By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is The Elder Scrolls the Xbox One's strongest third party franchise?

Given that Call of Duty seems to have gone from being an Xbox stronghold to more of an evenly balanced game when it comes to sales is the Elder Scrolls now the biggest multiplatform franchise to favor the Xbox systems?

Could the Elder Scrolls online on the Xbox One outsell the PS4 version? The pre-orders for America show the Xbox One version's lead growing and the Elder Scrolls has always been biggest in America and I expect the fact that the game is an MMORPG to only increase the trend towards American sales.

What do you think?

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network

I actually fully expect ESO to bomb on consoles. That the game sucks is pretty much common knowledge to anyone who would care anyway. As for an actual TES, you have to remember last gen the game either came out on Xbox first or the DLC came to Xbox first. I almost guarantee you that won't happen here. MS doesn't have the leverage. Also the PS3 version was the worst version. Again, won't be the case here, I almost guarantee that. So I see this gen the playing field with TES and Fallout being even if not favoring Sony.

I think TES will be prefered on PS4. The gap is just too big and growing for there to be a truly ptefered multiplat game on X1 in most cases.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Last gen was a little strange, because Oblivion released on 360 a year before it released on PS3. It was essentially a timed exclusive, and I would be willing to bet that swayed people to the XBox platform.

After CoD evened out as you said (which I did not see coming) I wouldn't rule anything out.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

One would think that games like Bioshock, Saints Row, Elder Scrolls etc... would be more associated with Xbox but I fully expect future iterations of these games on PS4 and XB1 to sell more on PS4 than Xbox One.

No, the PS4 version will sell more, if Xbox One were practically even in sells then sure it could but PS4 is winning by a good margin so it's only natural it sells more on that console.

Around the Network

ESO aside, the Elder Scrolls series proper will probably be nearly evenly split between the two consoles and PC. Even if the XO version does outsell the PS4 version, it will be a very slight lead. PC definitely should not be discounted, either, as Ars Technica estimated Skyrim sold 6 million on Steam, plus however many more were sold without DRM.

As for ESO, those numbers have always seemed odd to me.

given the stark difference in console sales, yes, but the difference doesnt tally with the sales difference in call of duty.

simply put, if the xbox one had sold as much as the ps4, or the ps4 as much as the xbox one, it would still have sold more on xbox one, as the attach rate for its userbase to the title is higher.

Possibly only globally in the USA (and UK) where the install bases are not so different. Actual globally I don't think Xb one will be able to outsell PS4 in any major 3rd party franchise without significant timed exclusivity and exclusive content. For instance, if Rise of the Tomb Raider gets a full year or more of console exclusivity I don't thingk the eventual PS4 version will ever catch up.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Ka-pi96 said:
Nope, I think it's main fanbase is on PC rather than consoles for starters. But even then the Xbox versions were only more popular on console because the PS versions just weren't good. This time they will probably be a main focus.

That's a good point.  Anyone owning both a PS3 and Xbox 360 would probably have bought Skyrim on the 360 unless they were unaware of the issues.  I would expect the opposite with the PS4 and XO, however.  Bethesda has already said they're very happy they both share a base with PC so I doubt we'll see any glaring problems on either console.

On the other hand, Microsoft has bought limited-time exclusive DLC from Bethesda before so it might happen again.

nah ES isn't that slanted towards Xbox. Speaking of ES where's the Skyrim PS4 port!? That would be awesome to smooth out the framrate and load times.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers