By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Spoilers: Rambling thoughts on Shin Megami Tensei IV

sc94597 said:
Clyde32 said:

Perhaps I'll play 2 then. I liked Persona 3's story better than 4's, but 4 trumped 3 in almost every other way. 3 had better dungeon crawling sections, but that was in comparison. 

This is a decent review on Persona 2: EP 

View on YouTube

and Persona 2: IS

View on YouTube

I'll be sure to give it a watch once I finish my homework.

Around the Network
Clyde32 said:

If you are looking for a good entry point into SRPGs, Fire Emblem: Awakening seems to be everyone's favorite.

Yeah lol that's what I've been looking most specifically at. I'm in no rush, but as soon as an opportunity presents itself like what happened with SMT IV, I'll be more than willing to give it another swing.

sc94597 said:

Since you liked SMTIV you'll like Nocturne. It is very similar, but better. I'm not a huge fan of SRPG's myself, but Devil Survivor is a lot of fun despite the SRPG elements. The core gameplay is indeed press-turn and demon merging. However, there are tactical elements and on-field turns. The fun thing about it being an SRPG is that you have three parties that you control at a time, all with their own demons, and you implement them to take out certain enemies on the field. If anything can get you into SRPGs (in prepartion for the maybe release of Fire Emblem X SMT) then I think these games will. Strange Journey is again more like a numbered title, except you aren't in Tokyo and it is a lot more science-fiction like. The characters are simplistic, but not as flat as SMTIV's, and the gameplay is more retro than Nocturne's and IV because the dungeons are first person. 

Persona and Persona 2  have a teen setting, but the tone is much more in line with the SMT series. Unlike SMT though there is a lot of grinding involved. The card system (gives you personas) is not as fun as demon merging. 

Well the grinding pretty much destroys any intrest I had in P2. I'm all for a good story, but like I always say, it has to be a good game first. I can forgive bad story when there's good gameplay, but the other way around is much tougher to do, and grinding is the antithesis of good gameplay to me.

That's actually a really good point. Devil Survivor is probably a really good look at how the gameplay might be for SMT x FE... Hm...

spemanig said:

I think that's what's so brilliant about Isabeau. I mean if you think about it, the MC is just as paper thin as she is. It's the first time I've actually wished that a silent protagonist would speak, but if you think about it, it's fitting. If you don't take the neutral path, you're basically seen by her as your partner's sidekick, and someone who got manipulated.

Or maybe I'm just giving them a little too much credit lol. I don't think she's great, just better than the other two in a lot of ways. I don't think the really developes much at all, but it does seem to depend on the path you take in an interesting way at least.

As the MC represents you, I don`t think the MC would be able to talk, as with any MCs who represent you. It would sort of break this tie that that the MC is you by saying something or in a way that you wouldn`t say. Isabeau does seem interesting in that, unless you`re neutral, she is your enemy, seeming like maybe the side you picked isn`t the right one, which maybe makes me think I made a wrong choice or didn`t think things clearly enough. I don`t know...! I just feel bad when I had to defeat her. I wish it didn`t have to end that way...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:

As the MC represents you, I don`t think the MC would be able to talk, as with any MCs who represent you. It would sort of break this tie that that the MC is you by saying something or in a way that you wouldn`t say. Isabeau does seem interesting in that, unless you`re neutral, she is your enemy, seeming like maybe the side you picked isn`t the right one, which maybe makes me think I made a wrong choice or didn`t think things clearly enough. I don`t know...! I just feel bad when I had to defeat her. I wish it didn`t have to end that way...

For me, the Tokyo reveal really shattered my immersion in that regard. And while I think that was a good thing, it did disconnect me with the main character, as there's no way I could pretend to be in their shoes anymore. I already understood something about the world that the MC could never. I think it was good, but I think that the side effect is that I started looking at the MC as someone else, instead an avatar, and he felt pretty boring to me.

Doesn't Robin from Fire Emblem speak? Couldn't that work? Or something like Shepard from Mass Effect? I hate Mass Effect though...

I don't know what's best I guess, but I just didn't feel like being silent worked for Flynn like it works for other silent protags.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Clyde32 said:

If you are looking for a good entry point into SRPGs, Fire Emblem: Awakening seems to be everyone's favorite.

Yeah lol that's what I've been looking most specifically at. I'm in no rush, but as soon as an opportunity presents itself like what happened with SMT IV, I'll be more than willing to give it another swing.

It's also a good way to prepare for SMT X FE.

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

For me, the Tokyo reveal really shattered my immersion in that regard. And while I think that was a good thing, it did disconnect me with the main character, as there's no way I could pretend to be in their shoes anymore. I already understood something about the world that the MC could never. I think it was good, but I think that the side effect is that I started looking at the MC as someone else, instead an avatar, and he felt pretty boring to me.

Doesn't Robin from Fire Emblem speak? Couldn't that work? Or something like Shepard from Mass Effect? I hate Mass Effect though...

I don't know what's best I guess, but I just didn't feel like being silent worked for Flynn like it works for other silent protags.

I think in the case of SMT IV, I mean a representation of the player in terms of morality, like where you lie in terms of good and bad, or what seems right or wrong to you. In this case, I felt it was better for the MC to be silent, at least for me, or maybe I liked him being silent...

When I was thinking about the player as the MC, I did think of Robin as he does talk and it did work there. Though maybe it didn`t like I was playing as me, but a different me or someone else as me..? I`m not sure. I think voiced characters can work, as FE and ME show, although it doesn`t feel like I am Shepard but playing as a good or bad Shepard. It feels a little hard for me to explain...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Clyde32 said:

It's also a good way to prepare for SMT X FE.

Yeah, that's the biggest reason I want to play it. It's funny. Usually a crossover is meant to get the fan of one franchise interested in the other, like with Hyrule Warriors. In my case though, it's gotten a fan of neither franchise interested in both lol.

Cloudman said:

I think in the case of SMT IV, I mean a representation of the player in terms of morality, like where you lie in terms of good and bad, or what seems right or wrong to you. In this case, I felt it was better for the MC to be silent, at least for me, or maybe I liked him being silent...

When I was thinking about the player as the MC, I did think of Robin as he does talk and it did work there. Though maybe it didn`t like I was playing as me, but a different me or someone else as me..? I`m not sure. I think voiced characters can work, as FE and ME show, although it doesn`t feel like I am Shepard but playing as a good or bad Shepard. It feels a little hard for me to explain...

Yeah. I don't see why the character couldn't represent the players' moral choice, while still being character independant of the player. It's actually funny. Whenever I was wearing a mask, I felt like me, only to remember during battles and cutscenes that it was this completely different character. I just didn't think being silent worked in his favor very much. Expecially when the only thing you ever hear him say is Burroughs. We all know he has a voice that's not ours lol.

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

Yeah. I don't see why the character couldn't represent the players' moral choice, while still being character independant of the player. It's actually funny. Whenever I was wearing a mask, I felt like me, only to remember during battles and cutscenes that it was this completely different character. I just didn't think being silent worked in his favor very much. Expecially when the only thing you ever hear him say is Burroughs. We all know he has a voice that's not ours lol.

Hmm, all I have left is maybe the dev team wanted you to feel like you were the character, by making him silent? I`m not sure.

Yeah, he does say Burroughs, so he can talk. I guess they didn`t want him to talk... : /

Dance my pretties!