By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What is your current/dream gaming rig?

Kirin_gaming said:
DrDoomz said:

What are the best manufacterers for the 980gtx? Are all 980's SLI-enabled? Checking amazon and I only see evga as the only one that specifies SLI. :)

What's the best ddr3 memory I can find?

Again, thanks for the replies guys.

If you're planning on building a 4k rig I would wait for cards with more than 4gb of ram.I game at 4k with 3xgtx780ti and I always have to turn down textures, sometimes even shadows, the 780ti is a 3gb card though.Back when I built the rig in 2013 3gb was more than enough to max everything at 4k, nowdays some games use more than 4gb even at 1080p.

Now if you still want to build that rig,and money is not a problem, I suggest you get 3 EVGA gtx 980 classiffied.Only 2 980 are not enough if you want to a completely smooth experience with no frame drops whatsoever.

For cpu and again only if  money is not a problem get an i7 5960X but only if you aren't planning on upgrading in a few year later, if you're planning on upgrading later, get an i7-5930K.

For ram is the same get ddr4 if you aren't upgrading, and ddr3 if you are upgrading later.

How are you able to link 2 gfx cards? I thought SLI only allowed 2? Is one a dedicated PhysX card?

Yeah, upgrading in 2-3 years. Is EVGA the best manufacturer for 980's? Heard they ran hotter and noisier than gigabyte or msi?

thanks. :)

Around the Network
DrDoomz said:
Kirin_gaming said:

If you're planning on building a 4k rig I would wait for cards with more than 4gb of ram.I game at 4k with 3xgtx780ti and I always have to turn down textures, sometimes even shadows, the 780ti is a 3gb card though.Back when I built the rig in 2013 3gb was more than enough to max everything at 4k, nowdays some games use more than 4gb even at 1080p.

Now if you still want to build that rig,and money is not a problem, I suggest you get 3 EVGA gtx 980 classiffied.Only 2 980 are not enough if you want to a completely smooth experience with no frame drops whatsoever.

For cpu and again only if  money is not a problem get an i7 5960X but only if you aren't planning on upgrading in a few year later, if you're planning on upgrading later, get an i7-5930K.

For ram is the same get ddr4 if you aren't upgrading, and ddr3 if you are upgrading later.

How are you able to link 2 gfx cards? I thought SLI only allowed 2? Is one a dedicated PhysX card?

Yeah, upgrading in 2-3 years. Is EVGA the best manufacturer for 980's? Heard they ran hotter and noisier than gigabyte or msi?

To use SLI just plug  2 or more of the same card into the PCI E and install the drivers provided with the cards, not every motherboard supports SLI though, so decide which cpu you are getting and make sure that the motherboard for that CPU supports SLI.

About the 980's I can't speak from personal experience about the 900 series but my GPU is x3 780ti Classified which are from evga and they run flawlessly, the gpu clock is @ 1300mhz which is 425mhz above the base clock of the stock card, so basically what that means is that I got really good chips from them.I'd say EVGA is a really good manufacturer, but it never hurts to do some research.

Kirin_gaming said:
DrDoomz said:

To use SLI just plug  2 or more of the same card into the PCI E and install the drivers provided with the cards, not every motherboard supports SLI though, so decide which cpu you are getting and make sure that the motherboard for that CPU supports SLI.

About the 980's I can't speak from personal experience about the 900 series but my GPU is x3 780ti Classified which are from evga and they run flawlessly, the gpu clock is @ 1300mhz which is 425mhz above the base clock of the stock card, so basically what that means is that I got really good chips from them.I'd say EVGA is a really good manufacturer, but it never hurts to do some research.

Oh sorry, typo. I meant how are you able go link 3 sli cards? Lol. Cuz you posted thst your gpu was 3x 780tis. :)

DrDoomz said:
Kirin_gaming said:

Oh sorry, typo. I meant how are you able go link 3 sli cards? Lol. Cuz you posted thst your gpu was 3x 780tis. :)

SLI supports up to 4 cards at the same time.

Kirin_gaming said:
DrDoomz said:

SLI supports up to 4 cards at the same time.

Sweet. Didn't know that. Always thought it was 2 at a time.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
Danman27 said:

JEMC is right, you could get better/near the same performance for a couple grand less... 

Yeah, you should probably actually read what I wrote.  Instead of just looking at the prices on the picture.

I did, and I still stand behind what I said. 

480GTX

ASUS Rampage III Extreme

12 GB Ram

~750 watt power supply

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air

Kirin_gaming said:
DrDoomz said:

What are the best manufacterers for the 980gtx? Are all 980's SLI-enabled? Checking amazon and I only see evga as the only one that specifies SLI. :)

Many things to say here:

1-It is true that there are games that at 4K need more than 4GB of graphics RAM, HardOCP has a preview of the new Titan and provides RAM usage backing this claim. However they only reach those really high figures when using Anti Aliasing at its highest settings, and it's generally accepted that in 4K AA can be turned off or left at the lowest x2 settings.

2-With the new Maxwell cards (9x0 and TitanX), Nvidia introduced a new compression algorithm that lowers RAM usage. So not only do the 980 have more RAM than your 780Ti, but is also more efficient on its use.

3-At the end of the day, the 4GB of the 980 is not what dictates its performance at 4K. Simply put, at 4K the card is running at the max of what it can do, so the extra RAM won't improve its performance.

4-Adding more cards is not always the best solution. Neither SLI nor Xfire scaling is perfect, as you know, so by adding a second card you won't see an improvement of 100% in your performance but rather something betwen 80-90%, and that's when everything works great. When adding a third card the improvement will be even lower, gaining maybe another 70-75%.

In this case, a pair of TitanX will be more useful than three or four 980s.

5-DDR4 is not better than DDR3 when gaming. While DDR4 is faster, starting at 2133MHz all the way to 3000MHz, the latency is also higher and that hinders its performance. Example: The 2133MHz set of DDR4 have a latency (or CL) of 14 or 15 while a 2133MHz set of DDR3 will have a CL of 9. If we go for a faster set of RAM at 2400MHz, the DDR4 set will still have a CL15 while the DDR3 set will be at CL12. In those cases, DDR3 will be better as it has lower latency.

6-And an i7-4790X with its 4+4 cores is plenty fast for gaming today and in the next 5 years, and has enough PCI lanes to handle 2 and 3 way SLI/XFire.

There is no need to go with Intel's most expensive CPUs and motherboards.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Kirin_gaming said:
DrDoomz said:

Many things to say here:

1-It is true that there are games that at 4K need more than 4GB of graphics RAM, HardOCP has a preview of the new Titan and provides RAM usage backing this claim. However they only reach those really high figures when using Anti Aliasing at its highest settings, and it's generally accepted that in 4K AA can be turned off or left at the lowest x2 settings.

2-With the new Maxwell cards (9x0 and TitanX), Nvidia introduced a new compression algorithm that lowers RAM usage. So not only do the 980 have more RAM than your 780Ti, but is also more efficient on its use.

3-At the end of the day, the 4GB of the 980 is not what dictates its performance at 4K. Simply put, at 4K the card is running at the max of what it can do, so the extra RAM won't improve its performance.

4-Adding more cards is not always the best solution. Neither SLI nor Xfire scaling is perfect, as you know, so by adding a second card you won't see an improvement of 100% in your performance but rather something betwen 80-90%, and that's when everything works great. When adding a third card the improvement will be even lower, gaining maybe another 70-75%.

In this case, a pair of TitanX will be more useful than three or four 980s.

5-DDR4 is not better than DDR3 when gaming. While DDR4 is faster, starting at 2133MHz all the way to 3000MHz, the latency is also higher and that hinders its performance. Example: The 2133MHz set of DDR4 have a latency (or CL) of 14 or 15 while a 2133MHz set of DDR3 will have a CL of 9. If we go for a faster set of RAM at 2400MHz, the DDR4 set will still have a CL15 while the DDR3 set will be at CL12. In those cases, DDR3 will be better as it has lower latency.

6-And an i7-4790X with its 4+4 cores is plenty fast for gaming today and in the next 5 years, and has enough PCI lanes to handle 2 and 3 way SLI/XFire.

There is no need to go with Intel's most expensive CPUs and motherboards.

Wow. Awesome reply. Thanks! The CPU/RAM comments were eye openers and just might save me some solid bucks (was planning on going with a 5960X and DDR4s) but if that's the case, I might just go the 4790. 

But I can't find titans anywhere in Amazon. At least nothing for less than 3.5k usd. Which makes it seem more efficient to just buy multiple 980s and SLI them. Heck, I'd have room in the budget to dedicate a 3rd 980 as a full Phys X card if I need to. You know where I can get a a TitanX?

You got any recommendations on the best manufacturer for 980s? EVGA, Gigabyte or MSI?

DrDoomz said:
JEMC said:

**too long to quote it again**

Wow. Awesome reply. Thanks! The CPU/RAM comments were eye openers and just might save me some solid bucks (was planning on going with a 5960X and DDR4s) but if that's the case, I might just go the 4790. 

But I can't find titans anywhere in Amazon. At least nothing for less than 3.5k usd. Which makes it seem more efficient to just buy multiple 980s and SLI them. Heck, I'd have room in the budget to dedicate a 3rd 980 as a full Phys X card if I need to. You know where I can get a a TitanX?

You got any recommendations on the best manufacturer for 980s? EVGA, Gigabyte or MSI?

Currently, neither you nor anyone else can buy TitanX from no other vendor other than Nvidia themselves.

You won' t  find Titan X from other vendors until a few days or weeks, and when they are released you'll see that they are all the same. Nvidia has forced all their partners to use the reference PCB and cooler, although that won't mean that some decide to include their own cooler with the box so you can change it by yourself.

But if you are not in a hurry, it could be worth waiting until June when AMD launches its new cards, specially the 390X which is rumored to have the same or a bit more power than the Titan X.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.