By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sanity Check: PS4 still on its path to 100m+?

So what's your number?

<100m 77 25.50%

>100m 119 39.40%

>120m 40 13.25%

>140m 27 8.94%

Half-Life 3 comfirmed! 39 12.91%

Total:302
vivster said:
Shiken said:
Yes I do believe it will. The big guns have not even been unholstered yet.

I know the Big Guns haven't been shown yet but what's after that? Will the Gen even be long enough to get that high?

I think this is the real key; if the gen is truncated, the consoles will need crazy legs to hit 100M.

Also, I had to vote the last option because.

Around the Network

PS4 is still selling well despite having no Price drop. It almost outsold the ps2 in its first year

Well duh, obviously Half-Life 3 confirmed...

In all seriousness, I think yes. It sold almost 19m units so far even though it has only few exclusive AAA titles, so why not?

Mummelmann said:

The Game Boy Color is not the same as the Game Boy and is widely regarded as the successor; it even had a next generation chipset. The main CPU was twice as fast as the original Game Boy, it featured 15 bit colors as opposed to only 2 bits on GB, it had twice as much video RAM and four times as much system RAM; how exactly is this the same as the Game Boy other than the name? it's not like 3DS and 3DS XL or even 2DS, the 3DS and 2DS share the same RAM, same CPU and specs, the difference lies in display and storage. The same goes for DS and its revisions. The original iPhone is the same phone as the iPhone 5 or 6? It's basically the same argument.

The Game Boy and Game Boy Color are not the same console.

This is not stretching; it is fact.

No, it's a fact that you are stretching.  Not even Nintendo saw it as a true successor.  They always combine GB and GBC numbers together.  And, most importantly, they released GBA less than 2 1/2 years later.  Now, either sales for the GBC were really shitty, which also refutes your claim, OR Nintendo put out a new revision of GB only as a stop gap.  One that needed slightly improved HW to take advantage of all the new colors they were using. 

Even if you want to use it as a seperate HW, using SW sales we can clearly see the GB sold more.  You wanting to seperate them would also mean we would have to seperate the DSi from the DS, given its internal differences.  And since the DS already sold over half of the total DS+DSi units before the DSi even launched, and did not stop selling once the DSi launched, the DSi clearly sold less than the DS.

Either way you break it down, your claim is 100% false.

I think it will reach the 100m with no problem, why?

Well, let's do a little matemathical exercise to find out:

The 7th generation,when everything is said and done, will end up making around 270m (it will be more but lets just leave at that)

Now, let's suppose that this generation will see a reduction of 20% of the total install base. That would leave the 8th generation near the 215m. Now let's suppose that 25m of that amount will go to the Wii U (just for the sake of argument). That would leave 190m to be divided between the PS4 and the X1.

Now (again, just for the sake of argument) lets suppose that the market share between these two will be 55/45%. That would leave the PS4 with 104m and the X1 with 86m.

So to summarize, yes, I think it will reach the 100m.

Note: I played it safe with this numbers since  1) I'm having a hard time seeing the Wii U reaching 25m  2) I'm having a hard time seeing the X1 reaching 86m and  3) I have my doubts about the market shrinking 20% this generation. 

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

The Game Boy Color is not the same as the Game Boy and is widely regarded as the successor; it even had a next generation chipset. The main CPU was twice as fast as the original Game Boy, it featured 15 bit colors as opposed to only 2 bits on GB, it had twice as much video RAM and four times as much system RAM; how exactly is this the same as the Game Boy other than the name? it's not like 3DS and 3DS XL or even 2DS, the 3DS and 2DS share the same RAM, same CPU and specs, the difference lies in display and storage. The same goes for DS and its revisions. The original iPhone is the same phone as the iPhone 5 or 6? It's basically the same argument.

The Game Boy and Game Boy Color are not the same console.

This is not stretching; it is fact.

Even exclusive games on the GBC show for it such as Pokemon Crystal ...