By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Quarter results are here! 7.08M 3DS and 3.03M Wii U shipped! Wii U 9.2M total shipped! 5.7 amiibos shipped!$250 million net income! 3DS projections lowered!

I'm not sure why people praise the WiiU tracking, 300k on shelves is nothing, usually inventory levels for home console are at about 1.3m (or atleast that's what vgc suggested to me for years) .

Sure, Nintendo sells to less countries and the WiiU is selling pretty slowly, so it should have lower inventory levels, but I expect it to be at least at 600-800k.

Around the Network

WiiU shipments down YOY? I didn't think that would happen.

So they won't make their 3.6m forecast like many said Nintendo were underforecasting.

3DS overtracked like I suggested as well. Has not hit 50m (end of the year)

kumagawa said:
jetforcejiminy said:
wii u had a damn good holiday, all things considered. and so did nintendo's bottom line.

1,910,000 Wii U's shipped in a holiday quarter is good now?  How bad did you expect Wii U to shit?

relative to its performance so far, you mean? ...uh, yeah, it's on par with 2013's holiday quarter with its strongest december on record (per nintendo). second part of your post seems pretty damn unnecessary tho.

Lafiel said:

I'm not sure why people praise the WiiU tracking, 300k on shelves is nothing, usually inventory levels are about 1.5m. Sure, Nintendo sells to less countries and the WiiU is selling pretty slowly, so it should have lower inventory levels, but I expect it to be at least at 600-800k.

so they have on shelves right now more than 50% of what they sold in the whole year so far? how exactly does that work out? it's not as if retailers are falling over themselves ordering wii u's to sell... there are ~300k, tops 500k (unlikely) on shelves, meaning the tracking is indeed dead on.

Okay so Nintendo's financial year is 1st of April to 31st March

Game boy advance launch 21st March 2001

3DS launch 26th February 2011

launch and 1st full year shipments
GBA - 18.16 million
3DS - 17.14 million

2nd year
GBA - 15.65 million
3DS - 13.95 million

3rd year
GBA - 17.59 million
3DS - 12.24 million

4th year
GBA - 15.40 million for full year
3DS - 7.08 million for 9 months

in the first quarter of 2014 the 3DS shipped 590,000 units will the first quarter of 2015 improve on that and at least allow the 3DS to get 50% of the GBA's shipments in the same time frame?

Miyamotoo said:
Then profit is 508 million dollars for Q3 alone?

Quarterly profit is meaningless only full year profit matters.

Around the Network
Seece said:

3DS overtracked like I suggested as well. Has not hit 50m (end of the year)

it's at 49.5m at worst, possibly more if you account for inventory clearing for new 3ds. comparable to ps4 overtracking before sony announced 18.5m.

kumagawa said:

Quarterly profit is meaningless only full year profit matters.

how does this make sense? quarters are in fact the constituent parts of a year. two consecutive quarters of strong profits (esp. compared to, say, microsoft's dramatic losses on the now permanently discounted xbone hardware) = good = full fiscal year profits (which they're on track for).

jetforcejiminy said:
so they have on shelves right now more than 50% of what they sold in the whole year so far? how exactly does that work out? it's not as if retailers are falling over themselves ordering wii us to sell... there are 300k, tops 500k on shelves, meaning the tracking is indeed correct.

but the WiiU also isn't hard to find at all, pretty much every retailer has several units around - 300k would indicate lots of shops without any consoles from my experience, as there are tens of thousends of shops carrying the item in the countries Nintendo ships to

Btw I don't know who I said this to (I think it was tbone) but looks like I might turn out right with saying that Sony made the most money (operating income) on gaming this holiday season.

Lafiel said:

jetforcejiminy said:
so they have on shelves right now more than 50% of what they sold in the whole year so far? how exactly does that work out? it's not as if retailers are falling over themselves ordering wii us to sell... there are 300k, tops 500k on shelves, meaning the tracking is indeed correct.

but the WiiU also isn't hard to find at all, pretty much every retailer has several units around - 300k would indicate lots of shops without any consoles from my experience, as there are tens of thousends of shops carrying the item in the countries Nintendo ships to

yeah, you know what, i'll take your rock-solid anecdotal evidence over the system's consistently anemic sales and assume they have 50%+ of what they've sold so far between april 1 and december 31 on shelves right now. in f'n january.

low demand ensures availability even if the actual # of units on shelves is not terribly high. typical january sales for wii u are like 50k ww--they've hovered around that for both januaries on record. usual january-march sales are ~300k. so they have 1.5m on shelves for 50k january sales? for 300k january-march sales? or... do they have closer to 300k? a real stumper, right?

Lafiel said:

jetforcejiminy said:

Don't forget that if we go by vgchartz numbers about 130-140k of those 300k are in Japan.