By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best WiiU Virtual Console Games. Ones that hold up TODAY

So I'm looking through Virtual Console games to stock up on for the post Batman Summer drought already, and I run across a slew of Mega Man games, DKC, some Kirby, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania games, and Super Metroid.

The only one of those where I played the games in the series this old is DKC and from what I remember it should hold up pretty darn well.  Any suggestions on the others?  I mean I wanna try out Mega Man but I'm not sure what's best for a guy that grew up with PS1 and N64.  I've heard 2 and 3 are great as well as the first X?  Metroid Prime Trilogy I'll probably get along with Super Metroid, but are Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania just gonna make me wanna pull my hair out even with save points?  Which Kirby is the most like the N64 one (since that's my favorite in the series)?  But most importantly just what games have aged the most gracefully out of these franchises offerings?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

You grew up with a PS1 and a N64 so I don't see why you can't play Mega Man games. They are not hard at all. Also you can use save states in those games.

I say you get Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Metroid, Castlevania and Mega Man X. If you feel they are too difficult... just use those save states!

Oh and get DKC.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when I talk about Castlevania I mean the metroidvania games. The NES games are a bit too hard/aged terribly.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:

You grew up with a PS1 and a N64 so I don't see why you can't play Mega Man games. They are not hard at all. Also you can use save states in those games.

I say you get Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Metroid, Castlevania and Mega Man X. If you feel they are too difficult... just use those save states!

Oh and get DKC.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when I talk about Castlevania I mean the metroidvania games. The NES games are a bit too hard/aged terribly.

yeah the only really old one that I was considering was super castlevania 4

also I can hold my own with 2d platformers I've beaten super ghouls n' ghosts and the original Rayman.  Just gotta have a sense of progress where I don't get thrown back 500 screens for making 1 mistake.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

The DKC games have aged pretty well; I only played the second and third installments for the first time in 2007 and 2008 respectively and I consider them to be among the best games I've ever played...
I should, however, let you know that they will look much better on the tablet than they will on your TV screen...
Super Metroid and the Prime Trilogy are musts as well (you don't need to play then first one; many feel that it hasn't aged well at all)...
The Prime games might look a bit dated, but they have fantastic worlds, bosses, and soundtracks...
The data scans you'll find also add an unbelievable level of depth...
I would also suggest EarthBound if you haven't played it...

Have a nice day...

Axelay is still great.

Around the Network

Super Metroid, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and DKC are my top picks.