By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If you designed the PS4, what would you have done?

i would have suggest 2 GHZ on the CPU part and use the 24 cu GPU so that they will cut the CU to 22 and have 2.2 tf rather then 20 with only 1.8 tf. Use SATA 3 instead SATA 2. and suggesting 384 bit memory bandwidth rather then 256 bit.

Around the Network
Turkish said:

Sorry to say but your ideas really are not good, for the simple reason that your imagined PS4 is expensive. You also come up with complicated plans as well.

1st off: You just assume the Cell cpu has become twice as cheap, it probably hasn't considering the PS3 didn't get much price cut since 2009. The basic version should cost less than 150 euro by now but it's still above 200 euros.  And then again, $20 added BoM cost that's eating away from their profit is too much to please an awfully small group of people on the internet begging for BC. BC really isn't the reason people buy new consoles, and they knew they had PS Now coming. Any effort to BC is just wasted.

2nd: glad you didn't design the PS4 because you just continue to make the console more expensive.One thing I agree is that they should've clocked the cpu higher, the gpu is good as it is but it seems to be bottlenecked by the cpu.

3rd: here comes the confusing part. Who the hel in their mind would allow multiplayer in a free subscription when 95% of the people who signed up for PS+ did for multiplayer? Your plan just make it overly complicated and try to persuade people to sign up with far lesser reasons. The vast majority doesnt care about the ads or 10GB cloud storage or having unlimited friends or having 12 accounts. WTF? They care about their multiplayer. PS+ would not have 1/10th the subs it does today. What you just proposed was a really terrible idea and really one of a gamer on a forum mind rather than someone who is running a business.

4th: again, they didnt need to waste 10s of millions of dollars for a better exclusive support. 20M bought the console without the support anyway. You just put all of Sony studios effort in the 1st and 2nd years, congrats, in this age where big AAA games take +3-4 years to make, you have nothing left for 2016 and onwards. On top of that, you assume you have money left and spent that money to get 3rd party games exclusive in a period when 3rd parties where predicting the xbone to win. Back when Titanfall was being conceived EA was betting on Xbox. FFXV went multiplat for a reason, they didnt believe in the PS4, getting those titles exclusive if they were conceived today would've been far more cheaper. SFV is a recent project, Capcom saw PS4s sales,  calculated they didnt need a second console for the game to reach its audience and accepted Sony's offer.

I agree with you about GT6 however, it has been worked on since GT5s release in 2010, had they continued to work on it for 2 more years and made it PS4 exclusive, it'd come out this holiday.

Wit the 1st and 2nd points Sony might've still greenlit your idea, with the 3rd and 4th points they would fire you in a week.

1. The Cell processor probably costs almost nothing to manufacturer now. If it was $37 in 2009, it's probably not even half that today. The reason the PS3 still costs so much is profit. 

And as I said, if the Cell processor is too expensive then the add-on module would work. Kind of like the power base converter. That would actually have been my more realistic choice for BC.

2. It wouldn't have cost much more to manufacturer.

3. PS+ was optional on the PS3 and still did great. People would get PS+ to get many of those features, plus a far better online multiplayer. The connections for PSN regular users would be weak - think of it like PS2 dial-up online play vs. broadband online play.

4. The PS4 is selling great but could sell even better. The Xbox is making a comeback now. You're thinking short term. If the PS4 wants to be the next PS2 it's gonna need heavy hitters.

Plus you're taking this too seriously. Just have fun with it, pretend you're designing your own console. 

Just make it full backwards compatible to stop all these Remasters and add a Vita slot allowing the PS4 to play Vita games on the big screen rather than making the PSTV

1TB HD or more.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I would get rid of the wobble

Around the Network

I wouldn't change a thing about how it has been designed, the price they are able to sell it, their ability to keep improving it further still.

I think the most inspired / genius thing about the PS4 design is that they put a separate ARM processor with its own memory to handle all the OS functions, so the game developers don't have to clash / compete with system features when it comes to getting the most out of the main processor and memory available and intended for games.

Something I think is past due on getting added
- Media remote. Just something like lets my wife and self use features like DVD / Blu-Ray and Netflix etc without having to use PS4 controller.
- Ability to increase PS+ cloud storage, or at least manage the PS3 / PS-Vita library in cloud from PS4 (to make room for newer PS4 save file backups)

I think PS-Now is adequate form of BC. The PS3 system architecture and design isn't something they should have let cripple / hold-back the PS4 architecture. Consumers can continue to own their PS3 and if / not, then use PS-Now for older games, or simply wait until their favorites get ported to PS4 (most of the notable games are getting ported)

I would have used a powerful GPU instead of a super lame APU. Every mid-class PC graphics card is faster and provides much better details and effect quality in modern games.

AlfredoTurkey said:
ktay95 said:
PxlStorm said:
All I would have done is Backwards Compatibility via Emulation and free online. If this would be true I would have bought a PS4 by now.

Yeah but your 1 lost sale right now is better for Sony as Im sure it led to much more sales and money so far.
Think about it, BC bumps up the price to be even higher then the Kinect SKU XBO. So the XBO doesnt look as bad at the start and probably takes sales away from Sony.
Then having free online leads to a massive loss in revenue, MS proved a subscription service for online = $$$

Plus HDN V-II is on its way soon, we will see you then =P

The cell costs what... 20 bucks now? I don't think they'd have to raise the price at all.

Don't forget lost sales. The problem with BC is that people just end up playing old games instead of buying new ones.

I do like the idea of a hardware add-on though. And I agree with OP that a 70$ attachment would be a pretty reasonable price for it. Of course, might as well just buy a ps3 for BC because you get a wealth of other services to go along with it.

1TB HDD, 100% better CPU, 2.2TF GPU. I would charge $499 for it, selling it at a $20-40 profit and launch and cutting the price $50 by the end of the first. Also bundling first party games once they've made enough profit for the respective team. (Infamous, TLOU, Killzone)

Very few things. Remove the slant design. Put one USB on the back. Put standard Power/Eject buttons. Have the HDD tray easier to get to. Without the lining up issue and lots of drive cage. Option to just boot games directly. Without OS startup. All OS buttons are customizable so they can hide reduntant and not used things.