By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Console and Handheld Web Browsers

Do you use console/handheld web browsers?

Yes, for almost everything. 2 22.22%

Most of the time. 0 0%

50/50 between console/han... 1 11.11%

Very rarly. 4 44.44%

Never 2 22.22%

Total:9

I'm just curious how many people use the web browsers on the handheld and home consoles.

I personally stopped using PC's over 10 years ago, and went back and forth between mobile and handhelds until finally going fully PS Vita about 3 months ago. I just find the consoles way more convienent, as I am typically either gaming or on the forums. All of my banking, online productivity sights, youtube, dailym motion, and such work just fine when I need them, so I see no reason to use another device.

The only thing I really wish the consoles had is PDF support. Every now and then I have to use my Xperia Z3 to check a statement or read a press release.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

I would use consoles if I were stuck in some deserted island with access to Wi-Fi but had no computers and I was losing almost a liter of blood because that's the state I'd have to be in to make such a rash decision.

OK, jokes aside, browsing on almost anything that isn't PC is a drag when you've grown to learn how easy and intuitive PCs are with browsers. The same applies to tablets and smartphone (as in, vastly inferior). You know, despite the fact that the PS4 is a rather strong piece of hardware, I still had an easier and smoother time browsing online with a less powerful PC from 10 years ago than with this thing. The browser lousy and the fact is controllers just really aren't made for browsing.

That said, I will say that the Wii U, for as much crap people give it for being inferior in hardware, at least works really well as a browser thanks to the stylus (and it somehow runs smoother than my PS4, which I found inexcusable).

I don't use consoles/handhelds for web browsing because you can do all that and more with a laptop/smartphone

Honestly, I don't even use my smartphone to browse the internet because it is slow. Just use a laptop.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Thanks for the responses so far. Do you guys keep your PC/Laptops on all the time, or do you boot them up just to browse the web? The thing I always hated was having to boot the computer or laptop up just to browse the web, when my I have the TV and a console on all the time, and typically have a handheld by my side as well.

If you have the PC/Laptop on all of the time, what are you doing with it? I have just never been able to find anything to do on PC, that I could not do better on a console.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Can't use them, they crash and freeze too much to use consistently.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Thanks for the responses so far. Do you guys keep your PC/Laptops on all the time, or do you boot them up just to browse the web? The thing I always hated was having to boot the computer or laptop up just to browse the web, when my I have the TV and a console on all the time, and typically have a handheld by my side as well.

If you have the PC/Laptop on all of the time, what are you doing with it? I have just never been able to find anything to do on PC, that I could not do better on a console.

I don't really have a high-end PC, but it performs very well for browsing, watching videos and working on assignments. I think the biggest advantage PCs have are two aspects.

The first is mouse & keyboards, which makes browsing and typing much easier. I already feel bothered typing in a video title for a youtube video on my PS4's through its controller, no way would I bother writing a comment on a forum like I'm doing now on any console (except maybe the Wii U).

The second aspect is probably adaptability seeing as some websites don't work or work partially with consoles/mobiles because they don't support the coding or whatever the appropriate technical term should be here.  So I feel like my browsing experience is limited in other mediums because of that.

Don't get me wrong though, I can see you point with using your console to just do it all. Afterall why should I close my console, go to my room/office to boot up the PC when I could just stay on my couch and access a broswer from my couch? Consoles have been trying to push the idea of a "all in one box" for playing, watching your Blu-Rays and browsing the Internet. If all of those features are working for you satisfyling enough, awesome. Also, I own a Vita but have rarely used its browser feature, I usually opt my phone for that when I'm on the go. How is it and how does it compare to a smartphone?

NobleTeam360 said:

Which console? I have not had any issue with my PS4 or Vita browsers crashing or freezing in months. Now the windows 7 PC's at on the other hand, whether it is Firefox, IE, or Chrome, that is a daily occurence, and usually more than once. That is with using them half as much as I do the PS4.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

yoscrafty said:

I don't really have a high-end PC, but it performs very well for browsing, watching videos and working on assignments. I think the biggest advantage PCs have are two aspects.

The first is mouse & keyboards, which makes browsing and typing much easier. I already feel bothered typing in a video title for a youtube video on my PS4's through its controller, no way would I bother writing a comment on a forum like I'm doing now on any console (except maybe the Wii U).

The second aspect is probably adaptability seeing as some websites don't work or work partially with consoles/mobiles because they don't support the coding or whatever the appropriate technical term should be here.  So I feel like my browsing experience is limited in other mediums because of that.

Don't get me wrong though, I can see you point with using your console to just do it all. Afterall why should I close my console, go to my room/office to boot up the PC when I could just stay on my couch and access a broswer from my couch? Consoles have been trying to push the idea of a "all in one box" for playing, watching your Blu-Rays and browsing the Internet. If all of those features are working for you satisfyling enough, awesome. Also, I own a Vita but have rarely used its browser feature, I usually opt my phone for that when I'm on the go. How is it and how does it compare to a smartphone?

Ooh, I have had a wireless keborad hooked up to my PS3 and PS4 for years. Yeah, I would not even think about browsing without at least the keyboard. Every one of my posts on here has come from either the PS3, PS4, or the Vita.

As for compatability, yes the Vita is behind the smartphones, but PS4 pretty much runs everything. The only issue with PS4 is flash heavy sites, but most are going to HTML5 so it is very very rare to run into an issue.

I do preffer the Z3 browser to the Vita, but I preffer Wipeout, Need For Speed Rivals, Gran Turismo, Resogun, Helldivers and much more during my breaks than sitting around bored with the Z3. When I get home I already have the Vita with me and fully charged from work and the PS4 right in frount of me, so I don't even bother to get the Z3 out of my room.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Which console? I have not had any issue with my PS4 or Vita browsers crashing or freezing in months. Now the windows 7 PC's at on the other hand, whether it is Firefox, IE, or Chrome, that is a daily occurence, and usually more than once. That is with using them half as much as I do the PS4.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One, Vita was pretty stable from what I recall but it was slower than a normal computer web browser. 

I absolutely never use consoles or handhelds for browsing the web. For me, it's my laptop or my phone (if my laptop isn't available).

Better rendering, easier multi-tasking, faster, higher resolution.

Most importantly: more extensible. I have Google dictionary, lastpass, adblock, and all manner of other extensions plugged into my browser that lets me customise and improve my browsing experience.