By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Former Sega CEO: Nintendo should keep making hardware and bring IPs to smartphones

As far as next gen, Nintendo main focus is on profits so expect "existing off shelf tech" to maximize their profit.  With the DS era (which preceded smartphones) coming to an end, Nintendo will most likely adopt the current mobile multi touch, single screen standard.  Demos will come to android, ios etc but only to shine  light on Ninty's HW.  The Big N-bowski will remain exclusive.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

He left Sega of America in 1996 because he had a disagreement with Sega's Japanese execs over the direction of the brand. He believed that Sega should have partnered with Sony, Sega Japan's execs didn't. He also disagreed with Sega Japan's decision to release Saturn early in the US when it had very few launch games ready and very few units manufactured. He was actually a pretty successful CEO, SOA's value increased from $72m to $1.5b during his years as CEO of SOA, and he was largely responsible for the success of Genesis in the US.

Then Bernie Stolar came in to diss the Saturn in the US, which further damaged Sega's console reputation though he actually helped make the Dreamcast initially a success there and then getting fired because of it.

Had the partnership been made, would we have a DreamStation nowadays? lol

I think there's a saying that once you go Mac, you can't go back.

I think the quote is true here as well. Once Nintendo puts a demo of their game on another system, the market will see it as a sign that Nintendo WILL put all their games in said platforms. And once the demo gets downloaded by an insane amount, investors will pressure Nintendo to make real games for other platforms.

Whether this will cut sales on Nintendo's own hardware is debatable though.

Advertising purposes and microgames, perhaps, but little more. They can't afford dilution of the value of mainline software.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

From a business standpoint, he does have a point. Ninten could make a demo/bite size game for people to play to get a bit of rev and maybe inch them to Ninten games and hardware. It's not something they should completely rule out.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
b00moscone said:
StarOcean said:
I do think some Nintendo IPs could go on iOS without killing them. NES/SNES games can go for $5 and under easily and make a ton of money from them. Beyond SNES could be a gray area, but theres no reason for them not to put at least NES games on the smartphone market

I think in order to make consumers buy them, Nintendo has to completely wipe emulators from smartphones, because if they can just get them from there, then they won't pay.

So why are Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Sonic and many other ports of classic games selling well on mobile? They could also be played with emulators.

Many would pay for Nintendo classics on mobile, even if emulators aren't "completely wiped out". Not everyone wants to install emulators or download illegal roms. Additionally Nintendo could "test the waters" on iOS, only a fraction of the iOS-users jailbrreak their devices to enable emulators.

Agreed!!!! By having an eShop App, millions of people around the world can browse and look at the IP's!!!!(and buy for consoles from phone)

Same for Miiverse!!!!

And put Pokemon Shuffle on phones too, no more on the actual games department. (unless Kid Icarus related.)

PwerlvlAmy said:
to be honest, i dont think Nintendo should be listening to anyone from SEGA

I would listen to him when Tom Kalinske is involved.

This guy and his team are the reason why Sega went from 5% marketshare and almost beat Nintendo with the Genesis. 

Pretty  much every fuckup Sega did in mid 90s, this guy foresaw and was against. Fucking sega of Japan wouldn't listen though...

Kalinske isn't entirely off base with that and to be fair I think Nintendo has actually considered this. In fact I think they've even said as much.

The reason why Nintendo can't do this I think is because mobile is already eating their lunch, so if they put Mario and Zelda on iOS, a lot of people will say "well I can just play Mario and Zelda and Pokemon on iOS, I don't need to buy a Nintendo portable period".

disolitude said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
to be honest, i dont think Nintendo should be listening to anyone from SEGA

I would listen to him when Tom Kalinske is involved.

This guy and his team are the reason why Sega went from 5% marketshare and almost beat Nintendo with the Genesis. 

Pretty  much every fuckup Sega did in mid 90s, this guy foresaw and was against. Fucking sega of Japan wouldn't listen though...

Yeah Kalinske was a very smart guy. Sega of Japan undermined him and were responsible for a lot of the poor decision making. His hands were tied. 

Much like Nintendo's Japanese division of today (I doubt Wii U is the console NOA wanted, similar to how Kalinske didn't like the Saturn).