By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are there no multiplayer modes for turn base RPGs?

Mystro-Sama said:

Seriously, Pokemon is the only one I can think of. Why is this so though? Is it the traditionalist mentality of most developers?

O_o ?

What would be the point?

Multiplayer modes barely make sense for rpgs like baldurs gate (admittedly this can be fun to do, though).

But in a turn based game? I love turn based games, but I think they work best as single player experiances (which there is nothing wrong with).

Something like the new FFXV thats very action/hack n slash ish, could probably work in multiplayer though, if they designed multiplayer for a game like that.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I remember getting into discussions about who would kick whose ass in Final Fantasy Tactics.

A game like that could work.

Why are there multiplayer modes in any game?

Hearthstone is there for you. Basically it's the same thing except 3d characters.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
fluky-nintendy said:

Hearthstone is there for you. Basically it's the same thing except 3d characters.

I'm not sure a card game is the same thing as a turn based rpg....... it's not an rpg for a start.

Hearthstone plays very differently to a theoretical multiplayer final fantasy or persona.

Around the Network

Because it's cheap to make and easy to implement, but they don't care about $/minute obsessed gamers. :)

.- -... -.-. -..

Strictly turn base I'm not sure if MP could work very well. How would one go about implementing MP in a game where one player controls the direction of the party through towns and the overworld? I guess they could try having 2 different parties acting at the same time or something. No developer probably hasn't figured out how to do MP in a turn based RPG, and likely isn't necessary. Other RPGs like tactics and whatever Tales is does, and it works out. Tales is pretty fun to play with friends.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

It doesn't sound like it fits in turn-based Rpgs. Basically, the one with the highest level will probably win. The multiplayer in Action-based RPGs like the Souls series works very well, as it depends heavily on the player instant reactions and defensive style.

VXIII said:

as it depends heavily on the player instant reactions and defensive style.

I wouldn't say that's the only heavily dependant thing xD

Wright said:

VXIII said:

as it depends heavily on the player instant reactions and defensive style.

I wouldn't say that's the only heavily dependant thing xD

As long as it is reasonably balanced, of course. I slaughtered a lot of those invaders by dual welding of great swords, In addition to Dark buff. No amount of strategy or good reactions will ever work when the balance is completely broken.

In Turn-based, the level seems to be the only factor that matters.