By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Computer PROBLEM!!!!!!

ok here is the run down....last thursday i experimented with my computer i removed the heatsink and the CPU fan and i then removed the chip...ok look the chip is cool...ok then i put the chip back in and i put the heatsink on and then the fan....my cousin turned the computer on as i was putting the fan on and my finger got caught in the CPU fan and 3 wings fell off....so my CPU fan is broke...but it still runs....so i turned on the computer and all i got was a black screen that said "can not obtain CPU bios and detecting IDE connection" i turned the computer on and off on and off a couple of times...until eventually i got no power to the mouse and keyboard and even my montior..my fans still come on but at high speeds the hard drive comes on but the hard drive light doesnt blink..its not even letting me know that its reading information it just stays orange....i have a HP Pavilion a620n....here is the link to check what the specs are: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00189255&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=424215&lang=en.... i need help is my computer dead or can i still fix it???

Around the Network

hmmm... When experimenting with a computer, I'd said experiment with peripherals first. You went straight to the core of the computer, and could have possibly damaged it beyond repair. Something to check: Did you reseat the CPU (processor chip) correctly? My friend's CPU wouldn't boot properly, and when I removed his CPU, there was a bent pin, so we had to get it replaced. Also, with a broken CPU fan, it isn't wise to turn on the computer. The heat it generates could potentially damage the processor chip. Did you remove any connections (hard drive, floppy drive, CD/DVD drive) and not put them back? This is the only thing I could think from the "detecting IDE connection" message. NEVER HAVE YOUR COMPUTER PLUGGED INTO A SOCKET WHEN YOU ARE WORKING ON IT. You should only plug it in when you are ready to power it on, and always unplug it when you are doing work on it. Suggestion: Unhook everything, and make sure you have only the CPU, heatsink, CPU fan, and memory installed on the motherboard. Have your keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up. Turn on the computer. You should be able to get to the BIOS without anything else installed. If your computer can't get that far, you damaged something.

Dolla Dolla said:
hmmm... When experimenting with a computer, I'd said experiment with peripherals first. You went straight to the core of the computer, and could have possibly damaged it beyond repair. Something to check: Did you reseat the CPU (processor chip) correctly? My friend's CPU wouldn't boot properly, and when I removed his CPU, there was a bent pin, so we had to get it replaced. Also, with a broken CPU fan, it isn't wise to turn on the computer. The heat it generates could potentially damage the processor chip. Did you remove any connections (hard drive, floppy drive, CD/DVD drive) and not put them back? This is the only thing I could think from the "detecting IDE connection" message. NEVER HAVE YOUR COMPUTER PLUGGED INTO A SOCKET WHEN YOU ARE WORKING ON IT. You should only plug it in when you are ready to power it on, and always unplug it when you are doing work on it. Suggestion: Unhook everything, and make sure you have only the CPU, heatsink, CPU fan, and memory installed on the motherboard. Have your keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up. Turn on the computer. You should be able to get to the BIOS without anything else installed. If your computer can't get that far, you damaged something.

i know i should had not touched the core of the computer....but the chip is good though....when i took it out i looked at it and then i put the chip right back into place and it just sat right in...it just that my keyboard and mouse and montior isnt getting any more...when i turn the pc on...i see that the caps lock, number lock and scroll lock light blinks and goes off and i press the caps lock and it does nothing....im confused!!! i just know that when i was putting the fan on i put my finger in the CPU fan and the CPU fan stopped...does that mean that the voltages from me stopping the CPU fan damaged something on the motherboard???

Suggestion: Unhook everything, and make sure you have only the CPU, heatsink, CPU fan, and memory installed on the motherboard. Have your keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up. Turn on the computer. You should be able to get to the BIOS without anything else installed. If your computer can't get that far, you damaged something.

Did you try this? Only having the core things installed and turned the computer on?

If you can't get to the BIOS, then you damaged something. Could be the motherboard, could be the CPU. If the fan is broken or not keeping the temperature of your processor down, the motherboard might have a fail-safe switch so that your CPU doesn't overheat and melt.

Dolla Dolla said:
Suggestion: Unhook everything, and make sure you have only the CPU, heatsink, CPU fan, and memory installed on the motherboard. Have your keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up. Turn on the computer. You should be able to get to the BIOS without anything else installed. If your computer can't get that far, you damaged something.

Did you try this? Only having the core things installed and turned the computer on?

If you can't get to the BIOS, then you damaged something. Could be the motherboard, could be the CPU. If the fan is broken or not keeping the temperature of your processor down, the motherboard might have a fail-safe switch so that your CPU doesn't overheat and melt.

sure im gonna try that now...i hope it works...so i dont need the hard drive to be plugged in??

Around the Network
sure im gonna try that now...i hope it works...so i dont need the hard drive to be plugged in??

Nope. The BIOS is on the motherboard. You should be able to get to the BIOS by pressing F2 or ESC or F10 or whatever during boot up. If you don't, it'll look for the hard drive and just stall.

Dolla Dolla said:

Nope. The BIOS is on the motherboard. You should be able to get to the BIOS by pressing F2 or ESC or F10 or whatever during boot up. If you don't, it'll look for the hard drive and just stall.

i tried it and nothing happened i believe my motherboard is dead......

not your motherboard, your cpu is probably dead. You cannot run it without an adequate fan. Also, there is a special type of liquid that goes between the heatsink and the cpu, without this it will also burn up. You should NEVER seperate the two once it has been originally installed. If you don't have the right test equipment I would take it to a local store that should be charging no more than $35/hour to test the motherboard and cpu. It should take less than an hour to test.

When you say nothing is happening, do you mean it doesn't power on? Or that it powers on but nothing happens after that? Be more specific. And superchunk may be right. With a messed up CPU fan, it's likely you might've damaged the CPU. If you absolutely are trying to salvage any parts from this machine (CPU, motherboard, RAM), have someone test it for you.

sounds like ur overheating the CPU. Basically, as Superchunk said, u separated the heatsink and the processor, which is bad if u dont re-apply the thermal compound, which u didnt. This will increase the temperature of ut processor significantly, and with the broken fan its going to be going 2 criticaly levels, fast. To put it into perspective for u, a processor without a heatsink/fan on it will break within 10 seconds, no joke. U did have a fan on there, but u broke it and put it back on without reapplying the thermal paste. My recommendation is to take it 2 a computer shop and ask them to look at it. Do not, under any circumstance, turn on ur pc again, keep the power plug away and elave it to a proffesional. :P