By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pewdiepie Complains against Nintendo Youtube Policy

I understand that him showing a game off would up its exposure and lead to sales(even though any day a game being on sale would entice me to buy more than his influence) . But he's not being paid as an advertiser. Most gamers wouldn't be able to tell you who he is. All he wants is click bait. He's a YouTube personality and gaming is his shtick. He's just worried for his bottom line, if other companies follow suit his business model would collapse. He doesn't care about game exposure, he just wants your clicks. Watch the southpark episode making fun of this, it shows how game companies are mad how kids aren't playing games only watching others play. I'm all for concise reviews and Easter egg videos or parodies on YouTube but somebody consistently broadcasting themselves playing somebody else's creation and profiting and claiming they made good by spurning a couple sales is arrogant

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Doubt it makes much of a difference. Haters be haters.

Weird that the youtube vid shows up in your edited post, but not my quote of it.

Wait a second. The problem with these "haters" is that they are trying to make this into a profession. So without a profit (as boogie demonstrated) they have no reason to waste time(=money) on nintendo.

Dusk said:
Intrinsic said:

And its thinking like that that's got Nintendo in the hole they are in today. 

A lot of good Nintendo fans have done for the WiiU so far, if I were Nintendo u would be doing everything I can to get as much eyes on my products as possible. 

So you think him profiting off of others work is doing them a favor? 

Go create something, wait for someone to steal a portion of what you made, then come back and share your insight.

And you fail to see the big picture. How much do you think Nintendo stands to make from youtubers showing parts of their game? 

How much do you think they have to make from people buying a WiiU and games from having watched one of such videos? 

What I am saying is simple, YouTube and someone playing my console is free marketing as far as I am concerned. I would rather have as many people see my games and hopefully end up buying my console, than they see more of my competitions games.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
Mr Khan said:

Doubt it makes much of a difference. Haters be haters.

Weird that the youtube vid shows up in your edited post, but not my quote of it.

Wait a second. The problem with these "haters" is that they are trying to make this into a profession. So without a profit (as boogie demonstrated) they have no reason to waste time(=money) on nintendo.

Wait a minute. Are you implying that these guys should only make video (content) that they can profit off of.....hmmmm.

What if Nintendo took their let's plays and dub over them/editted them. Should they get profit from those videos or nah?

This is an absolutely stupid move by Nintendo. I really hope a bunch of the YouTube gamers just stop showing Nintendo games so they don't gain anything from it.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Slarvax said:
Talal said:
While I do think Nintendo do have the right to do this. I wouldn't say that the situation is the same as uploading music and movies. With music and movies if you upload them you aren't doing anything yourself you are just copy pasting. While in games you are playing the game, you are manipulating the characters. It's more comparable to remixing a song in my opinion.

Many we'll agree to that, but this is how we think. The business world doesn't work like that.

Except it is only Nintendo doing it this way. The rest of the industry is pretty much fine with youtube lets plays of their games.

It is a case by case thing really, going so far as game by game in some instances. The problem is that youtube/google should have made a policy from the get go that outlines and protects content, but I think they were afraid. 

Multishanks said:

Wait a minute. Are you implying that these guys should only make video (content) that they can profit off of.....hmmmm.

What if Nintendo took their let's plays and dub over them/editted them. Should they get profit from those videos or nah?

They have no right to dub over them or edit them because that would be the analogy of "reverse engineering" (altering the content of) the game. Which is illegal in the first place.

Gamer's are playing the games as intended.

Multishanks said:

The problem is that youtube/google should have made a policy from the get go that outlines and protects content, but I think they were afraid.

You reallly should look into that. Some mean spirited fella might even call you ingorant.

ps. not me  !

Intrinsic said:
sc94597 said:

Except he doesn't. This won't affect Nintendo fans. 

And its thinking like that that's got Nintendo in the hole they are in today. 

A lot of good Nintendo fans have done for the WiiU so far, if I were Nintendo u would be doing everything I can to get as much eyes on my products as possible. 

My point was that PewDiePie does not advertise Nintendo products. He's scared that the companies whom he does advertise products for will follow suit. He has no interest in Nintendo products. 

Youtubers make money from the ad revenues, not like Nintendo is paying them to play their game. Also to play the game they have to buy the game so Nintendo already got their money from that sale, now they're just being greedy because the Wii u isn't selling well.

I believe that if Nintendo's IPs were under creative commons he would be right.

And that anything not under creative commons is utter bullshit.