By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Apple has ALREADY released their gaming device.

Sounds like it could really be a hybrid device. I hear that Japanese cell phones are really very multipurpose, almost handheld computers. The iPhone is sounding more and more like it'll be what brings that kind of stuff to the USA mainstream.

Not that I'll be part of that revolution.  I don't even have any kind of cell phone. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:
rocketpig said:
Garcian Smith said:
Reasons why the iPhone as a gaming device will never take off:

-Device limitations. The iPhone has no face buttons or D-pad and does not accept external storage media (flash cartridges, etc.) The device also has an imprecise touchscreen which requires the use of bare hands, making precise touchscreen effects (as the DS stylus is capable of) impossible.

-Little software support. The iPhone as a gaming device will not break into the Japanese market, since it's made by an American company, and Western developers have already picked either the PSP or DS to support. Finally, Apple does not have an internal game development house, meaning they're entirely at the mercy of third parties. (As a note, no company without an internal dev studio has ever succeeded in entering either the console or handheld market.)

-Too expensive. At $400 + a yearly contract, nobody will buy it for gaming when the alternatives are a $130 DS or a $170 PSP, each of which have a sizable game library to their credit.

Apple doesn't want people to buy it for gaming. They want people to buy it, period.

If the thing gets a few decent games, it will be the equivalent to a PSP with crappier games, better multimedia functionality, internet access everywhere, phone capabilities, and one of the best interfaces ever devised for a portable device.

Except it probably won't even get "a few decent games." Why would any company develop a game for the iPhone, which has an install base of - what, 5 million? - with only a small percentage of those interested in buying games, when they could develop for 60 million on the DS or 30 million on the PSP?

http://www.latest-mobile.com/articles/apple/4-million-apple-iphone-sold_4576

In january it had an install base of just above 4 million, so yep it has about a 5-6 M install base. It averages i think around 140k per week. in the U.S.

mM

Well I can't see people buying it to play games.

Garcian Smith said:
rocketpig said:
Garcian Smith said:
Reasons why the iPhone as a gaming device will never take off:

-Device limitations. The iPhone has no face buttons or D-pad and does not accept external storage media (flash cartridges, etc.) The device also has an imprecise touchscreen which requires the use of bare hands, making precise touchscreen effects (as the DS stylus is capable of) impossible.

-Little software support. The iPhone as a gaming device will not break into the Japanese market, since it's made by an American company, and Western developers have already picked either the PSP or DS to support. Finally, Apple does not have an internal game development house, meaning they're entirely at the mercy of third parties. (As a note, no company without an internal dev studio has ever succeeded in entering either the console or handheld market.)

-Too expensive. At $400 + a yearly contract, nobody will buy it for gaming when the alternatives are a $130 DS or a $170 PSP, each of which have a sizable game library to their credit.

Apple doesn't want people to buy it for gaming. They want people to buy it, period.

If the thing gets a few decent games, it will be the equivalent to a PSP with crappier games, better multimedia functionality, internet access everywhere, phone capabilities, and one of the best interfaces ever devised for a portable device.

Except it probably won't even get "a few decent games." Why would any company develop a game for the iPhone, which has an install base of - what, 5 million? - with only a small percentage of those interested in buying games, when they could develop for 60 million on the DS or 30 million on the PSP?

Because of the extremely low cost of developing for the system, a number of smaller developers will probably jump on the system, and big third parties will see it as a nice way to gain a bit of extra profit.

Also, it's important to remember that the iPhone is NOT competing with the PSP/DS. It's in a a class of it's own game-wise, so its unlikely that PSP/DS games will have much effect on it's game sales (unless a game is a direct port) 

Omg the iphone has 256mbs of ram. Holy shit more than the wii.

Around the Network
cool48 said:

Of course not. Right now games will be just icing on an already very delicious cake.

cool48 said:
They don't have to.  Games will just become part of the iPhone's overall skill set.  We'll see how big a part it becomes. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

sc94597 said:

Dam! Then its possible for some GC graphics? !!!

mM

Holy crap this thread is growing fast.

sc94597 said:

Are you sure? That seems VERY unlikely to me.

Anyway, though, the iPhone is shaping up to be MUCH more powerful than I thought it was. Interesting.