By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem's new anime direction (RANT)

Well, not everyone can like Fire Emblem Awakening or SMTxFE.... :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
ToraTiger said:

They are pretty much are the same thing.  I mean why not just make a new kit instead of changing the sword tip?  That character was not needed.    Japan had the largest sales of any one region, despite there being less people in Japan.  And lol @ nintendo fans thinking 1 million is a lot.  Just lol. 

Also I don't quite understand your last statement.  There is lots of evidence in the OP of how the new direction is changing the series too much and alienating the old time fans.

No they're not the same thing their style of play is completely different, one has to space while the other has to rush down, those are two widely different approaches in a game with many factors in play. Also saying lol when you haven't provided anything substantial doesn't give you any ground it just makes you look silly in an argument, you can't argue against what's been put forward so your response is the typical "Nintendo fans... lol" to try and save face.

The last statement is a reference to your reply to me on Smash and Awakening you've literally provided no substance in what you posted, at this point I'm expecting a post with "lol" here and there and some "Nintendo fans" jibe as that seems to be all you can muster here. Awakening according to this site sold more in the US then Japan so I don't know where you're getting the notion that it sold more in Japan from.

Look at the sales figures on Wikipedia, and it says it sold more in 2012 in Japan (8 months on shelves) than by september 2013 in America (Also About 8 months)I dont take these figures seriously on this site, as they're highly overtracked especially with Nintendo games. 

There is no point in arguing with someone who is defending the inclusion of Dark Pit and Lucina, who literally add zero to the game but filler in the rooster.   If you just said "Hey they're a bonus!" I would have agreed.  But if you expect me to take that seriously, that somehow since Lucina's sword tip is slightly different to Marth's is a reason for her to be included, than I honestly don't know what to say.  They have the exact same kit down to FS and B attacks. 

And I gave several reasons why I disliked most parts of Awakening, the hit and miss support system and dualstrike mechanic, the cliche characters, the overpriced DLC for exclusive classes, the artstyle which is a completely slapface from previous games in the series, the bland relationship conversations, the less than perfect story, ect.

Also this is relative to other FE games, not games in generally.  I just feel as though the tone and direction, art and new mechanics of Awakening makes it one of the weakest games in the series

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

Ouroboros24 said:

"Congrats Nintendo you have officially lost my money. Not that it matters with all the otaku people sworming to buy this game for all the wrong reasons, they can afford to piss off their original fanbase."

This, this!  Come on, we should be better than this.  The game isn't even out yet, it's just a 2 to 3 minute trailer, there's more info in the future so let's at least wait before we get more info instead of jumping the gun and totally writing it off. 

I mean I might buy it if its really good, but I don't want to support this chitty anime art style they have in FE at all. 

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:
NoirSon said:
Don't get it, why is it that guys that played previous games couldn't see (especially in Fire Emblem of all the games) that the characters were almost ALWAYS anime/manga tropes and stereotypes?

They better presented then the actual Japanese fanservice games like what has become of Sega's Shining RPG Franchise, your typical visual novel/harem simulator and some other games but the games despite being able to present their characters in styles closer more high quality anime designs in game are basically no to different from what came before.

I mean there is like ONE Fire Emblem game in the whole series that had a deeply dramatic plot twist and that one was never released outside of Japan. Most games are fairly similar fantasy war stories about invasions, magic and sometimes fake geopolitical strife that mirrors real world issues. You can say you are playing it for the characters which are sometimes memorable but if you are looking for dramatic story with twists and turns comparable to the best literature then you are playing the wrong franchise. Heck probably the wrong genre given outside of a few exceptions how often SRPGs go back to a similar well.

As far as the talk of dual strikes and the pair up, it could use some work but it presented a good reason to have multiple characters around one another in strategic placements as well as allowed two characters to get experience for one kill which is welcome given how limited supplies and battles can be in certain Fire Emblem games. Not so much in Awakening due to DLC and the world map with roaming encounters but it helps with leveling and I am for better or worst a grinder at heart.

In any case, my rant to your rant, neither matter in the long run, the franchise is making money and money trumps rants every time.

No they weren't, and they definietly didn't look like anime stereotypes, like in Awakening where lacked creative and memorablity, also the characters in POR were all well deisned and written, some of which come to mind is Lethe, Ranulf, Mordecai and Mia.  Now all the characters just seem like something you can find on any anime/anime inspired game out there.  There is literally like 2 characters in awakening that stood out for me

Also of course money trumps all with a company, and that is partially why Awakening was more successful than other games in the series, but Nintendo sales are at an all time low considering how many core gamerrs there are, and I doubt they will be getting any better any time soon with the way they change some franchise completely, milk others, and neglect the ones that have the most room for experimentation.

Lethe: Grumpy animal girl, initialy distrustful but grows off screen to be cool with humans aka beorc.

Mia: Cheery purple hair girl whose main motivation is becoming stronger

... Yeah that is SO much less the normal anime stereotypes then what we saw of characters in Awakening. I mean Panne and I guess Say'ri since she is the only female naturally in that class family unless you count Severa and the Mercenary class. But even then SO much more depth in Path of Radiance.

"I don't like this, that's why this sucks"

Around the Network
Hiku said:
ToraTiger said:
Hiku said:
ToraTiger said:

Why Nintendo?  What happened to the Path of Radiance Fire Emblem that was deep, concious, well paced and had good characters?

Path of Radiance sold 0.54m worldwide.
Awakening sold
1.55m worldwide.

More people responded positively to Awakening.
For every person who doesn't like the direction Awakening took, Nintendo will gladly take 3 others who do.

Lol at that comparison.  22 million gamecubes vs 50 million 3DS, also factor in 3DS has less games to play on it, Awakening's advertising and reviews.   And yeah I acknowledged its all about money, which is the only thing Nintendo seems to care about these days, they're becoming more and more like Ubisoft.  

BTW Are those Nintendo released sales? If they're just VGchartz sales, than I'm calling B.s

Awakening came out in early 2013, when 3DS was at 30m. Even though the game kept selling after that, it's hayday in sales is long since over. But even comparing it to todays numbers, Awakening still sold close to three times the amount of the GC game. Which is still notably more than the disparity between those two consoles today. However, rather than the difference in sales, a more important factor is that 1.55m is considered successful for the budget of a 3DS game, while 0.54 may not have been for the budget of a GC game. After all, Nintendo were about to shut down the Fire Emblem division for good, if Awakening didn't sell well enough on the 3DS. http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/25/fire-emblem-awakening-was-almost-the-last-game-in-the-series/
And Awakening surpassed Nintendo's expectations about sixfold. Add to that all the DLC they sold for the game, and it probably adds up to quite a bit more.

And it's VGC numbers. That's all we have to go on, unless you know a different source.

You expect me to believe they were really going to cancel a franchise of games so prominent in smash? Nintendo devs have a repuation for being pathological liars. Honestly find that hard to believe.  Even if the game did 50k I'm sure it wouldn't have gotten canceled, probably just put in the backburner with F-Zero and Star Fox. 

Also I highly doubt 1.50 million for FE:A, this site overtracks and I don't trust it, especially for nintendo games which are usually a good percentage higher than the offical release sales that nintendo gives out. 

And if you look at Wikipedia it has higher tracked sales for Japan in a shorter period of time, factor in 3DS' lackluster catolog of games, advertisting, marketing, ect, and fans of the franchise it was no wonder this game did okay in sales.

INB4 Someone says Nintendo devs aren't liars.

BRB Miyamoto: we aren't making a new 3DS model.   BRB 3 months later 3DS XL is out. 

BRB Iwata: We are making Wii U deluxe program limited  time only.  BRB one year later its still there.

BRB Sakurai: We aren't releasing DLC for Smash 4.  BRB Mii Costumes, fighter balot, Lucas,  Mewtoo. 

BRB Sakurai: Meewto is exclusive to those who bought both versions before x date.  BRB Mewtoo is up for dlc purchase at 6 dollars for both versions. 

Nothing these developers say should be taken seriously, or at least not without a grain of salt. 

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

I agree with the author, pretty much.

Don't really have anything else to say, except that i would like a new fire emblem on WiiU...and a good one, such as path of radiance/radiant dawn.

Wait, not done yet!

Mordecai: Big gentle, quiet animal guy powerhouse.

Ranulf: Cool confident badass pretty boy with high rank

Not going to lie, couldn't find someone comparable to Ranulf in Awakening but it has been a while since I played it, but OBVIOUSLY Mordecai is so much more of a character then Kellam or Libra.

Troll thread or not, couldn't let that one go.

NoirSon said:
ToraTiger said:
NoirSon said:
Don't get it, why is it that guys that played previous games couldn't see (especially in Fire Emblem of all the games) that the characters were almost ALWAYS anime/manga tropes and stereotypes?

They better presented then the actual Japanese fanservice games like what has become of Sega's Shining RPG Franchise, your typical visual novel/harem simulator and some other games but the games despite being able to present their characters in styles closer more high quality anime designs in game are basically no to different from what came before.

I mean there is like ONE Fire Emblem game in the whole series that had a deeply dramatic plot twist and that one was never released outside of Japan. Most games are fairly similar fantasy war stories about invasions, magic and sometimes fake geopolitical strife that mirrors real world issues. You can say you are playing it for the characters which are sometimes memorable but if you are looking for dramatic story with twists and turns comparable to the best literature then you are playing the wrong franchise. Heck probably the wrong genre given outside of a few exceptions how often SRPGs go back to a similar well.

As far as the talk of dual strikes and the pair up, it could use some work but it presented a good reason to have multiple characters around one another in strategic placements as well as allowed two characters to get experience for one kill which is welcome given how limited supplies and battles can be in certain Fire Emblem games. Not so much in Awakening due to DLC and the world map with roaming encounters but it helps with leveling and I am for better or worst a grinder at heart.

In any case, my rant to your rant, neither matter in the long run, the franchise is making money and money trumps rants every time.

No they weren't, and they definietly didn't look like anime stereotypes, like in Awakening where lacked creative and memorablity, also the characters in POR were all well deisned and written, some of which come to mind is Lethe, Ranulf, Mordecai and Mia.  Now all the characters just seem like something you can find on any anime/anime inspired game out there.  There is literally like 2 characters in awakening that stood out for me

Also of course money trumps all with a company, and that is partially why Awakening was more successful than other games in the series, but Nintendo sales are at an all time low considering how many core gamerrs there are, and I doubt they will be getting any better any time soon with the way they change some franchise completely, milk others, and neglect the ones that have the most room for experimentation.

Lethe: Grumpy animal girl, initialy distrustful but grows off screen to be cool with humans aka beorc.

Mia: Cheery purple hair girl whose main motivation is becoming stronger

... Yeah that is SO much less the normal anime stereotypes then what we saw of characters in Awakening. I mean Panne and I guess Say'ri since she is the only female naturally in that class family unless you count Severa and the Mercenary class. But even then SO much more depth in Path of Radiance.

Lethe's appearance and personality is probably more original than every female character in Awakening beside maybe Trickster Anna

BRB Sumia: Average shy girl who has a nack for getting what she wants.

BRB Lucina: Standard cool girl with sword and feelings to make you like her.

BRB Sully: Tough pretty girl with a foul mouth. 

BRB Tharja: Crazy Yandere chick that is hot for the avatar. 

BRB Olivia: Typical super shy hot girl that all the guys want

BRB Lissa: Typical likable cute little sister character for da pedos.

BRB: Myriel : Typical red haired serious smart chick.

BRB Emmeryn: Typical high consul noble smart women.

ect, ect.

You literally have a pick of any anime stereotype/cliche you're into

I make bad threads.  

Manlet Crew

I felt like the laid on the waifu adoration a little too thickly when I played Awalening (more so with Robin than with any other player)...
I intend to go back and play the game with fem Robin to see how that inpacts relationship development...
Character archetypes, and other issues mentioned by OP seem consostent with every other FE game I've ever played...
FE characters never had immense depth...

Have a nice day...