By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I think SMT x FE will be a lighter version of Persona 5

there is a sum-up paragraph for people who do not want to read all of the thread, so scroll down if you are one of them.

So, i've seen too many people keep on going on and on about SMT x FE's new trailer, saying stuff like "I didn't want a cutesy anime" or "This better be an April Fools joke", as well as stuff like "This game doesn't look good to me anymore", which in my opinion is stupid as people are saying this without looking into the trailer or what the devs have actually told us after the trailer was shown, and the fact it looks to be a Persona game but with a lighter atmosphere and with a SMT and FE spin put on to it shows that this game should be taken with a similar attitude to when Persona 5's trailer was shown. Because of this, I have decided to create a thread to try and show people that this game should be taken with a bit more respect and should be anticipated to be a good game.

First of all, let me talk about what one of the developers at Atlus said about SMT x FE:

"Atlus is developing Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem internally, and the team is focusing on the theme of modern Japan with characters that grow from various concerns and troubles in a RPG. It’s set in the real world, but there is a secret fantasy world that exists in parallel with characters from Fire Emblem."

(Quote from Onionberry's thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=200761 )

This quote alone proves that SMT x FE will not be just a highschool setting like a lot of people claim it to be. It clearly states that "The team is focusing on the theme of modern Japan", I do not see the word 'Highschool' mentioned in that quote. It also says that "There is a secret fantasy world ... with characters from Fire Emblem", this is obviously where Fire Emblem's role will take place, and by how they're saying it it sort of sounds like the other half of the whole game, which sounds like a good game to me. Also because of this,to all the Fire Emblem fans, do not worry.

I'll also talk about another quote from producer Shinjiro Takada:

"In this PV, many people may find it hard to understand where the essence of “Fire Emblem” comes into play. However, this will be explained more in the future, so please wait for a follow-up to this."

(Quote from Paatar's thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=200757  )

This also tells us that there will be Fire Emblem-related things in SMT x FE, so I don't think that people need to still worry that this game isn't going to be non-related to the games this game is based on, plus it tells us that we will be getting more information on the game in the near-future.

This also brings me onto my next point. I admit this is more of an educated guess than hard proof, but please hear me out. the quote says that "In this PV, many people may find it hard to understand where the essence of “Fire Emblem” comes into play", this tells me that this trailer shows a part that does not include many Fire Emblem-esc settings. From this, my guess is that the first hours of the game will soley take place in a modern setting, then mix in some fantasy as the game progresses like in Persona. The reason I think they would do this is that it is a great chance for the user to be able to get into the game more comfortably, and will give the game a chance to let you customize your character.

Just to expand on things a little, this is how I think the first few hours of SMT x FE could play out like:

First, we see the protagonist (you) being transfered into a new highschool, and when the teacher of your class introduces you, you will be told to give a name for the protagonist, and customize your look as well. After this, You will be introduced to the other original characters shown in the trailer. After this and a bit of fleshing out of the characters, they discover this "fantasy world", where they discover their powers shown in the trailer also. After this, they encounter the enemy of the game, who they defeat using the powers they discover (Sort of like what was shown in the trailer).

That might be how it goes, though I doubt it, but I hope you see what I mean, i wasn't trying to predict how the story will go. It will start out in a modern setting, but then introduce the fantasy side of the story. After this, the main characters will transition in and out of these worlds. But I can't really go further than that or talk about details since we know nothing about much of the story.

Now, how does Persona fit into all this? Well, you might pick up on that fact that this sounds very much like a Persona game with a less dark setting, which does not sound very bad to me (Let me remind you, light game =/= bad game), in fact, because of this SMT x FE should be embraced by fans more than it is right now, and the fact that it is getting a lot of flak makes me pretty sad as it looks to be shaping up to be a great game from what we can tell.

I also want to include a screenshot from the trailer that seems to be in the fantasy world I was talking about earlier:

I think this is probably more of a setting people are hoping, though I can't really say if its exactly Fire Emblem, but it does sort of confirm that there will be fantasy settings in SMT x FE.

Sum-up paragraph

I think that judging from all the quotes from the developers and the screenshot provided we can work out that SMT x FE will not just be a highschool anime-like setting, otherwise I don't think they would be using these IPs in the first place, plus I think although the game will definitely be influenced by SMT and Fire Emblem, I think that fans have to open up to the fact that new ideas will be incorparated into the game, and original characters will be introduced as well, and these aren't bad things, in fact, they will most-likely boost the enjoyment of the game. Additionally, I believe this game is looking to be a Persona-like game for the Wii U, which should be good news, and the game should not be put down asa  result. But anyways, you can give me flak for things i've said, I don't mind as this has been written from what I think, and people will definitely think differently. I hope that you will also give your opinion, but that's it from me!

(Disclaimer: As I have not played a Persona game, my facts might be a bit off, but from what I know of it I do understand what it basically is.)

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Around the Network

That's fine by all means in my opinion, Wii U needs a title like this

As someone already said. It looks like the Sword Art Online of JRPGs. Generic, with lots o fanservice but looks good enough to be interested in it.

I think this game is gonna be great, and my opinions won't be affected much by any of these settings and themes, as unusual as they may be for SMT and/or FE.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Turkish said:

As someone already said. It looks like the Sword Art Online of JRPGs. Generic, with lots o fanservice but looks good enough to be interested in it.

I doubt you've read what have written.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Around the Network

I think its going to be a great game and people just love to downplay this for no real reason. It just looks like a "lighter" version of Persona 5/SMT with some awesome FE elements to me which will make it be fantastic!

Please have Yuri

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

what if though this game has Fire Emblem's permanent death of party members if they fall in battle?

animegaming said:
what if though this game has Fire Emblem's permanent death of party members if they fall in battle?

Then it looks like I will be resetting the game quite often

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
animegaming said:

Then it looks like I will be resetting the game quite often

also Pro Controller support cause well lets just say those gamepads are pretty expensive to repair.

animegaming said:

it would be fantastic

Click HERE and be happy