By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Portable RPG Reccomendation (or just a long, time consuming game)

Tagged games:

Etrian Oddyse 4 - have it - spent 100+ hours in millenium girl and so I took a break - I expect 60-70 hours at least

Bravely Default - 120+ hours (I did every quest and multiple endings) great game - gets a bit repetative towards the end - last boss is quite a jump difficulty wise and even maxed out on every profession - it took some time to develop a strategy that worked for me.

Shin megami tensei IV - 100+ hours for me - my first SMT game it took me quite a while to learn the ropes - very enjoyable throughout

Monter Hunter 4 - not played

Persona Q - on my wish list

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance - played it - couldn't get into it - plan to try again 'sometime' otherwise it sits in my game case... :(

Vrtue Last Reward - never played it.

Other games to consider:

Etrian Oddessy Millenium Girl - good story - fun game

Fire Emblem - wow - awesome - tons of playtime - grindable, SRPG if you like those - fun fact the game gives you bonuses and other fun items depending on real life dates.  Honestly this one is on my list of games you should own if you have a 3ds

Conception II - children of the seven stars - odd system - not as wierd as it sounds from reading it - so far decent story (about 1/2 way through it with 40-50 hours in)

Pokemon X/Y - if you like Pokemon - they are good games

Legend of Zelda :  A link between worlds - if you like zelda at all this is a blast to play - *way* better with the 3d on.

Animal Crossing - new leaf - this is such an odd game - usually not a fan of 'life simulations' but it's odd - has humor - is fun - and has something to do almost every day that is different - for a game that really can suck up 100's of hours of your time and never really end this one gets the 'gotta go back to my town to do this one thing' award for replayability

games I want but haven't picked up:

SMT: soul hackers

I have played Fire Emblem, X/Y, and and a Link between Worlds.  all of them are fantastic

I have played Monster Hunter and liked it a lot. hence 4 on my list...

I played Animal Crossing on Gamecube when I was 6 or 7, then I returned it because I thought it was boring (it was compared to my other game, mario sunshine)

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
BlowoverKing said:
If you don't own a Vita, go out and buy one. Then buy Persona 4 Golden and come out the other side of that trip a different man. Seriously.

Quoted for truth hahah! Vita is the king ATM for JRPGs IMO.

On 3DS however Tales of the Abyss is definitely a good shout that's not on your list.

Are there any good Vita Deals at the moment?  I don't really want to buy a vita because I thought there were still so expensive and really only had a few good games... like enough for it to still be worth owning, but not enough to warrant a 300$ purchase who only has time to play intense JRPGs on transcontinental trips...

Proud Owner of:

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

2Quick said:
MikeRox said:

On 3DS however Tales of the Abyss is definitely a good shout that's not on your list.

Are there any good Vita Deals at the moment?  I don't really want to buy a vita because I thought there were still so expensive and really only had a few good games... like enough for it to still be worth owning, but not enough to warrant a 300$ purchase who only has time to play intense JRPGs on transcontinental trips...

If you're specifically looking for an RPG machine, I think Vita hits that bill with a bullseye. It has a solid library of game most gamers overlook (I feel anyway). 'm probably a little biased, but I do come from a perspective who owns both systems and has played them immensely. Right now, Amazon has Vita on sale for 169$. I'd say it's worth the price.

2Quick said:
MikeRox said:

As the post above says. They're currently $170 in the US. I think Bestbuy were doing the Borderlands 2 bundle for that too. (This one includes an 8gb memory card too if you can find it).

There's a very overlooked catalogue, but on the JRPG front it's been heaven lately with lots of decent exclusives getting western releases despite the userbase. And it seems there are more announced each week too.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

All the outlines listed above are pretty excellent. FF III and IV are great as is Devil Survivor. They're some of my DS favorites. Although I'm going to push for 999. I started that game just knowing that there were puzzles and a lot of reading. Both of these notes are true, but the game became so completely engrossing for me that I could not put it down. The characters are great and you become quite attached to them. The story is crazy. And there's multiple outcomes that encourage additional playthroughs, with some fast forwarding type features if I'm remembering correctly. So good. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give away even a little bit.

Plus there's a sequel on 3DS that's equally as engrossing.

Around the Network
llyod85 said:
All the outlines listed above are pretty excellent. FF III and IV are great as is Devil Survivor. They're some of my DS favorites. Although I'm going to push for 999. I started that game just knowing that there were puzzles and a lot of reading. Both of these notes are true, but the game became so completely engrossing for me that I could not put it down. The characters are great and you become quite attached to them. The story is crazy. And there's multiple outcomes that encourage additional playthroughs, with some fast forwarding type features if I'm remembering correctly. So good. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give away even a little bit.

You probably don't know. But did 999 ever get a release on the EU 3DS store at all? The game itself never came out here I don't think and I would love to give it a try. I have Virtue's Last Reward on Vita and it is awesome. And then the other VN games on Vita like Danganronpa are also great. (Yeah, this was a genre that didn't appeal in the slightest, and now it's one of my favourites! Can't wait for Stein's Gate :D)

I'd love to have a crack at 999 but I've just never come across it in any shops.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

2Quick said:

You can buy a Vita, Persona 4 Golden, and a 16gb memory card (I don't recommend anything lower than 16gb) for $226 from amazon or $221 if you go digital on P4G.

Then once you've experienced Vita nirvana you can delve into it's huge catalog of Vita, PSP, and PS1 games.

*edit* Heres a list of great native Vita games, both Jrpgs and games kinda like Jrpgs:

• Persona 4 Golden
  • Ys: Memories of Celceta
  • Tales of Hearts R
  • Demon Gaze
  • Hyper Dimension Neptunia games (Suprisingly good)
  • Disgaea 3 and 4
  • Freedom Wars
  • Soul Sacrifice Delta
  • DanganRonpa 1 and 2 
  • Dragon's Crown
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
  • Muramasa Rebirth
  • Toukiden (expanded version come out next week)

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

llyod85 said:

Is that game also called virtue's last reward?

Proud Owner of:

Bravely Default is an excellent game, also Fire Emblem: Awakening if you havent tried it yet.

2Quick said:
llyod85 said:

Is that game also called virtue's last reward?

Yes.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs