By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Lags more: Xbox Live or PSN?

Xbox Live- when i had my 360 i really used to get pissed when that message showed up on gears of war saying that there was a connection issue. halo  i saw teh occasional lag, but in call of duty it was a different story. i used to get signed out every single time i logged in and i never used to be bale to join partys.  I think tehy fixed this now but it was getting a little bit ridiculous. When i used to play fifa 08 online, it used to lag like hell at times. maybe cause im facing peopel from france england or w/e

PSN: So far PSN hasnt lagged as much as live. Call of Duty if ok, but that little gay message saying connection interupted pops up sometimes.Motorstorm online doesnt lag and resistance doesnt lag either.

from my expiriences on both xbox live and psn, i say i have a better expirience on psn performance wise. people, specially xbox 360 owners say psn lags a damn lot because its free. ps3 uses dedicated servers doesnt it?

some adive. dont go on youtube or msn when your playing online. lags it up like hell.

which one lags more, or is there even a difference? tell me from your past expiriences. 

Around the Network

so far ive had no complaints on psn...but i dont go on it very much

and around christmas time there was that horrible...whatever it was with xbox live....so..yeah

Well, we all know XBL has been having issues because of too many people. But I think it really depends on your internet connection, and whoever hosted the game.

But you're correct, PSN uses dedicated servers, and in theory should lag less.

It all depends who's in the game you are, and your internet really. For instance, my internet sucks, and can only play at midnight when my connection is best.

Dedicated servers really depend on the game for PSN. Most games use them, particularly 1st and 2nd party software, but some 3rd party games don't. CoD4 is P2P on both the PSN and XBL.

^ sp ps3 does use dedicated servers.

i have to research this, but i heard that xbox live, well gears of war more specifically, connects to other peoples 360's and their connection. sounds gay i dont really beleive it, but is it true?

Around the Network

It all depends on the speed of your broadband. You pay a lot of money to purchase the PS3 so thank god its free. So is Sony's free online as good as the free PC online gaming experience?

CaptainPrefrences said:
^ sp ps3 does use dedicated servers.

i have to research this, but i heard that xbox live, well gears of war more specifically, connects to other peoples 360's and their connection. sounds gay i dont really beleive it, but is it true?

Most 360 games are P2P.  The only 360 games that use dedicated servers (that I know of) are MMOs like FFXI and EA Sports titles.

With the PSN, it's the opposite.  Most titles use dedicated servers (Warhawk, Resistance, MotorStorm, UT3, etc.) and very few are P2P (CoD4). 

I'm not sure why, and I guess it's just the way XBL is designed.  I assume it's just easier for developers to design the online around the consoles without much of an external system. 

^i would say pc. starcraft online is the best mmo game ive ever played in my life.

Rock_on_2008 said:
It all depends on the speed of your broadband. You pay a lot of money to purchase the PS3 so thank god its free. So is Sony's free online as good as the free PC online gaming experience?

Nothing touches PC online.  With Home and in-game XMB later this year, the PSN should be roughly equal to XBL (better in some ways, worse in others) and still free, but it won't touch Steam, Xfire, mods, etc.

I've never had any trouble with xbox live. Only once did I experience lag on PSN.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music