By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's Marketing U-Turn

I'm glad. Nintendo need fired all PR marketing IMO.

Around the Network

Most of the ads were garbage. And their naming of products is still as horrible as ever.

not bad

Switch!!!

Slarvax said:
Eeeh. The only difference between 2014-15 and 2012-13 are the constant releases. Amiibo, games, and N3DS = more ads, commercials, exposure. They are just as bad/good as before. And the lack of this was only problematic to TW101, which Nintendo thought was a good idea to promote only through the Internet.

I give Nintendo ad campaigns an "Eegh"/5 stars.

I wish I lived in the 2012-2013 you lived through.  Cause Nintendo's marketing in 2013 was outright atrocious.  I honestly think their "The Pitch" ad campaign decreased sales.   Assuming you actually saw anything in terms of marketing at all from Nintendo in 2013; they seriously funded their marketing with the change from the couch cushions.

As for now, they're persistent but not consistent.  The Smash 3DS commercials were really bad for a long time until they put out one good one well after launch.  The Smash Wii U commercials were...well they were alright, the usual kind of holiday campaigns you see.  Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, and Mario Kart 8 all had strong campaigns with solid ads.  Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse ads were definitely not very good, but then again I'm shocked Nintendo advertised them at all given that they are inherently "cuddly" and don't lend themselves well to TV promotion.  The Pokemon OR/AS commercials were a corny (child actors almost always result in a drop in quality) but they weren't half bad.  Their New Nintendo 3DS ads do a good job of *explaining* it (something the Wii U launch campaign failed spectacularly at) and overall they aren't too bad, though they aren't amazing either. Their internet promotion is vastly improved (but their YouTube policies still suck) of course and their E3 was a huge step forwards.  Overall, a definite step up from 2012 but not awesome.  Improvements have been made but they still have a ways to go.  If nothing else, they have recognized the importance of marketing; I saw a Smash ad at the theaters leading up to launch and that was definitely unexpected.  What Nintendo LACKS is an actual, all-encompassing campaign, an organized push with a distinctive Wii U image.