By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - 2015 MLS Thread: Major League Soccer enters 20th season

BraveNewWorld said:

My first ever MLS game ends in a 1-1 tie. It was frustrating to watch; I'll wait a couple of weeks before ultimately deciding if soccer interests me. Can MLS set its own rules, or does it have to comply with FIFA's rules?

Draws are part of the sport and have different emotions depending on expectations and situations.  In this match NYCFC essentially threw away 2 points while Orlando stole a point.

MLS can and did in early years, but people didn't like them so around 1999-2000 era went to traditional rules used globally.  Honestly, a few weeks is big ask of any sport to interest you or not. I would encourage you to see a match live as it is a different experience than television. Although admittedly I have no idea what NYC's atmosphere will be like.

Around the Network

In the late match Seattle easily beat New England 3-0 with in the best goal of the week seeing great build up play and best passing and off the ball movement of the weekend. Martins and Dempsey clicking will give backlines fits.

Tally Who? Deric is a better player at half the salary. Houston got out of that deal very nicely.

A bit of luck to end with a clean sheet, but that's what happens.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Upcoming matches

Friday 13 March

Orlando at Houston, 7:00

Saturday 14 March

Vancouver at Chicago, 6:00
Toronto at Columbus, 7:30
Kansas City at Dallas, 8:30
Philadelphia at Salt Lake, 9:30
San Jose at Seattle, 10:00

Sunday 15 March

New England at New York City, 5:00
Los Angeles at Portland, 7:00

Off this week: DC United, Montreal, Colorado, and New York

Be curious to see New York City opener, stadium is not ideal be primarily used for baseball while they work out their own place to play. Still, an estimated 30K will be on hand so hopefully add to the occasion.

Also curious how Toronto manages through this early road stretch while their own stadium is being expanded. If they can be in the mix once that is done this could finally be their break out season.

Around the Network

The new SAP feature on Univision means I get to watch orlando v houston in English! 6pts here we come!

Thought do a bit on "Rvialry Cups" in the league.

Atlantic Cup - D.C. United v. New York
Brimstone Cup - FC Dallas v. Chicago Fire
California Clásico -  Los Angeles v. San Jose
Cascadia Cup - Vancouver v. Portland v. Seattle
Heritage Cup - Seattle v. San Jose
Pioneer Cup - FC Dallas v. Columbus
Rocky Mountain Cup - Salt Lake v. Colorado
Texas Derby - Houston v. FC Dallas
Trillium Cup - Columbus v. Toronto FC
401 Derby - Toronto FC v. Montreal Impact

Rivalry Cups have generally had two dynamics, inspired by supporters or inspired by clubs. Some are born of moments, others simmer and fester over time.

I honestly am not bother about the cup itself (in my club's case, the Atlantic Cup) it is more beating your rival and shutting their supporters up.

Curious if others that follow the league think of their rivalry cup (if they have one)

Lots of sadness from a GK own goal after he played so well.

outlawauron said:
Lots of sadness from a GK own goal after he played so well.

Yeah, had an amazing save on that Kaka free kick, but bit of bad luck and lost the match.