By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA V Exclusively On Wii U? (Hypothetically)

GTA V exclusive to Wii U - How would it have affected your console purchase?

Xbox One owner - Would have purhcased Wii U 10 4.48%

Playstation 4 owner - Wou... 22 9.87%

Wii U owner - Heading to eShop as we speak 101 45.29%

Xbox 360 owner - Now plan... 4 1.79%

Playstation 3 owner - Now... 7 3.14%

Wii owner - Now planning to purchase Wii U 12 5.38%

Non Wii U owner - Not pla... 61 27.35%

PC Owner - Now planning to purchase Wii U 6 2.69%

Total:223
EricFabian said:
Kerotan said:

Did they go exclusively?  Oh wait 

No, but what's point? Monster Hunter was Sony exclusive, then Nintendo took it. It died? Nope. Megaman was Nintendo exclusive, then Sony took it. It died? Yes lol but only because of Capcom, not Sony. And we have many others.

So again: why would be suicide?

The point is its sold 50 million on non nintendo consoles and with sales still really strong and pc release on the way that number might end up well over 60 million. 

Unless nintendo paid 2 billion for exclusivity it wouldn't make financial sense and the thing would only sell like 10 million. 

The reason I say it would be suicide is nintendo wouldn't be paying another 2 billion for gta 6 meaning that wouldnt do nearly as well as it will now coming off monster sales. 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
EricFabian said:

No, but what's point? Monster Hunter was Sony exclusive, then Nintendo took it. It died? Nope. Megaman was Nintendo exclusive, then Sony took it. It died? Yes lol but only because of Capcom, not Sony. And we have many others.

The point is its sold 50 million on non nintendo consoles and with sales still really strong and pc release on the way that number might end up well over 60 million. 

Unless nintendo paid 2 billion for exclusivity it wouldn't make financial sense and the thing would only sell like 10 million. 

The reason I say it would be suicide is nintendo wouldn't be paying another 2 billion for gta 6 meaning that wouldnt do nearly as well as it will now coming off monster sales. 

Was about to say the same thing, the price to Nintendo would have to at least equal (likely greater to compensate for damage to the brand from pissing off so many fans) the lost revenue from being on other platforms. Now if Nintendo had just wanted GTA V on the Wii U (not exclusive) then that bill to Rockstar would be an order of magnitude smaller, and it would have helped send a signal that Nintendo were serious about third party games on the Wii U, especially as graphically is should have been the superior version. Maybe get exclusivity on an expansion or DLC to go with it. But that wasn't the question. 

OT, it really could have been pretty huge, easily several million more plus demonstrate to other third party dev's that Nintendo were serious which would have led to more third party games and more importantly the gamers that actually buy third party games being on the Wii U and not all sitting with PS4's/XB1's. But even with the money, Nintendo are too risk adverse to make a play like that. 

not even in a hypothetical situation can GTA ever be exclusive to nintendo.

The question I find more interesting is how much nintendo would have to pay to have gotten gta v as an exclusive?

Wii U would end up selling 40m+ if that were to happen.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Wii U would end up selling 40m+ if that were to happen.

agreed

bananaking21 said:
not even in a hypothetical situation can GTA ever be exclusive to nintendo.

harsh but sorta of true

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

EricFabian said:
Kerotan said:

Did they go exclusively?  Oh wait 

Because GTA is not even close to comparable to those two games. MH sells in Japan and the handheld audience there will buy it on whatever platform. Megaman is hardly big ...

Lots of YouTubers like VanossGaming would have bought a Wii U, and that would increase it's popularity.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

The game wouldn't of sold 16m and the console wouldn't be above 20m now but it could still be ahead of XB1 and the game could be the best selling on the platform besides MK8 (which would have higher sales due to more consoles sold)

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!