By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Who's going to download the free Windows 10?

Getting Windows 10?

Hells Yeah m*thaf*cka 265 80.06%

Nuh ah, ain't nobody got time for that 62 18.73%

Total:327

Sorry for a noob question, but is W10 fully compatible with all or most pc games? Steam and GOG?

“Ore no... Kachi da!”

Around the Network
bonkeng said:
Sorry for a noob question, but is W10 fully compatible with all or most pc games? Steam and GOG?

yes. though windows also has a compatibility mode for stuff that is written poorly or needs various out of date API's.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Umm no... Based on what they have said, there is not going to be a subscription model... Microsoft literily said, there is not going to be a subscription model... Its even in the links that you have provided.

Maybe you are getting confused as to what they mean when they said that they are going to "charge users" after the first year but if you read the articles and tweets they have given out, they explain it quite easily.

For everyone that upgrades within the first year of release, it will be free for them and it will be free forever. No subscription model and no extra charges when it comes to the OS or its Updates. After its first year of release, the users that have not upgraded for free will have to upgrade the regular way which is that they have to buy the OS for ~$150. Again, no subcription model, no other nonsense that is related to the OS.

"Susan Bradley, a Microsoft MVP and writer for Windows Secrets, relayed that Nadella reiterated to journalists that all customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free within a one-year period following the operating system’s launch later this year. After that one-year window (no pun intended) expires, users will have to pay for Windows, just as they always have. Those who have already downloaded it for free get to keep it forever, though. It won’t suddenly expire or require customers to pay when the one-year period is up."

Legit, from your links

I apologize. Here are some better links that illustrate my point:

Computer World

Myerson seems to be saying that with Windows being delivered as a service, Windows 10 may well be the last "big-bang" version of the operating system, the last time that Windows gets a major single overhaul. Instead, it will be continually updated like any Web service -- like Gmail, for example.

What's not clear yet is Microsoft's revenue model for this. Will you only need to buy Windows once and will it automatically auto-upgrade for free forever? Will you need to pay a subscription fee every year? Will you be able to buy subscriptions for multiple devices? Microsoft is playing coy at this point and not giving out any answers.

ZDNet

What happens from here is that Microsoft becomes a subscription based company. Will consumers buy a Windows 10 subscription? Perhaps. But Microsoft will need to throw in Office, storage and other goodies. On the enterprise front, companies will pay for support. It'll be interesting to see Microsoft's churn in the future.

Again, all speculation.

So is windows 10 free only as an upgrade to windows 8 users? or can anyone get it free.

Nettles said:
So is windows 10 free only as an upgrade to windows 8 users? or can anyone get it free.

It is free for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 customers, but only for one year.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
mysticwolf said:
Nettles said:
Nah, sticking with win7, don't see any need to upgrade at this stage.

Agreed, I really like 7

If you don't play games or care about security or performance improvements and 7 does it for you then why change. Personally all those items matter to me so I will be upgrading as soon as it is available of MSDN.

How is Windows 10 an improvement in these regards? Please excuse my ignorance

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

mysticwolf said:

From what I can tell the main reason to have Windows 10 would be to have DirectX 12. Or because you have Windows 8/8.1 that was pre-installed, and you want to go back to the Windows 7 feel.

Ill wait a week just to make sure theres no horrible bugs, but of course.

I like Win7, but it will not support DX12. Literally no reason to stay.

mysticwolf said:
nanarchy said:
mysticwolf said:
Nettles said:
Nah, sticking with win7, don't see any need to upgrade at this stage.

Agreed, I really like 7

If you don't play games or care about security or performance improvements and 7 does it for you then why change. Personally all those items matter to me so I will be upgrading as soon as it is available of MSDN.

DX 12 supposedly gets a lot of mantle like performance boosts. Builtin support for Multi Factor authentication, app signing service is also on the cards as well as improved boot times. Phone auth, NTLM isolation, new spartan browser, biometrics support, breach and phish resistent credentials, there is a lot more but most of the others are more focused on enterprise.