By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft HoloLens Announced + Windows Holographic

SvennoJ said:
Protendo said:

I didn't think this needed it's own thread, but Peter Molyneux the overhype machine has something to say.

Peter Molyneux warns Microsoft to not over promise on HoloLen

Looks like he really got burned by Kinect trying to make Fable The Journey. Interesting to see him comd down to earth.
He's right of course, just like Illumiroom, the biggest challenge is going from a known controlled environment to working anywhere. Nevermind requiring a whole new way to write videogames that can work in any type of environment instead of premade set pieces. It remains to be seen if it will actually lead to anything more interesting than Eye pet, Tumble, Kinectimals and Happy action theater.

Well while I agree with that (should not over promise), there is a difference between Illumiroom and HoloLens.

HoloLens is announced as future viable product by Microsoft (they still need to keep their promise) while Illumiroom never was and Microsoft CLEARLY stated it was a demo/prototype from their R&D department. I do not believe Microsoft is well know for that anyway (announcing stuff and not doing them), like any other companies out there it happens sometime but they are not like over the average regarding this.

Lately, Google seems to be champion in that area actually :) (Google Glass, The Q thing, etc...)
But in no way I'm blamming them as it is a good way to try out things and see how the market/public will react to it before to take more risks. It also let us see very cool things being develop by those R&D dept.

In any case, I liked Illuminiroom concept to be honest :( So I wanted very much Microsoft to make it a real product but HoloLens will do

Around the Network

I was thinking about the price of this thing. If they can manage to have a full computer in it (including the specialized OS (Windows Holographics)), I believe it will be between 500$ and 1500$ depending on the power.

To me, it is a good price range if it delivers it promise. After all, it is a computer right there, no need to have any PC/Xbox One or any other device.

Being able to stream Xbox One games on this will be cool too. (but it needs a way to plug the controller or it will requires supports for direct wifi to the controller which is very unlikely)