said:

I wouldn't try it. ProJared says it sucks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6lzitHLfMM

It was kinda fun at the time but is quite simple and hasn't aged well at all.

Yeah, it hasn't aged well.

Paper Mario and Hybrid Heaven are pretty much the only two good RPGs on the N64 as far as I'm aware. Oh, and Ogre Battle 64 was apparently good but I haven't played it yet (downloaded it on the Wii shop a while ago, though).

There were a few others (Holy Magic Century, Aidyn Chronicles) that were supposedly big disappointments.

The N64 had JRPG's?

That's news to me.

Seriously though, I've never played one.

Pixel Art can be fun.

The N64 had RPGs? lol yeah sure

Paper Mario.

Around the Network

Paper Mario for me

Ogre battle 64

Here's a fun fact.
Angel studios, the same people who made the N64 port of Resident Evil 2 tried to port Final Fantasy VII to the system as well, but Square turned the idea down. This would've been 2000-2001.

Wonder what could've been.

SpokenTruth said:
Johnw1104 said:

For anyone that played RPGs on the SNES before the N64, there was abasolutely nothing fun about Quest 64 at all.  That was demoralizing trying to play it.

KyleeStrutt said:
Here's a fun fact.
Angel studios, the same people who made the N64 port of Resident Evil 2 tried to port Final Fantasy VII to the system as well, but Square turned the idea down. This would've been 2000-2001.

Wonder what could've been.

Another fun fact.  Angel Studios is now known as Rockstar San Diego.

My experience with console RPGs was limited to ffi, ffiv, ffvi and some Sega genesis title... I recall one of the characters was named Alice.

I just found the exploration of this 3D world to be very exciting at the time, despite the gameplay. 

I'll have to default to Paper Mario but Ogre Battle 64 always seemed like a pretty interesting game, one to definitely check out in the future.