By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What is your current/dream gaming rig?

Hmmm. Damn. Could do that, although maybe I can grab a single 980gtx now (just so I can put my system together and get it up and running. Giving my 3 year old PC to my nephew.) and then convert it to a dedicated phys x card when the 390x/titanx become available to mass market? Would that be a good idea? Promised it for his birthday this weekend, s'why I'm in such a rush to put together a new rig... :p

Around the Network

Using a 980 just for PhysX seem like a waste.

Why not going with a 970 (slower but also quite cheaper) until you make your final decision? Or you could get the 980 and sell it once you have your final cards, making some money back.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Using a 980 just for PhysX seem like a waste.

Why not going with a 970 (slower but also quite cheaper) until you make your final decision? Or you could get the 980 and sell it once you have your final cards, making some money back.

Might do the 970 -> phys X thing. Is there a mark difference between the 980 vs the 970 in terms of converting it to a dedicated phys x? Can I use the new Radeons with a 970 as a dedicated phys x card? What kinda power supply are we looking at if I SLI 2 titans plus a 970 phys x card? Is that even recommended?

I'd love to answer, but I honestly have no idea.

I think you'll need a big PSU for that, one with at least 1000W.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
I'd love to answer, but I honestly have no idea.

I think you'll need a big PSU for that, one with at least 1000W.

Okok. :) You've been very helpful. Thaks fir the replies!!

Around the Network

A dream rig for me would be the most powerful computer that one can build occupying the least amount of space as possible. Any yahoo can build a specd out full tower PC, but making a small build that mops the floor with 99% of PC's out there is the real challenge.

So an ITX with rig with 295x2 or a small mATX with dual Titan X's/390x/GTX980s.

Silverstone sg 10 is a cool mATX case I'd consider.

Ok, my current choices so far:

Intel core i7 4790k CPU
Asus Z97-A Mboard
Corsair Vengeance 16gb 1600mhz RAM
Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD5 CPU cooler
Corsair Prof Series 860w Platinum Power Supply
MSI GeForce 970 GTX (to be replaced by 2x Titan X SLI when available)

Still looking for best SSD/HD combo for storage...

How is it? :)

My current rig is complete outdated(the early 2013), it's still stock not upgraded any component, next year i will build PC freshly, or maybe 2017. :)

Your setup looks solid.

I'd take a look on the net to make sure that there are no problems with your RAM and CPU cooler. The Phanteks is a really big cooler that will cover your RAM slots and those Vengeance RAM have tall heatsinks.