By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Development Of Smart Device Games Will Be Done Primarily By Nintendo

Welp that sucks! Now they will be using their resources to make games for smartphones instead of using them to make more games for their dedicated gaming systems. Lamee!!!!

I guess we will see whether or not this is a success or a failure

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

As I've said. I was right about this after all =p

Not really that surprising. Nintendo cares a lot about their IPs so it makes sense they'd want to have a hand in how their IPs are used, even on mobile.

After they lay the groundwork for how they want their games to play on mobile, I think we may see Nintendo start letting outside developers work on their franchises similar to the way they do on thier handhelds/consoles.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

just for the lulz,. i look forward the the impending announcement that retro is now a mobile only developer.

Around the Network
DerpSandwich said:
Ugh. I'm all for this whole move, but the idea of Nintendo's already-spread-thin production teams devoting time to smartphone games and reducing the output of full games even further is just dreadful.

It won't spread them further if they are also their console games. F2P is already proving to be a success on home consoles.

Best on Nintendo. Playable on your iPhone.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

kitler53 said:
just for the lulz,. i look forward the the impending announcement that retro is now a mobile only developer.

No they are going to make NST do it so maybe they can get back into game development.

But seriously I think they are going to create a new studio for mobile development, hire new faces and prepare the camps.

MikeRox said:
DerpSandwich said:
Ugh. I'm all for this whole move, but the idea of Nintendo's already-spread-thin production teams devoting time to smartphone games and reducing the output of full games even further is just dreadful.

It won't spread them further if they are also their console games. F2P is already proving to be a success on home consoles.

Best on Nintendo. Playable on your iPhone.

They won't be their console games, so yes, it will be spreading them further.

it's like they don't have enough to do already now they are going mobile as well!

I sure hope this helps their business rather than work against them

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Soundwave said:
DerpSandwich said:

Well if NX is indeed a fusion platform where Nintendo's designers no longer how to be seperated into DS/Wii dev teams ... that could free up a new business model

Pillar 1: NX development

New Pillar 2: Smart Device development 

in the past, lets say Ninty's console/hh was split 50/50 in team resources.  With NX (fusion), they'd still be on the positive end when it comes to software output, even if we are generous to grant 20% to mobile that's 80 left to NX.  

The DeNA news IMO reinforces the fusion theory and its great all around for Nintendo's business and core gamers.