By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Forget sales, would you like Wii U as much without the Gamepad?

Tagged games:

?

I'd like it more without it 70 21.41%

I'd like it the same 94 28.75%

I wouldn't like it as much 163 49.85%

Total:327

No. I'm probably in the minority here, but the Gamepad has been an amazing device for me. I love offscreen gameplay(I share a TV)
I love drawing on the gamepad and submitting my art
I love the idea of having all your inventory in a touch screen
I like the feel of the Gamepad
I like that I can be on my computer, yet still play my games/draw while being away from the TV.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
daredevil.shark said:

And? Apart from these handful games no games use it. Even mariokart 8 ignores it (if you forget the horn). If top tier games dont use it then it looses its purpose. Plus we need some "meaningful usage" like wii mote, not just afterthought usage which can easily be done from wii u pro controller.

Edit: The thing is you need games that are build around the gamepad. We havent seen that. Thats why people have raised voice.

See, there's a difference between "no games" and "a handful". I don't disagree that it is under-utilized, but it's an exaggeration to say there aren't any games that utilize it.

It was said from a general point of view. Everyone (at least in the gaming forums) knows that gamepad has games that utilizes it. My point of view was from "average gamers" point of view. If I ask an average gamer they might not know it and some might think wii u gamepad is an add on (from their point of view). And Nintendo is a company that is known for making "great" usage of peripherals. But they also have given up to use the gamepad.

daredevil.shark said:
curl-6 said:

See, there's a difference between "no games" and "a handful". I don't disagree that it is under-utilized, but it's an exaggeration to say there aren't any games that utilize it.

It was said from a general point of view. Everyone (at least in the gaming forums) knows that gamepad has games that utilizes it. My point of view was from "average gamers" point of view. If I ask an average gamer they might not know it and some might think wii u gamepad is an add on (from their point of view). And Nintendo is a company that is known for making "great" usage of peripherals. But they also have given up to use the gamepad.

The average consumer doesn't know much about the Wii U full stop. I still run into people who think it's a Wii peripheral. 

daredevil.shark said:
curl-6 said:

I'd say wait for Starfox.  I think the best uses will come near the end of the gen.  You know how long Nintendo takes to make games. However that said ZombiU was a launch title and I still think it made the best use of the pad if for no other reason than using the pad to look in your pack added to the tension in the game for me.  Being able to hear stuff around you but not being able to see what was going on until you were done fooling with your pack was great.

curl-6 said:

I still run into people who think it's a Wii peripheral. 

Around the Network

Personally it would be less of a system for me without it. I watch almost all of my TV through the Wii U and the second screen having the extra info on it for netflix and hulu+ is a bonus. Also surfing and searching are not a chore like on last gen systems.

daredevil.shark said:
curl-6 said:

I still run into people who think it's a Wii peripheral. 

The_Yoda said:

I'd say wait for Starfox.  I think the best uses will come near the end of the gen.  You know how long Nintendo takes to make games. However that said ZombiU was a launch title and I still think it made the best use of the pad if for no other reason than using the pad to look in your pack added to the tension in the game for me.  Being able to hear stuff around you but not being able to see what was going on until you were done fooling with your pack was great.

1. Unless you are an "insider" please dont make such comments.

2. Wii U has passed its peak. This wont help Wii U even if it brings back gamepad usage in a meaningful way.

3. Check the link. Starfox Wii U wont use gamepad as primary controller. But you can still use it though.

Star Fox For Wii U Apparently Won’t Require Motion Based Controls

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/02/18/star-fox-for-wii-u-apparently-wont-require-motion-based-controls/

curl-6 said:

Off topic. Do you see cricket world cup? Australia is getting owned by your neighbor Zew Zeland.

daredevil.shark said:

Off topic. Do you see cricket world cup? Australia is getting owned by your neighbor Zew Zeland.

You may have difficulty finding someone who cares less about sports than me. ;)