By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Western developed Games vs. Eastern developed Games (Japanese). Which do you prefer?

Tagged games:

Do you prefer Western Developed games or Japanese Developed games?

Japanese Games! I'm an o... 91 46.67%

Western Games! All about ... 54 27.69%

Both! Master Gamer in the house! 45 23.08%

See Results. 5 2.56%

Total:195

If it's good, I don't give a flying crap where the devs are from :P . The differences really aren't as pronounced as they used to be either. Xenoblade Chronicles, for example, definitely falls in the middle with a lot of western elements mixed with the Japanese. Other games do as well.

I love Bioshock Infinite, The Elder Scrolls series, Total War, and Fallout, but I also really enjoy Xenoblade, Kirby, F-Zero, Smash, and some olde Japanese games like Chrono Trigger. I don't really have a firm preference.

Around the Network
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
curl-6 said:

Japanese.
Most Western games these days are too cinematic and/or dudebro-oriented for my taste.

We are a dying breed bro...

I think it's likely a generational thing. Which consoles did you grow up with?

curl-6 said:
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
curl-6 said:

Japanese.
Most Western games these days are too cinematic and/or dudebro-oriented for my taste.

We are a dying breed bro...

Master System, SNES, Gameboy Pocket and Color, N64, and the Dreamcast... That's when gaming was real gaming man! It's not bad now, just DIFFERENT...

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
curl-6 said:

Master System, SNES, Gameboy Pocket and Color, N64, and the Dreamcast... That's when gaming was real gaming man! It's not bad now, just DIFFERENT...

Yeah I was a child of the SNES generation as well.

Um, I normally don't give a crap about where my games are developed, but I think that I need to go with the Weaboos. Western devs just don't have interesting concepts for games anymore, most of them, anyway. (May Irrational Games RIP in peace.)

I'm now filled with determination.

Around the Network

Japan all the way its undeniable fact, since NES came out gaming started to be fun. Even today if you consider how less AAA titles/consoles sell there and in relation to their population they outproduce every country in gaming.
That says alot about their quality games people enjoy and the creativity of japanese devolopers, i just wish japanese people themselvs would see it one day and buy their own games.

After US and japan there is no real other country that produces that many games so you cant really say its west vs east its japan vs US, another thing people and espacially none-americans get wrong if they think the West is dominant.

SubiyaCryolite said:

Do you truly believe that western games have more cinematics than gameplay? Story is a big part of Deus Ex and The Last ogf Us  so it only makes sense that the first few minutes are spent on exposition, would you rather be thrown into the action wihout a clue of whats going on? Furthermore, you could always skip them if you wish. I recently played through Ground Zeroes and despite it having a lot of interesting cinematics the vast majority of my time was spent playing.  

I used to prefer Japanese games when I played exclusively on consoles. Getting into PC gaming changed all that and I only stick with a few Japanese franchises now.

Story can be told without cutscenes and cinematics, and frankly they're better for games when they are done this way. Cue System Shock 2, Half Life, Journey, Bioshock, Super Metroid, Etc.

Don't think that's a Western exclusive problem though. Japan is just as guilty.

spemanig said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Do you truly believe that western games have more cinematics than gameplay? Story is a big part of Deus Ex and The Last ogf Us  so it only makes sense that the first few minutes are spent on exposition, would you rather be thrown into the action wihout a clue of whats going on? Furthermore, you could always skip them if you wish. I recently played through Ground Zeroes and despite it having a lot of interesting cinematics the vast majority of my time was spent playing.  

I used to prefer Japanese games when I played exclusively on consoles. Getting into PC gaming changed all that and I only stick with a few Japanese franchises now.

Story can be told without cutscenes and cinematics, and frankly they're better for games when they are done this way. Cue System Shock 2, Half Life, Journey, Bioshock, Super Metroid, Etc.

Don't think that's a Western exclusive problem though. Japan is just as guilty.

Seems more common in Western Games.

Only Japanese Franschise that does it a lot is Konami... other than that name a few more.

I enjoy both. I love Nintendo games because of the creativity but dislike other Japanese made games. I like a mix of Nintendo and Western games.

http://www.whoisjesus-really.com/

Wii U + PS4 

Consoles>Mobile

I actually like a mixture of both!