By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - With the announcement of N64 Games on the Wii U....

I want Mischief Makers and I want Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Around the Network
Airaku said:

Can someone please explain to me why we are just now getting N64 games on the VC? First of all, it was there on the original Wii correct? the console is also backwards compatible, so why isn't the E-shop unified on the back end? I know you could switch to Wii mode and access them that way right? Ugh this is all really dreadful because all these games are going to need to be re-released ONE MORE TIME when the NX comes out and the back end of the new e-shop is unified with all platforms and devices. I really hope Nintendo gets the online experience right this time. Don't get me wrong, I do love my fair share of Miiverse and the online experience of Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8. Voice chat would be nice as well, the majority of Nintendo fans aren't kids.... Every 12-16 year old kid I know say Xbox is the cool shit and want the next CoD!

I understand they want to protect their audience from harassment and course language but actions speak louder than words. I've seen my fair share of cockmobile in Mario Kart DS.

if I remember correctly they have resolution upscaling to do for the SNES games and controller configuration on how the gamepad would work on a certain game.  so maybe that is the reason why SNES Wii VC didn't came to SNES Wii U VC asap?!

about the NX system, we don't know if it would be backwards compatible so let us not assume things here. 

Slade6alpha said:

I am glad they are putting Paper Mario on the VC though. 

Wait...are they starting to put N64 games on the Wii U Virtuall Console???? Yessssss, best news of the day for me

Edit: And DS games yessss I hope they put the Dragon Quest remakes (IV, V and VI)

Hopefully, never had the privilege to play them

gabzjmm23 said:
Airaku said:

Can someone please explain to me why we are just now getting N64 games on the VC? First of all, it was there on the original Wii correct? the console is also backwards compatible, so why isn't the E-shop unified on the back end? I know you could switch to Wii mode and access them that way right? Ugh this is all really dreadful because all these games are going to need to be re-released ONE MORE TIME when the NX comes out and the back end of the new e-shop is unified with all platforms and devices. I really hope Nintendo gets the online experience right this time. Don't get me wrong, I do love my fair share of Miiverse and the online experience of Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8. Voice chat would be nice as well, the majority of Nintendo fans aren't kids.... Every 12-16 year old kid I know say Xbox is the cool shit and want the next CoD!

I understand they want to protect their audience from harassment and course language but actions speak louder than words. I've seen my fair share of cockmobile in Mario Kart DS.

if I remember correctly they have resolution upscaling to do for the SNES games and controller configuration on how the gamepad would work on a certain game.  so maybe that is the reason why SNES Wii VC didn't came to SNES Wii U VC asap?!

about the NX system, we don't know if it would be backwards compatible so let us not assume things here. 

Well no we don't know if it is backwards compatible. Which is why I strongly believe everything would need to be rereleased because of this and because we will likely get a new eShop that is greatly improved and compatible with all platforms and devices. It may even go by a new name for a stronger brand as eShop unfortunately does not have the best reputation. This does not mean all platforms and devices can run the downloaded games. It simply means that the platforms and devices can access the new eShop and send games to their consoles to download if they aren't home. Sony is currently doing this.

As for the NX not having backwards compatibility. To be honestly I am very confident it wont UNLESS it has the Wii U's innards in addition to the new chipset. I believe Iwata confirmed that the NX is using an all new architecture. Unless he was referring to the OS (which I also think will get an overhaul), I think that rules out backwards compatibility. It actually kind of leans towards that maybe Nintendo will have some power under it's hood for it's time. Be a little more classic Nintendo and also remain relevant to third parties and people who only care about that stuff. After all I think Nintendo would get the hint with the Wii U not being the hit they had hoped for. We may see Nintendo transform the company image once again.

PS I freaking love my Wii U so don't get the wrong idea.

Around the Network
Airaku said:
gabzjmm23 said:
Airaku said:

Well no we don't know if it is backwards compatible. Which is why I strongly believe everything would need to be rereleased because of this and because we will likely get a new eShop that is greatly improved and compatible with all platforms and devices. It may even go by a new name for a stronger brand as eShop unfortunately does not have the best reputation. This does not mean all platforms and devices can run the downloaded games. It simply means that the platforms and devices can access the new eShop and send games to their consoles to download if they aren't home. Sony is currently doing this.

As for the NX not having backwards compatibility. To be honestly I am very confident it wont UNLESS it has the Wii U's innards in addition to the new chipset. I believe Iwata confirmed that the NX is using an all new architecture. Unless he was referring to the OS (which I also think will get an overhaul), I think that rules out backwards compatibility. It actually kind of leans towards that maybe Nintendo will have some power under it's hood for it's time. Be a little more classic Nintendo and also remain relevant to third parties and people who only care about that stuff. After all I think Nintendo would get the hint with the Wii U not being the hit they had hoped for. We may see Nintendo transform the company image once again.

i didn't have the wrong impression of you as nintendo gamer and I know, people who bought the Wii U already justified the purchase due to the games they wanted to play with the console especially most games can only be played in a Wii U.

you already mentioned about the DENA to unify the system accounts which was recently announced, i still hope that there would be games that can be played across different system. the smaller games from phones, tablets can be also downloaded and played in your 3Ds, Wii U and/or NX. but not a Wii U game, 3Ds game on a mobile phone or a tablet.

gabzjmm23 said:
Airaku said:

i didn't have the wrong impression of you as nintendo gamer and I know, people who bought the Wii U already justified the purchase due to the games they wanted to play with the console especially most games can only be played in a Wii U.

you already mentioned about the DENA to unify the system accounts which was recently announced, i still hope that there would be games that can be played across different system. the smaller games from phones, tablets can be also downloaded and played in your 3Ds, Wii U and/or NX. but not a Wii U game, 3Ds game on a mobile phone or a tablet.

That is true, my bad. I do agree that there are great games for the Wii U. I am very satisfied with my Wii U and the games I have. Pikmin 3 was phenomenal as is Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8. Hell I even loved ZombiU. Though the drought can hurt and I would like a few more of their heavy hitter franchises that have been underground for way too long. My biggest is that I often feel that Nintendo reduced the Wii U's power after it was revealed. When they first showed it off they had GREAT 3rd party support and games like Battlefield 3, Metro Last Light and a few others. They were all canceled the suddenly similar games can't run on the Wii U? I don't buy it, I mean sure they can still run but maybe not as nice as they showed them as Battlefield 3 was running the PC version. Why does all the demos they show not look nearly as good as the games we are getting? This is something I always have to question at times. Call me an idiot if you want. It seems to me that Nintendo really wanted to save power consumption and have the console efficient. This is very important for the Japanese market. Some days I wonder if North America/Europe have such a different audience and market for games than the Asian countries that the idea of regional consoles is not so absurd. China is getting their own custom console by Nintendo, one that the Chinese people can afford. Not to mention being more feasible to there countries and create a market where there is none. This is my own personal opinion, not facts or anything of that sort.

I do hope we get unified games and cross play like that. Though I don't want to ever see the console games held back because of this. A sacrifice like would not be a very good thing for us as gamers. Nor would it be for their reputation. It's a lose/lose situation in my eyes. Though I think that some cross play games could have great functionality if they are unified and meant to work together as one seamless experience.

Jumpin said:
Why are people saying GCN? GameCube Nintendo?
It should be NGC, not GCN, or simply just GC.
Better yet, why not PS2 Jr.?

GCN is the official abbreviation from Nintendo. Though I'm not sure why myself. 

Yep.

meh i honestly don't care. Everyone should go get a N64 and play them how they were designed to be played.

Jumpin said:
Why are people saying GCN? GameCube Nintendo?
It should be NGC, not GCN, or simply just GC.
Better yet, why not PS2 Jr.?

Please tell me that the last remark was a troll post? The GameCube was a fair bit more powerful than the PS2. Heck it wasn't off from the Xbox. The Xbox's CPU blew the GameCube out of the waters in clockspeed but the GameCube comes out on top on L1 and L2 Caches. Though the Xbox's CPU still takes the cake. The Xbox had better RAM spec wise but the GameCube's RAM was done a little different and is debatably better in performance. However debatable is a very strong key word here and should be considered so as. The Xbox probably wins here again. Where the GameCube wins noticeably is the GPU. The Xbox's peak polygon count/s in raw display is 29 million. The GameCube was 32 million. There are many other specs with the GPU I could throw your way that puts the GameCube on top. The GameCube couldn't do Doom 3 because it had a lot of CPU calculations on the back end with the lighting. The Xbox could not do all the great effects and reflections that Metroid Prime spoiled us with. Halo 2 was a great exception and a lot of work went into that game. Though I would say Metroid Prime looked better thanks to the little details, at least to me. There is no doubt that the GameCubes exlusives were stunning. Those Resident Evil games were really something else. There was a time where Nintendo pushed specs contrary to todays popular opinion.

Capcom literally had to rebuild Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 port. That was quite the laughable joke of the year! I remember that there was a rumor that Capcom apparently "fried a dev kit" when they tried a straight port. That was another joke that lasted all year and bled into the next. The PS2 had a fantastic library of games and there is no denying that. If anything is the PS2 jr. I would give that title to the Wii. They wanted a less powerful system that would appeal to a wider range of gamers both casual and hard-core and tap into a bigger market. Sounds a lot like the PS2 to me. Minus you know, a DVD player and all.