By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much hardware does Nintendo need to sell per generation to remain relevant?

Soundwave said:
People get way too caught up with semantics sometimes.

I think it's clear the OP's point is how low can Nintendo's hardware go before it's not viable for them to remain a hardware manufacturer.

Yes, and I have actually clarified that on a couple occasions but people still want to throw around "as long as they're profitable", without realizing that if hardware gets too low it means their software won't have a large enough install base to sell to which will cause them to no longer be profitable. At what point can Nintendo hardware no longer support their software?

Right now 3DS clearly show that at 50 million units sold, their 1st party franchises have a large enough userbase to sell very strong numbers on.

Pokemon X/Y-13 million

Mario Kart 7-10 million

Mario 3D Land-10 million

New Super Mario 2-8 million

Pokemon OR/AS-8 million

Animal Crossing-8 million

Smash Bros-6 million

Luigi's Mansion-4 million

Tomodachi Life-4 million

Ocarina of Time 3D-4 million

Nintendogs+Cats-3 million

Link Between Worlds-3 million

Paper Mario-2 million

Mario & Luigi-2 million

DKC Returns 3D-2 million

Fire Emblem-2 million

Kirby-1 million

Mario Party-1 million

Kid Icarus-1 million

Pokemon Mysery Dungeon-1 million

Pokemon Rumble-1 million

Yoshi's New Island-1 million

Now let's say, the next handheld sells only 20 million, would that be a large enough install base for these titles to sell high numbers? Ya the real big hitters would still be multimillion sellers but overall Nintendo wouldn't be making nearly as much money from hardware/software and would likely need to downsize then have to scale back the number of games released which would then lead to less system selling software which then leads to hardware sales continuing to decline which then leads to less profits and the cycle would continue to repeat until they are no longer able to operate.

So I agree with u that 50 million or so should be big enough of an install base for Nintendo's unified devices next-gen to have strong software sales and post strong profits.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Koinzell said:
It really was quite when it comes to all the "Nintendo is Doomed" stuff. But, on various Websites, the pessimistic News and Posts are coming back. The Problem is, everyone seems to be an Expert nowadays and pricks like Pachter are making the situation even worse. The truth is, we don't know what's going on behind the curtains of Nintendo. They do have a lot of money on the bank, so they can effort a loss. But dooming the 3DS Era is absurd. The DS and the Wii sales were gigantic, it's not that of a miracle that, after a slow start, the 3DS will not reach these numbers. Over 50 million sold units, and the New 3DS is on it's way, isn't that bad. The Playstation 4 receive currently this miracle the Wii reiceived. Without any relevant Software selling units like S***.

I really was happy not seeing these stupid "Nintendo will go Third Party" comments the past months. We are pretty far away from that. And as someone said before, you can't compare Nintendo to Multimedia Companies like Sony or Microsoft. Also Sony is making a heavy loss on most of it's brands, it's the Playstation Brand which helps them to stay steady.

The Wii U will, and that's clear, not be remebered as Nintendos most successfull System. It's still a great Console though, and I think the Wii U will sell better compared to the GameCube. Speculating and such stuff really is cool to some point, but all these "Nintendo is Doomed" debates became very predictable.

I think Nintendo don't have to worry about anything in the future. But there is a System which really have a terrible fate. It's the Vita. Own about 50 Games, it's one of my currently favourite Systems and it's selling about 2000 units in the US per week and most of the average Gamer thinks Persona 4 Golden is the only available Game.

Nothing that u wrote applies to this thread at all, this is not a Nintendo is doomed or Nintendo should go 3rd party thread, it's just a topic I found interesting, what is the minimum amount of hardware Nintendo can sell in order to maintain strong 1st party software sales and post profits?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It really depends on software attachment. If you look at Wii U for instance, it has just over a 9 million install base, yet there are 2 games creeping toward 5 million in sales and a few passing the 3 million mark, not to mention a few more million sellers. The one thing Nintendo does have total relevancy on is quality software and IP, and that will never change. As long as their bread and butter handheld division stays strong (30 million plus), then I think Nintendo can easily survive on as little as 12-15 million home console sold.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:
People get way too caught up with semantics sometimes.

I think it's clear the OP's point is how low can Nintendo's hardware go before it's not viable for them to remain a hardware manufacturer.

Yes, and I have actually clarified that on a couple occasions but people still want to throw around "as long as they're profitable", without realizing that if hardware gets too low it means their software won't have a large enough install base to sell to which will cause them to no longer be profitable. At what point can Nintendo hardware no longer support their software?

Right now 3DS clearly show that at 50 million units sold, their 1st party franchises have a large enough userbase to sell very strong numbers on.

Pokemon X/Y-13 million

Mario Kart 7-10 million

Mario 3D Land-10 million

New Super Mario 2-8 million

Pokemon OR/AS-8 million

Animal Crossing-8 million

Smash Bros-6 million

Luigi's Mansion-4 million

Tomodachi Life-4 million

Ocarina of Time 3D-4 million

Nintendogs+Cats-3 million

Link Between Worlds-3 million

Paper Mario-2 million

Mario & Luigi-2 million

DKC Returns 3D-2 million

Fire Emblem-2 million

Kirby-1 million

Mario Party-1 million

Kid Icarus-1 million

Pokemon Mysery Dungeon-1 million

Pokemon Rumble-1 million

Yoshi's New Island-1 million

Now let's say, the next handheld sells only 20 million, would that be a large enough install base for these titles to sell high numbers? Ya the real big hitters would still be multimillion sellers but overall Nintendo wouldn't be making nearly as much money from hardware/software and would likely need to downsize then have to scale back the number of games released which would then lead to less system selling software which then leads to hardware sales continuing to decline which then leads to less profits and the cycle would continue to repeat until they are no longer able to operate.

So I agree with u that 50 million or so should be big enough of an install base for Nintendo's unified devices next-gen to have strong software sales and post strong profits.

Yeah I think you're pretty spot on there especially when looking at those hardware totals. 50 million is a good ball park. 

I remember reading the Console Wars book and Tom Kalinske at Sega was saying that they never worried about making money on the hardware, they just sold it at cost because with a userbase of around 30 million they were able to make money pretty easily. 

Now home consoles have higher software attach rates than handhelds and that was in the 90s too, but it does kinda illustrate you don't neccessarily need a monstrous userbase to make decent money if you're smart about it. 

If Nintendo can get 50-55 million handhelds + 15 million home variants with both devices sharing the same software, that should be quite profitable for them. If they can make Amiibo a consistent seller for them too, that's another revenue source on top of just games. 

The unified platform approach really does make a lot of sense for them. If the home version doesn't sell so great, it doesn't really impact them so much, high profile (and probably expensive to make) games are not stuck on a very low userbase, they're not stuck with dead inventory on a console (can quickly divert the processors/RAM meant for the console to handhelds if they use the same components), and they're just not burdened with the consant "well what are we going to do with the GameCube/Wii U" dilemmas that plagued them when a console isn't super successful. 

Wow..  3ds will easily do 80 million by itself and Wiiu likely around 25 million.