By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Do You Define "Indie"?

Can AAA Studios Create "Indie" Games?

Yes 24 34.29%

No 46 65.71%

Total:70

An indie game is basically a studio that both develop, owns and publish the game, therefore it's completely independant... it has nothing to do with budget, Star Citizen is an indie game, it will cost tens of millions of dollars to create! and well, you have small budget titles that are made by 1 man/woman/child over a week-end that fit the same category.

and to blur the lines even more, how would you categorise some smaller titles from the big publishers / studios, like the recent 2D Raymans, many of Nintendo's semi 2D mario games or even their latest Donkey Kong entry?... This is not to disparage them, but rather to show how the label "indie" has been used out of context and many do not understant what this actually is.

I would also add that being against "indies" is being against developpers empowering themselves and running their own business, instead of answering to "the man" and getting "9 to 5" jobs working for others instead of themselves.

Around the Network
alabtrosMyster said:

An indie game is basically a studio that both develop, owns and publish the game, therefore it's completely independant... it has nothing to do with budget, Star Citizen is an indie game, it will cost tens of millions of dollars to create! and well, you have small budget titles that are made by 1 man/woman/child over a week-end that fit the same category.

and to blur the lines even more, how would you categorise some smaller titles from the big publishers / studios, like the recent 2D Raymans, many of Nintendo's semi 2D mario games or even their latest Donkey Kong entry?... This is not to disparage them, but rather to show how the label "indie" has been used out of context and many do not understant what this actually is.

I would also add that being against "indies" is being against developpers empowering themselves and running their own business, instead of answering to "the man" and getting "9 to 5" jobs working for others instead of themselves.

I completely agree with you. It's time for people to wake up and see what indie really means. A lot of people are missing out on so many great games,just because they have this misunderstanding regarding indies.

If its not released physical

Independent Studio

Journey is an Indie.
Child of Light isn't an Indie.

The PS5 Exists. 

Ruler said:

So, Resogun is an indie game?

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Independent Studio

Really, this is the best answer so far. I don't know why we always end up twisting things and adding unnecesary criteria. An indie game is a videogame made by an independent studio.

Wright said:
Ruler said:

So, Resogun is an indie game?

Yes it is, its something we would called an xbox live arcade game

Wright said:

Really, this is the best answer so far. I don't know why we always end up twisting things and adding unnecesary criteria. An indie game is a videogame made by an independent studio.

Yeah, it's baffling people still don't understand. I think the confusion occurs when an Independant Studio decides to support just one console. Exclusivity has nothing to do with it.

The PS5 Exists. 

Ruler said:

Yes it is, its something we would called an xbox live arcade game

If it is Xbox Live Arcade game, then it's not indie. 360 had a different store for indie games than for arcade ones, so MS made a distinction between those two for some reason :P

Indie - 65% shovelware, 30% - decent/good games, 5% - The Gems we've been looking for.