By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No GLNext - Vulkan is here to solve OpenGL's issues

Tachikoma said:
walsufnir said:

It most probably won't . They already have their own API and a self-made driver for PS4.

I vaugly recall a graph a week or so ago.. hmm  ;)

I know which graph you mean but seriously, I would be completely surprised if Vulkan would give any boost to PS4. This wouldn't be a good sign for gnm and its current state and would render the work of ICE team in a bad way but I guess that's when you don't know the details about what's going on. Still there was a decent bump in that graph which would mean that currently something is wrong in gnm, be it scheduling tasks to the gpus, be it not enough "close to the metal" or other things. It would also mean that PS4's boost with Vulkan would be higher than DX12 on Xbone which doesn't fit what was said before, that PS4's API is thinner than Xbone's.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Tachikoma said:

I vaugly recall a graph a week or so ago.. hmm  ;)

I know which graph you mean but seriously, I would be completely surprised if Vulkan would give any boost to PS4. This wouldn't be a good sign for gnm and its current state and would render the work of ICE team in a bad way but I guess that's when you don't know the details about what's going on. Still there was a decent bump in that graph which would mean that currently something is wrong in gnm, be it scheduling tasks to the gpus, be it not enough "close to the metal" or other things. It would also mean that PS4's boost with Vulkan would be higher than DX12 on Xbone which doesn't fit what was said before, that PS4's API is thinner than Xbone's.

the bump wouldnt be from ogln/vul, not alone anyway, just "compatible", the cause of the bump is yet to be revealed, you can be sure when it's officially revealed i'll be covering it in detail (when i'm allowed)

late 2015 to mid 2016 is going to be interesting.

Tachikoma said:
walsufnir said:

the bump wouldnt be from ogln/vul, not alone anyway, just "compatible", the cause of the bump is yet to be revealed, you can be sure when it's officially revealed i'll be covering it in detail (when i'm allowed)

late 2015 to mid 2016 is going to be interesting.

Ok, then I will patiently wait :) I can think of an abstraction layer so that devs writing their stuff in vulkan can port their code easily to PS4, though. But that's hardly meaning there will be vulkan for PS4 :)