By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Plans Film Franchise Of Anime Series 'Robotech'

YouTube/AnimePicA screenshot of the opening sequence of Robotech.

Sony recently acquired the rights to the 1980s anime TV series "Robotech" and they have big plans for it. In this era of franchises, Sony is looking to build a live action film franchise on the science fiction anime series.

According to a report in Variety, Sony is first focusing on the first live action feature film that will kick off the franchise. It was reported that Michael Gordon who wrote "300" and "GI Joe" will work on the script, while Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton of "300" and "The Immortals" will produce the film.

The story will be based on the same premise as the anime series. It will be set in the future where humans are living in space and are making use of robot technology to defend themselves from alien invaders. The report cites that the series' story has the necessary elements that will have universal appeal and so many story possibilities for expansion into a franchise.

Sony Pictures Entertainment Group President Doug Belgrad, Columbia Pictures Production Chief Michael De Luca who will oversee the project, himself said: "With a history that offers an epic love triangle, a renegade hero, and a world on the brink of extinction, 'Robotech' offers a wide scope and a rich and impressive universe where the story possibilities are endless."

The original "Robotech" series which found its way in the US was made by Harmony Gold. It was adapted from three Japanese series. It ran for three seasons with 85 episodes. Aside from the TV series however, Robotech is also a franchise, with several animated feature films produced following the TV series.

There were earlier plans in 2008 for a live-action film, with Warner Bros. and Tobey MacGuire and Akiva Goldsman as producers. Even Leonardo diCaprio was interested to star in it. A string of writers were associated with the project, but nothing materialized. Warner Bros. final attempt was in 2013 when it tried to get Nic Mathieu to direct.

http://m.christianpost.com/news/sony-plans-film-franchise-of-anime-series-robotech--136672/

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

never saw the anime, but ive heard about it a lot, its one of those classics that i must watch some day, regardless of that... awesome news

If it looks on par visually with a Pacific Rim I'd see it.

this may be also something that may be or could be something in the works for gaming also, say for instance as an example of What if for instance:

One has to wonder is if this is or may be one of the reasons why Kojima may be interested in going and branching out from Konami!

Imagine a Zone Of Enders designed Robotech Game! But that Kojima gets to work with one of the most well known iP's out of Japan i doubt very many developers would pass up the chance to work with such a rich and well established franchise like Robotech!

would Kojima jump at the chance to do such a game if Sony pitched this iP for Kojima to work on as a Game franchise for Kojima to direct and help develop?

Hmmm, one does have to wonder..LOL

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Why not Macross? Also remakes, remakes everywhere, sigh.

Around the Network
Turkish said:

Legal issues. Harmony Gold are assholes and should be burned alive.  I'm all for the original Macross.

Turkish said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZmWbivW20U

Ruler said:
Turkish said:

Harmony Gold needs to die. They got the rights for the first Macross series back in the 80s but act like they own the entire franchise. I swear if I had a pretty penny I'd actually donate money to Tatsunoko and the other 2 companies that created Macross to challenge Harmony Gold in US and Euro courts.

Turkish said:
Ruler said:

Harmony Gold needs to die. They got the rights for the first Macross series back in the 80s but act like they own the entire franchise. I swear if I had a pretty penny I'd actually donate money to Tatsunoko and the other 2 companies that created Macross to challenge Harmony Gold in US and Euro courts.

Studio Nue and Big West. And Tatsunoko started this mess in the first place until they straighten things out in a Japanese court. 

I've seen some of the anime. Hopefully, sony can make some decent films from it.